Need help with computer upgrade / comp running slow

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Gregypo085

17 Jul 2018

I run a lot of Rack Extensions, mainly synths. I know a lot of them can be more intensive than others but I am looking for help to improve my computers performance running RE. I used to use a Mac Mini and or a 2012 MacBook Pro but recently bought a PC for gaming hoping I could also run Reason on it. It runs decently but I am hoping to run more RE and VSTs (Diva). Due to the price of video cards I got an Alienware prebuilt on sale for a decent price.

Alienware - Aurora R7 Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 1TB Hard Drive + Intel Optane Memory

I am currently using the focusrite scarlett 2i4

Again, I am looking to run a lot of Rack Extensions not too much audio (mainly vocals). I've seen others discuss DSP Cards but these were non reason users. Do you have any suggestions for performance improvement (system settings, upgrades)? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

jappe

17 Jul 2018

Hello & Welcome to the forum!

You'll find some performance tuning advise in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7506991&p=392746

I can also recommend this thread for benchmarking Reason on your system & comparing with other ppls setups:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7501402

audiojoe07

30 Jul 2018

Hey there,

That's a great question. I recently built a PC optimized for audio production. While the main priority of this build was to have a silent computer for the studio, I noticed significant improvements in DAW and plugin performance after upgrading the computer's CPU and RAM. However, there was no improvement that had better results than upgrading my audio interface. The Scarlett 2i4 Is a solid budget interface, but you can expect that you will not get the best performance with this interface. I upgraded from a Mackie audio interface to a RME Fireface UFX and noticed a huge boost in performance. It became pretty clear that upgrades to my computer were marginal, but upgrades to my audio interface were hugely impactful.

I'd recommend checking out https://www.audiogearz.com/ if you need more specific help. They have a live producer's chat that would be glad to help you out with any more questions regarding this.

antic604

07 Aug 2018

audiojoe07 wrote:
30 Jul 2018
The Scarlett 2i4 Is a solid budget interface, but you can expect that you will not get the best performance with this interface. I upgraded from a Mackie audio interface to a RME Fireface UFX and noticed a huge boost in performance.
Wonder if it has anything to do with it costing 8-10x more? ;)

• Information