Roland System-8 Updated

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
raymondh

29 Jun 2018

If anyone owns a System-8, head off to the Roland site and download the new v1.2 O/S update and patches.

It makes a fantastic synth even more capable, with additional FM capabilities and bringing the Jupiter 8 and Juno filters into the System 8 engine (not just the J8, 106 plugouts).

Gregypo085

17 Jul 2018

THANK YOU! Know that this post wasn't in vain. I own a System 8 and a Rev 2. This is great news for me! Cheers

raymondh

17 Jul 2018

Gregypo085 wrote:
17 Jul 2018
THANK YOU! Know that this post wasn't in vain. I own a System 8 and a Rev 2. This is great news for me! Cheers
That's a great combo!

Gregypo085

17 Jul 2018

raymondh wrote:
17 Jul 2018
Gregypo085 wrote:
17 Jul 2018
That's a great combo!
Thanks! Based on your picture I might guess that you make or like synthwave stuff. If you're interested we should share patches to mess with.

raymondh

18 Jul 2018

Gregypo085 wrote:
17 Jul 2018
raymondh wrote:
17 Jul 2018

That's a great combo!
Thanks! Based on your picture I might guess that you make or like synthwave stuff. If you're interested we should share patches to mess with.
Yep I'm stuck in the 80s!
Haven't done much with getting patches out of my S8 but when I figure it out, I'll attach a link so you can download. Pretty happy with some of my patches :)

Some other recommendations;
- u-he Diva is excellent. Also good for designing a sound and then copying the settings to the System 8. The System 8 then makes it sound even better - seems more three dimensional for some reason I don't understand.
- u-he Repro 5 is a fantastic warm Prophet 5 emulation. If you wanted a more authentic original P5 sound than the Rev 2 will give you, then the Repro would be very complementary. (Of course Repro could not reproduce the amazing amount of modulation control or the contemporary analog sounds you can get from your Rev 2)

selig
RE Developer

18 Jul 2018

Just got a chance to play the System 8 (with the new update freshly installed) at a gig last night. So fun to work with a Roland again (I started on a Jupiter 8 and just sold my JP8000 earlier this year).

Not 100% sure this is the poly synth for me (not enough mod sources, for one). But def in the top 5 out there today IMO. Being able to use the plug-out’s filters for the main engine is nice, as are the new formant filters and FM oscillators.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

raymondh

18 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
18 Jul 2018
Just got a chance to play the System 8 (with the new update freshly installed) at a gig last night. So fun to work with a Roland again (I started on a Jupiter 8 and just sold my JP8000 earlier this year).

Not 100% sure this is the poly synth for me (not enough mod sources, for one). But def in the top 5 out there today IMO. Being able to use the plug-out’s filters for the main engine is nice, as are the new formant filters and FM oscillators.

I'm envious you've used the real JP8!!

I hear you about the lack of modulation sources. It would be nice if it had 2 LFOs. OTOH I sold my DSI Mopho x4 because while it was incredibly versatile, there was too much menu diving and context switching on the controls. To me the real attraction of hardware is the instant / tactile control. I love one knob = one function.

Totally agree the JP8 and JU106 filters on the main engine is a huge deal as are the FM oscillators. This synth might overtake my current all time favourite, the JX8P!

selig
RE Developer

18 Jul 2018

raymondh wrote:
selig wrote:
18 Jul 2018

I hear you about the lack of modulation sources. It would be nice if it had 2 LFOs. OTOH I sold my DSI Mopho x4 because while it was incredibly versatile, there was too much menu diving and context switching on the controls. To me the real attraction of hardware is the instant / tactile control. I love one knob = one function.

Totally agree the JP8 and JU106 filters on the main engine is a huge deal as are the FM oscillators. This synth might overtake my current all time favourite, the JX8P!
That’s why I’m currently leaning towards the Novation Peak as a poly synth (there’s no keyboard version though). Plenty of mod sources, not much menu diving.

Selig Audio, LLC

Gregypo085

18 Jul 2018

raymondh wrote:
18 Jul 2018
Gregypo085 wrote:
17 Jul 2018

Haven't done much with getting patches out of my S8 but when I figure it out, I'll attach a link so you can download. Pretty happy with some of my patches :)

- u-he Diva is excellent. Also good for designing a sound and then copying the settings to the System 8. The System 8 then makes it sound even better - seems more three dimensional for some reason I don't understand.
- u-he Repro 5 is a fantastic warm Prophet 5 emulation. If you wanted a more authentic original P5 sound than the Rev 2 will give you, then the Repro would be very complementary. (Of course Repro could not reproduce the amazing amount of modulation control or the contemporary analog sounds you can get from your Rev 2)
Yeah I just got Diva, thanks for the heads up! On a side note, are you talking about manually copying/recreating the Diva sound on the system 8 or is there some type of export/import feature I am missing?

raymondh

18 Jul 2018

Gregypo085 wrote:
18 Jul 2018
raymondh wrote:
18 Jul 2018

Yeah I just got Diva, thanks for the heads up! On a side note, are you talking about manually copying/recreating the Diva sound on the system 8 or is there some type of export/import feature I am missing?
It's manual, but very easy. Try "beauty pad" and see how you go :)

raymondh

18 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
18 Jul 2018
raymondh wrote:

That’s why I’m currently leaning towards the Novation Peak as a poly synth (there’s no keyboard version though). Plenty of mod sources, not much menu diving.

I'll have to check that out too!

Gregypo085

24 Jul 2018

raymondh wrote:
29 Jun 2018
If anyone owns a System-8, head off to the Roland site and download the new v1.2 O/S update and patches.

It makes a fantastic synth even more capable, with additional FM capabilities and bringing the Jupiter 8 and Juno filters into the System 8 engine (not just the J8, 106 plugouts).
I am finally going to update today but I meant to ask, does the update clear the current patches? I have a bunch of custom patches I don't want to lose that I haven't backed up yet.

jimmyklane

24 Jul 2018

raymondh wrote:
29 Jun 2018

This is a synth I’ve had my eye on for some time. I’m not too happy about the short keybed, but other than that it seems like it’s a really capable synth. This is going to sound a little snobby, but I swear I don’t mean it that way: Do you own any analog synths? Specifically interested in the filter’s behavior. If your able to compare it to something in the Roland line-up of yore than it would be even better! I’ve got some really nice digital synths and samplers....the Virus sounds really nice, and the Emu Ultra is perhaps my favorite digital filter emulation I’ve heard in hardware (the u-He stuff is above and beyond, but also computationally “expensive”). If you’re familiar with analog polysynths it would be nice, but I’d value your overall opinion in any case if you’re willing to go into a little detail about how you use it and what you like/dislike about its architecture, sound, features, and implementation.

Hope you have a little time to answer on this!
-Jim
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

raymondh

24 Jul 2018

Gregypo085 wrote:
24 Jul 2018

I am finally going to update today but I meant to ask, does the update clear the current patches? I have a bunch of custom patches I don't want to lose that I haven't backed up yet.
No it doesn't clear the patches.

There is a separate download from the Roland site that has new patches that use the new features. You can replace selected patch slots with the new patches.

raymondh

24 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
24 Jul 2018
raymondh wrote:
29 Jun 2018

This is a synth I’ve had my eye on for some time. I’m not too happy about the short keybed, but other than that it seems like it’s a really capable synth. This is going to sound a little snobby, but I swear I don’t mean it that way: Do you own any analog synths? Specifically interested in the filter’s behavior. If your able to compare it to something in the Roland line-up of yore than it would be even better! I’ve got some really nice digital synths and samplers....the Virus sounds really nice, and the Emu Ultra is perhaps my favorite digital filter emulation I’ve heard in hardware (the u-He stuff is above and beyond, but also computationally “expensive”). If you’re familiar with analog polysynths it would be nice, but I’d value your overall opinion in any case if you’re willing to go into a little detail about how you use it and what you like/dislike about its architecture, sound, features, and implementation.

Hope you have a little time to answer on this!
-Jim
I agree it would have been better if 5 octaves.

On the analog synths, yes - I have a JX-8P. I used to have a Dave Smith Mopho x4 too but I sold that.

It's hard to compare apples with apples because the JX filter would sound different to the hardware JP and JU filters. It's not just the filter chip, it's the electronics around it that are different in the synths. And after all these years, even two JP8s or JU 106s would invariably sound different due to the aging of the electronics. I've never seen, let alone played a real Jupiter 8. I did play a Juno 106 about 30 years ago so that doesn't count haha.

On my Soundcloud page, I have some 'synth demos' where I've tried to showcase a particular synth. Not useful for A/B because also processing the sounds with plenty of FX.

Some random thoughts (and just my opinions);
- The attraction of analog hardware to me is more than the filter. Most significantly it is the slight unpredictability/instability and aging that gives the instrument (and performance) some extra character. The perfection in imperfection. But even "analog" synths don't always get that right :) The JX and Junos have analog oscillators but they're digitally controlled which takes much (but not all) of the 'random' out of it. the JX has software envelopes.
- The JX8P filter is often scorned by critics but I like it. The only complaint I'd have is that it's not multi-mode.
- The System 8 filters are divine. It's fun with the new o/s update to make a sound in the system 8 engine, then compare the System 8 engine filter vs the Jupiter 8 filter vs the Juno 106 filter. They are really different and they all sound very nice and warm (and analog). They also sizzle, which is what you expect from a Roland analog.
- Very slight complaint is for very high pitched notes, there is a little bit of aliasing and the sound thins out a bit, compared to the continued sweetness of the JX8P. That's the only area where the actual analog hardware is noticeably better than the digital emulation, to my ears.
- The DSI Mopho sounds huge, has an incredibly powerful modulation capability, is unquestionably analog but I really struggled to make it sound warm without adding a ton of FX. The filter IMO has a much smaller sweet spot than the Roland filter, at least for the retro sounds I like. The "slop" parameter (which emulates analog osc tuning drift) does not have much effect. I'm much happier with the software Repro-5.
- The whole analog vs digital / software debate is certainly a lot more than a binary decision. Some other considerations for an analog synth are (1) how much of it is analog [quite a few 'analog' synths have digital envelopes and most have DCOs], and there is a big difference in sound from the old analogs that used discrete electronics vs the modern analogs, some with emulations of classic filter chips (so even new hardware synths are in a way emulations :) ), and certainly it is true that there is a wide range of hardware designs - some where some fully analog synths can be walked over by even average software emulations.

raymondh

08 Aug 2018

More great news everyone - head over to download 1.3 of the operating system and get your FREE JX-3P plugout in slot 3!!!

Happy #808day !

• Information