Got Eurorack? Show your Modular Grid!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 21 Jun 2018

In the gearslutz spirit I figured I'd start a similar thread over here as I'd love to see what other Reason users are doing in the eurorack world. (Hopefully that's alright!)

This is me at the moment:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/666927

Image

Using a mantis case at the moment, but I'll be selling it soon and switching to a homemade 9u 168hp (504hp total) case.

I've been using a beatstep pro, looking to add a keystep once I can get my hands on one. I also run a pair of Sub 37's into the modular quite a bit.

I love using the expert sleepers RE in Reason.... the ES-6 + ES-3 combo is just absolutely brilliant. I also use the excellent Robotic Bean CV-O / CV-I modules. Using PSQ1684 / ZFO / Shape / Skope a ton... basically all the Lectric Panda awesomeness.

User avatar
modecca
Posts: 719
Joined: 07 Jul 2016

Post 21 Jun 2018

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Jun 2018
In the gearslutz spirit I figured I'd start a similar thread over here as I'd love to see what other Reason users are doing in the eurorack world. (Hopefully that's alright!)

This is me at the moment:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/666927

Image

Using a mantis case at the moment, but I'll be selling it soon and switching to a homemade 9u 168hp (504hp total) case.

I've been using a beatstep pro, looking to add a keystep once I can get my hands on one. I also run a pair of Sub 37's into the modular quite a bit.

I love using the expert sleepers RE in Reason.... the ES-6 + ES-3 combo is just absolutely brilliant. I also use the excellent Robotic Bean CV-O / CV-I modules. Using PSQ1684 / ZFO / Shape / Skope a ton... basically all the Lectric Panda awesomeness.
Roughly how much did that all of that cost?
¡ɹǝɥʇoɥɔɐǝ ɟo doʇ uo pǝʞɔɐʇs llɐ 'sǝɹuǝƃ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 uᴉ 'sƃuos ʇuǝɹǝɟɟᴉp 9 oʇ ƃuᴉuǝʇsᴉl ɟo soɐɥɔ ƃuᴉɯlɐɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʞᴉl ƃuᴉɥʇou sᴉ ǝɹǝɥ┴

jimmyklane
Posts: 738
Joined: 16 Apr 2018

Post 21 Jun 2018

Never got in to modular.....odd for a sound designer I suppose.
DAW: Reason 10,

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1512
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jun 2018

Price for those interested is on the site -as well as voltage/ amp usage.
Add up your REs. You probably bought this skiff twice over.
And, modular ... is a sound designer’s dream. Just like Reason is.

About your board....
I spy Morphegene. Steady State Fates. STO is your choice (no Dixie 2+?) - ahhh! Life forms...!
I gotta research that Super filter you’ve got there...
....and, we have a ZVEX!

You have taste.
Crumbfort wrote:
21 Jun 2018
In the gearslutz spirit I figured I'd start a similar thread over here as I'd love to see what other Reason users are doing in the eurorack world. (Hopefully that's alright!)

This is me at the moment:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/666927

Image

Using a mantis case at the moment, but I'll be selling it soon and switching to a homemade 9u 168hp (504hp total) case.

I've been using a beatstep pro, looking to add a keystep once I can get my hands on one. I also run a pair of Sub 37's into the modular quite a bit.

I love using the expert sleepers RE in Reason.... the ES-6 + ES-3 combo is just absolutely brilliant. I also use the excellent Robotic Bean CV-O / CV-I modules. Using PSQ1684 / ZFO / Shape / Skope a ton... basically all the Lectric Panda awesomeness.

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 1709
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post 22 Jun 2018


madmacman
Posts: 468
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2018

And here's mine:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440521

It is mainly designed as a versatile monosynth with extensive modulation options. And it's pretty much done. No module changes for >1 year now.

Image

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 2066
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Post 22 Jun 2018

madmacman wrote:
22 Jun 2018
And it's pretty much done. No module changes for >1 year now.
I envy you! That's why I'm sticking with VCV and Reaktor... Knowing myself, it'd bug me all the time that I've not bough module X instead of Y or that I don't have space for Z anymore, which would lead to buying a 2nd case where all would repeat... No, thanks :)
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - "Psytrance in Bitwig Studio" tutorial

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1512
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2018

I take note of :
- Yarns, that cool dual ADSR, and the Z 3000
- and, you must be one mad scientist with CV. Good Lord, that's awesome.
Function, Logic, Mixers, Filters, LFOs, Inverters...

well done.

now, where's Maths?? A Scope? - unless you 'see All' already.
EDIT: I see you're all packed in..

No module changes for >1 year now.
No changes... Congrats!!

madmacman wrote:
22 Jun 2018
And here's mine:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440521

It is mainly designed as a versatile monosynth with extensive modulation options. And it's pretty much done. No module changes for >1 year now.

Image
Last edited by O1B on 27 Jun 2018, edited 2 times in total.


madmacman
Posts: 468
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jun 2018

O1B wrote:
22 Jun 2018
I take note of :
- Yarns, that cool dual ADSR, and the Z 3000
- and, you must be one mad scientist with CV. Good Lord, that's awesome.
Function, Logic, Mixers, Filters, LFOs, Inverters...

well done.

now, where's Maths?? A Scope? - unless you 'see All' already.
EDIT: I see you all packed it.

No module changes for >1 year now.
No changes... Congrats!!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/440521
Thanks for your comments :) I'll try to explain a little further:

1. Yeah, I tried hard to keep some "balance" into my module selection. Nothing overemphasized, a good mix of oscillators, filters, and the fun stuff, of course.

2. Maths: that's a long story. And I still consider buying a Maths. But: The rack is not the only stuff I have for patching. There's also a Doepfer Dark Energy (first gen.), a Moog Werkstatt (Transistor Ladder Filter, yummy!), and last but not least a MakeNoise 0-Coast. The latter also has some "Function light" generator. So, with a 0-Coast plus a MN Function plus the Circuit Abbey Invy I'm quite close. An additional Maths would be somewhat redundant (if "redundant" is a valid term for Modular synths :lol: )

3. Scope: Right, no scope! But sometimes I plug an iPad with some freeware scope app to my setup and watch.

4. Finally: I didn't buy new modules for a long time now for several reasons:
* not much interested in "Digital" or complex modules;
* the market is a little bit hyped recently (too many new modules, no chance to keep track)
* my rack is full ;)

But there's a tiny back door: I still have my (now empty) Doepfer "Beauty Case" with 32HP which I could fill. There's some stuff I might buy one day: Mutable Instruments Plaits, the Doepfer A-106-5 SEM filter, and maybe one or two 4HP CV toys.

Ok, that was much text. I'll stop now...

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1464
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 25 Jun 2018

(A bit off topic. Apologies). Is anyone using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 module in their Eurorack with Reason? I'm curious to know how well this works ......... or doesn't!

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 28 Jun 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Jun 2018
(A bit off topic. Apologies). Is anyone using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 module in their Eurorack with Reason? I'm curious to know how well this works ......... or doesn't!
I don't have experience with the ES-8 (just ES-6 + ES-3, which are great). There's a guy over at gearslutz who recently posted about getting an FH-2 to use with reason specifically:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular ... ad-24.html

Post #715 in that thread. If you're not registered over there I'd be happy to ask him a few questions about it. Granted, the FH-2 and ES-8 are quite different modules, so maybe it won't be helpful! Hah, just thought I'd throw that out there.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1464
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 29 Jun 2018

Thanks for that, crumb. I'm on GearSlutz so I'll drop the guy a line.

I've never heard of the FH-2. Is it a new module do you know?

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 29 Jun 2018

No problem! I think it's pretty new, yeah. Modulargrid lists it as the third newest of the expert sleepers offerings.

On a side note, two new modules! Pressure Points and an Intellijel Shifty. Woo!

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1512
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 13 Aug 2018

I have 2 RBrutes 6Us and a intellijel 4U 104. (waiting on the 42HP 4U ) (pic below is not mine)
Image
I hope to need only one &7U 104 and a couple 4Us 84-104.

BUT - what is the size of that monster?? I just noticed how HP it was.

Ill post some shots when I figure out the 'travel pack'

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Jun 2018

This is me at the moment:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/666927

Image

Using a mantis case at the moment, but I'll be selling it soon and switching to a homemade 9u 168hp (504hp total) case.

I've been using a beatstep pro, looking to add a keystep once I can get my hands on one. I also run a pair of Sub 37's into the modular quite a bit.

I love using the expert sleepers RE in Reason.... the ES-6 + ES-3 combo is just absolutely brilliant. I also use the excellent Robotic Bean CV-O / CV-I modules. Using PSQ1684 / ZFO / Shape / Skope a ton... basically all the Lectric Panda awesomeness.

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 13 Aug 2018

Hah! Yeah the new case is much bigger, 9u 168hp. Built it with my dad a little while ago. Using the TipTop bus power which I am quite liking. I really like the look of those newer intellijel cases... can certainly see some of those in my future.

This is my extremely tentative plan for the future of this case:

Image

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 20 Dec 2018

So, just curious... where are people at with their eurorack rigs? My plans have (of course) changed massively and dramatically since my last post. :puf_bigsmile:

Here's my plan at the moment, which will also certainly change! :

Image

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/803385

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7741
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 20 Dec 2018

Impressive Racks… ;)

I'm about to start dipping my toe into the Eurorack waters, so this is all very informative to me.

I'm planning on starting with a MiniBrute2s (not only for the synth but also the sequencer), and Arturia's 2x 6U rack. I will be using this setup live, so it needs to be somewhat portable. The setup will be controlled (if all goes to plan) by the Novation SLIII and a Novation Peak for poly work. Just got a new lap top so I can have Reason along for the ride, but in past performances I found I really missed physical controls. A lot of what I do is heavily improvised, so I can't just hit play and sit back and enjoy the music!

For those well along on this journey, what experience (positive and negative) can you share to those of use just starting out?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 21 Dec 2018

Sounds like a really fun setup you have planned. What are your tentative plans for your eurorack rig, if you don't mind my asking? Always curious to see what modules other people are into/starting out with.

Some random thoughts from my slightly less than a year with eurorack...:

-Didn't realize it before, but I love Low Pass Gates. Really enjoy my Pittsburghs. Usually use maths as an envelope to shape the signal further. I have an LxD on order as well. Would really like a Rabid Elephant Natural Gate, but I guess the wait time is like 18 months and I just can't do it, hah.

-Didn't think I would like the o_C, but it's really grown on me. Once I got a bit used to a few of the modes I use the most it has become pretty quick and intuitive.

-Pamela's New Workout has been great for so many things. Awesome module.

-Lots of utilities and VCAs everywhere just makes everything so much deeper/more interconnected/fun (seems obvious, I know :puf_bigsmile: )

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7741
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Dec 2018

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Dec 2018
Sounds like a really fun setup you have planned. What are your tentative plans for your eurorack rig, if you don't mind my asking? Always curious to see what modules other people are into/starting out with.

Some random thoughts from my slightly less than a year with eurorack...:

-Didn't realize it before, but I love Low Pass Gates. Really enjoy my Pittsburghs. Usually use maths as an envelope to shape the signal further. I have an LxD on order as well. Would really like a Rabid Elephant Natural Gate, but I guess the wait time is like 18 months and I just can't do it, hah.

-Didn't think I would like the o_C, but it's really grown on me. Once I got a bit used to a few of the modes I use the most it has become pretty quick and intuitive.

-Pamela's New Workout has been great for so many things. Awesome module.

-Lots of utilities and VCAs everywhere just makes everything so much deeper/more interconnected/fun (seems obvious, I know :puf_bigsmile: )
I've changed my mind 4-5 times now, and have many modular grid setups sketched out! Luckily, there's an amazing shop near by (Control, Brooklyn) which allows me to audition things before making a purchase, because there way too many options out there these days.

Overall, the MiniBrute handles basic oscillator/LFO/filter duties for one voice, so the modular can go further out.
Additionally, the modular won't need to handle rhythmic sequencing (I'll have the MiniBrute 2s and the SLIII for sequencing), and will mostly likely need to handle the self-playing ambient sound-scape end of things

I have not considered wavetable digital oscillators previously, but recently Plaits and Shapeshifter are getting lots of attention from me. For control, I love the concept of Stages (env) and Bataumi (LFO). Intellejel's Quad VCA is right up my ally too (may get two!). I'm also looking at Magneto because I know I want a versatile delay FX, and looking at many options (like Black Hole?) for a second FX for long reverb. Maybe a complex oscillator like Instruo Cs-1, which can also function as a traditional LFO (if there's still room).

For filters, I've gone around in circles. I basically need a multi mode filter for basics, and a "color" filter for "fun". There's too many options there, but one that looks promising is Filter 8. Plus I may want a separate mixer that can do panning (with CV for panning), since I tend to use that effect often.

I figured I would go visit Control and focus on oscillators first, choosing between my initial choices plus any suggestions from the staff (who are very helpful). But getting more opinions from folks who have "walked the walk" is always valuable.

An interesting thing happened when designing patches for Complex-1, which was I became more clear about the types of things I like to do. For one, I like to work with layers, and having the LPGs made that easier. I also love complex interwoven modulations, and long evolving patches, with random elements that only happen on occasion. So something that facilitates those goals will be handy.
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
Leighbeater
Posts: 149
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Dec 2018

https://youtu.be/rY_7ktKvosY

I enjoyed these videos

actually all their videos are great including the pedal ones

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1512
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 26 Dec 2018

It just just dawned on me how massive your rig is. WOW!

And, you're like me. 2+ of anything you like.
- Batumi, STO, Maths AND Function, others..... Well Played.
... and, the new Quantizer, Step Seq on the bottom Left. you move FAST, as well.

I think I count 10+ Quantizers in your setup (well, they ALSO Quantize)... interesting.
I understand.

Shoutout to the Belgrade filter and Roland 500s. Proper kit.

Clever moves -
Maths near the ADSR(s)
Dual Batumis - with Attenuators (a must) nearby.
Looks like you traded in your Pitts Mixer for Mixers (Intellijels, Mutables, etc) with proper CV.
Morphagene
Quant/Timers - Pamela's NW AND Ornament and Crime AND Vermona. Dammnnnnnnnnn.....!

That's a Labor of Love, I'd say.
Very Nice.

Crumbfort wrote:
20 Dec 2018
So, just curious... where are people at with their eurorack rigs? My plans have (of course) changed massively and dramatically since my last post. :puf_bigsmile:

Here's my plan at the moment, which will also certainly change! :

Image

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/803385

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1512
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

Reason users can be as discerning as anyone else that takes their hobby or craft seriously."
Miscend: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:32 pm: viewtopic.php?p=425893#p425893

FYI
CWEJMAN New 's Eve SALE going on!
cwejman.jp

PH-4 - ~$400 : Quad LFO - WITH Offset AND CV Level (fast dialing with no need for Attenuverters]
Also, OSC rate to 40 kHz, from Muff 'Reading'
Image

RG-6 - ~$600 : Noise, Clock/Gate, A little closer to being 'really' Random.
Image



CORRECTION:
[***: MBC-3 Sale Price is 128,000 Yen (~$1150) ***]
ITB Multi-Band Compression In The Modular.
Image
- and the MMF-1S is Sold Out.
If you ever wanted ground floor pricing on their modules, here's your/our chance.

If you read this Selig, Im ripping and running atm, but I do want to engage with you about my modular Road.

Happy Holidays Everybody,
O1B

selig wrote:
20 Dec 2018
Impressive Racks… ;)

I'm about to start dipping my toe into the Eurorack waters, so this is all very informative to me.

I'm planning on starting with a MiniBrute2s (not only for the synth but also the sequencer), and Arturia's 2x 6U rack. I will be using this setup live, so it needs to be somewhat portable. The setup will be controlled (if all goes to plan) by the Novation SLIII and a Novation Peak for poly work. Just got a new lap top so I can have Reason along for the ride, but in past performances I found I really missed physical controls. A lot of what I do is heavily improvised, so I can't just hit play and sit back and enjoy the music!

For those well along on this journey, what experience (positive and negative) can you share to those of use just starting out?
:)

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 04 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
21 Dec 2018

For filters, I've gone around in circles. I basically need a multi mode filter for basics, and a "color" filter for "fun". There's too many options there, but one that looks promising is Filter 8. Plus I may want a separate mixer that can do panning (with CV for panning), since I tend to use that effect often.
Oh dannnggg... just watched the Divkid video on the Filter 8:



I think this will replace the Belgrad on my next up filter list... looks amazing.

I want to go to there.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Crumbfort
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 May 2018

Post 22 Jan 2019

Just an update... Filter 8... I did go to there, and it's dope :puf_bigsmile:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests