Nektar Panorama [UPDATE]... NEW PANORAMA T4/T6 line!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Reasonable man

29 Jun 2018

:D
Nektar are avin a right bubble bath

jam-s

29 Jun 2018

splangie wrote:
29 Jun 2018
I wonder why folks are seeing such dramatic differences regarding specifically the key and knob degradation levels on P4/P6s. Could it have to do with environment in which they are kept/used; maybe a smokey room or high humidity or temperature.
Things turning yellowish or brownish is usually caused by UV induced formation of bromine (like explained here), UV radiation (from sunlight) is also my chief suspect for the rubber knobs getting sticky. That's because the high energy photons of UV can (and will) break some chemical bindings that are stable in normal light.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2018

kefkekeyser wrote:
29 Jun 2018
The keys of my P6 became an ugly yellow colour and the faux rubbery faders and encoders became sticky and very unpleasant to touch (I did not spill anything om my P6).

The T4/6 doesn’t look like an improvement to me, I’ll pass.
Contact Nektar about the yellow keys as I know they have replaced several peoples before.

The Key-bed is meant to be a real improvement over the P series.

EnochLight

30 Jun 2018

Ironically, I've never had much of a problem with the P4 keybed. It's the pads that are absolute ass, and the knobs, faders, and buttons always felt a little too rubbery/cheap for my liking. I picked up an Impact LX25+ for my kid, and the pads are 1000x better.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

01 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Jun 2018
Ironically, I've never had much of a problem with the P4 keybed.
Agreed. I had to get used to the height of the black keys but it feels better than just about every other current midi controller on the market.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by this T series. But they already told you that it wasn't a replacement. More like a mid product line between the Panorama and Impact LX.

WasteLand

01 Jul 2018

nektarine seems like a wrapper, like automap. i see this a step backwards. even i like automap, and use it everyday (almost...).
the led display is monochrome, it seems that controlling is taking a step backwards, i repeat.

it almost the same step as novation, their top line seems to disappear, and it has some NKS like things.

by the way i own the panorama p1, which i like, the integration with reason is great (and i am waiting on a better integration with cubase 9.5, i like to have as many knobs i can have).
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

O1B

01 Jul 2018

I had such hopes. I dont get the purpose of the video. We didn't get to hear the responsiveness of the Keyboard. The Drum pads couldn't have been played any
'less dynamic'. Any such videos always makes the Keyboard appear sluggish.

'Pan, mute, and solo'ing. Why is that so hard. They gutted the Old P6's top Left.
Not even ONE motorized fader this time??

Keeping my P1.
All that space to the top left for proper Pan, Mute, Solo'ing -for 8 channels.
oh well....

Motor61 (for now) it is.

QVprod

02 Jul 2018

Posted these videos in another thread and realized that Nektarine seems to go against the very selling point of the Panorama P series. Granted it seems the T series will map to plugins in certain DAWs withought Nektarine but it does seem like a very backwards move.

EdGrip

02 Jul 2018

As you say, it seems like a mid-tier line below the P-series.
Not as tightly integrated or with the UI-rich screen, not as good looking - but advertised with a keybed that's better than the P keybed, which is not the best move if you're still trying to sell Panoramas.
Maybe there IS a top-tier replacement in the works?

EdGrip

02 Jul 2018

AND ANOTHER THING!

...I find I'm forever plonking my wireless mouse, with all its Reason-mapped extra buttons, on the spare space to the right on my Launchkey 49. Having a MIDI keyboard with a mouse sitting on it means I rarely have to reach for the laptop's keyboard. If I were making MIDI controller keyboards, I'd make sure there was somewhere for a mouse if space/features permitted.

TChandler

02 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2018
Posted these videos in another thread and realized that Nektarine seems to go against the very selling point of the Panorama P series. Granted it seems the T series will map to plugins in certain DAWs withought Nektarine but it does seem like a very backwards move.
I expected to see this observation at some point! Nektarine is an extension of what we do rather than a change of direction and definitely not a step backwards.

REs, plus our currently listed VSTs and Reason's internal devices can all be controlled in Reason in the usual way. Instruments are controlled directly through the DAW with pre-mapped controls and ofcourse the really useful GRAB feature to quickly take control of any parameters on the active device at any time.

Kong, Redrum, Boom808 and other Drum REs all have dedicated mapping with feedback on the pads, (we've made the Redrum step sequencer directly accessible too!) and the T-series gets the same high-level integration for Reason as the P-series, cut-back ofcourse but with a slightly more focused workflow - less menu browsing, more direct access.

Nektarine gives you (additionally):

- customizable mapping for VSTs/AU.
- patch management across any VST/AU in a centralized place

In the case of VSTs Reason's remote technology means that Nektarine is really the only viable way to add an intelligent mapping system of Nektar standards for VSTs to Reason - it's impossible to add a scope for every VST!

Nektar's Reason integration, handles device detection and is intelligent enough to know when Nektarine is on your track and when an instrument is to be controlled directly through the DAW. There's no 'mode' switching required - instrument mode active means you are controlling the instrument on your selected track, whatever that instrument may be.

Best Regards,

Tim

tiker01

02 Jul 2018

TChandler wrote:
02 Jul 2018

REs, plus our currently listed VSTs and Reason's internal devices can all be controlled in Reason in the usual way. Instruments are controlled directly through the DAW with pre-mapped controls and of course the really useful GRAB feature to quickly take control of any parameters on the active device at any time.

Kong, Redrum, Boom808 and other Drum REs all have dedicated mapping with feedback on the pads, (we've made the Redrum step sequencer directly accessible too!) and the T-series gets the same high-level integration for Reason as the P-series, cut-back ofcourse but with a slightly more focused workflow - less menu browsing, more direct access.
I am still a bit confused. Does the T series has the same RE support (X number of REs mapped) as the PS series out of the box right now?

Do you plan to make a graphical remote map creator for REs?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

EnochLight

02 Jul 2018

TChandler wrote:
02 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2018
I expected to see this observation at some point! Nektarine is an extension of what we do rather than a change of direction and definitely not a step backwards.

REs, plus our currently listed VSTs and Reason's internal devices can all be controlled in Reason in the usual way. Instruments are controlled directly through the DAW with pre-mapped controls and ofcourse the really useful GRAB feature to quickly take control of any parameters on the active device at any time.

In the case of VSTs Reason's remote technology means that Nektarine is really the only viable way to add an intelligent mapping system of Nektar standards for VSTs to Reason - it's impossible to add a scope for every VST!

Nektar's Reason integration, handles device detection and is intelligent enough to know when Nektarine is on your track and when an instrument is to be controlled directly through the DAW. There's no 'mode' switching required - instrument mode active means you are controlling the instrument on your selected track, whatever that instrument may be.

Best Regards,

Tim
I appreciate your chiming in, Tim. Can you explain why Nektar chose to not update the current Panorama P4/P6 with the improved keybed and pads? Those two items right there would have elevated it quite a bit and allowed you to still sell a "premium" product with the admittedly better LCD/OS than the T-series. Us Panorama fans are sitting here scratching our heads why the P4/P6 has been left in the dust. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

02 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote: I appreciate your chiming in, Tim. Can you explain why Nektar chose to not update the current Panorama P4/P6 with the improved keybed and pads? Those two items right there would have elevated it quite a bit and allowed you to still sell a "premium" product with the admittedly better LCD/OS than the T-series. Us Panorama fans are sitting here scratching our heads why the P4/P6 has been left in the dust. :(
And I’ll add that potentially new Panorama fans are sitting here still unconvinced this company’s controllers are the way to go. I’m still more inclined to go with a controller with less direct support for Reason but more of what I’m looking for in a controller, such as the new KeyLab MKII series from Arturia as one example (16 LED pads, good ext pedal support, bonus CV support, color options, etc.).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

02 Jul 2018

TChandler wrote:
02 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2018

Best Regards,

Tim
I appreciate the direct response. I feel better about it being an extension. Gives me hope for the future upgrade to the P series. ;) I know many of us are waiting for that.

EnochLight

02 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2018
Gives me hope for the future upgrade to the P series. ;) I know many of us are waiting for that.
Well, if Ralf from Nektar is to be believed, he has said point blank that there are no plans to update the existing P-Series hardware. :(

QVprod

02 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
02 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2018
Gives me hope for the future upgrade to the P series. ;) I know many of us are waiting for that.
Well, if Ralf from Nektar is to be believed, he has said point blank that there are no plans to update the existing P-Series hardware. :(
Yeah that was intended as a hint for interest in a new product. I’d be surprised if Nektarine was added to the P series. I don’t see many Panorama P owners buying the T series... but we’re probably not the target market for this.

ahuimanu

11 Jul 2018

is there something particularly obsolete about the old one?

QVprod

11 Jul 2018

ahuimanu wrote:
11 Jul 2018
It's still one of the best controllers on the market. Especially for Reason. At this point RE and VST support is down to user maps like what Carly does on this forum, but other than that, It's more so the hardware itself that people want upgraded. Pads and and keys could be a bit better (though keys are better than most midi controllers). Some of it also has to do with the Komplete Kontrol S mkii keyboards as amazing as those look they're pretty basic for what they are and Nektar could do it better.

ahuimanu

11 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
11 Jul 2018
ahuimanu wrote:
11 Jul 2018
It's still one of the best controllers on the market. Especially for Reason. At this point RE and VST support is down to user maps like what Carly does on this forum, but other than that, It's more so the hardware itself that people want upgraded. Pads and and keys could be a bit better (though keys are better than most midi controllers). Some of it also has to do with the Komplete Kontrol S mkii keyboards as amazing as those look they're pretty basic for what they are and Nektar could do it better.
Thanks, so basically they don't support it any longer? Shame. I have one (P4), but rarely use it as I just don't need the "full monty" much when I can just use a mini keyboard type thing and do well enough for what I end up doing mostly.

sublunar

11 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2018
I was underwhelmed with their new Pacer foot board.
Not to derail the thread, but did you have a chance to use one? I'm very interested in it myself, or something by which I can closely approximate it. Having foot control would be a big deal in my studio when I'm recording myself.

EnochLight

11 Jul 2018

ahuimanu wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Keys are ok, but the pads are some of the worst out there. Barely even usable. Also, the LCD screen is dated and low res (compare it to NI's Komplete Kontrol line and you'll see what I mean). Knobs and faders have always felt "cheap". Certainly not gig-worthy. Other than that, I'll agree it's still the best option out there - especially for Reasoners.
sublunar wrote:
11 Jul 2018
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2018
I was underwhelmed with their new Pacer foot board.
Not to derail the thread, but did you have a chance to use one? I'm very interested in it myself, or something by which I can closely approximate it. Having foot control would be a big deal in my studio when I'm recording myself.
I haven't tried it personally. Not really my cup of tea (even though I own 4 guitars).

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2018

ahuimanu wrote:
11 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
11 Jul 2018

Thanks, so basically they don't support it any longer? Shame. I have one (P4), but rarely use it as I just don't need the "full monty" much when I can just use a mini keyboard type thing and do well enough for what I end up doing mostly.
They do support it and they have done updates this year..

The Komplete Kontrol looks like the dogs bollocks but I've heard it's not much more than a glorified patch browser and next to useless with Reason.

Personally I don't have issues with the pads but I use the pads more as buttons to turn devices on and off etc. not to play drums with, I have the keyboard for that. :)

Yes I would love a direct update to the P-series, like to have the knobs light up, remove the faders and replace them with touch strips, have label strips under the controls... Touch screen to replace the existing display. A quieter keybed. but the deep integration that the P-series has to offer.
Now saying all that, if the pads and Keybed is a real issue, get another keyboard and match it with the P1.

Love my Nektar products...

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

childofsaturn

18 Jul 2018

I've had a P6 for about 4 years. While the DAW integration is top-notch, I've never gotten used to the keys. They're so clunky feeling and loud. The black keys don't even feel like part of the same keybed as the white keys. Hearing they've improved upon it with this new model doesn't inspire enough confidence.

I just pre-ordered an Arturia Keylab 61 mkII from Sweetwater. Although Reason isn't one of the supported DAWs, I imagine it can be set up to work well with it with just a little work. I heard it had the same keys as the Brute series, so I was sold.

As much as I love seamless integration, I gotta have some nice keys. That being said, I'll probably be selling my P6.

EdGrip

18 Jul 2018

Basically they've got two clashing and competing product lines.
Choose P series for better in X regard and worse in Y regard; choose T series for the opposite.

Even assuming they clear up the confusion by discontinuing the P series, that still leaves the T series in the shadow of the P series' well-known reputation for integration and one-stop-shop control.

Also there needs to be a white version. ;)

• Information