Recommendations for an Audio Interface?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ultim899

18 Jun 2018

Hey guys long-time Reason user currently building my second home studio

Here is the last studio I made over 6 years ago(although I don't have this setup anymore). A lot of research went in before I made these selections and boy oh boy was the sound incredible:

Desktop PC
E-mu 0404 PCI soundcard(audio interface) - reason i selected this card back then was apparently the converters were very high quality and it had ultra-low latency & 24-bit/192kHz capability
Tannoy Reveal 502a studio monitors

Now I'm looking for either a firewire or USB audio interface because that's the only connections on my laptop. I'm not sure if there differences in effect from these two type of connections? Ideally I would like it to be ultra-low latency and no over-heating issues

Here are the main features I would like it to have ideally before you guys suggest anything:

-High quality converters
-Ultra low latency especially with Reason
-No over-heating
-Outputs for studio monitors
-No clipping or slowing down on reasonable file sizes and at least very minimal on larger more complex beat projects(i know some of that has to do with PC specs but both need to work well with each other)

Other optional:
One Mic XLR input with preamp

Basically I just use Reason with a midi controller and occasionally do vocals so i don't need so many inputs like guitars, multiple mics, etc. My main concern is sound quality. I need to feel a powerful sound. I had that for the most part before so I'm looking to replicate that or make it even better. So far for my new setup I have the laptop and Tannoy Reveal 402 studio monitors

thank you in advance

EdGrip

18 Jun 2018

...is there much problem with audio interfaces overheating?

I don't think DACs take any notice of file sizes. A 2hr 24bit FLAC is the same as a 20 second MP3 as far as they're concerned. Neither should tax even an old computer.

EdGrip

18 Jun 2018

You can spend a little or a lot. The Steinberg UR22, which I use, is cheap and has totally solid low-latency drivers.
Up the pricey end there's the RME Babyface Pro, on up to Antelope Audio. What's your budget? You could get an RME DigiFace and add a mic preamp later.

future-bit

18 Jun 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Noplan
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2018

I use a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. Good quality and it works perfectly. I never understood why you should spend 500 or 1000 dollars more and what you get more for it? Most of it is marketing and esoterism. But of course that's just my view based of my needs. If somebody sees it differently then that's fine.

RobC

19 Jun 2018

I still believe that individual AD, DA converters, Pre-Amps, individual Amps are the best way.

theshoemaker

19 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
19 Jun 2018
I still believe that individual AD, DA converters, Pre-Amps, individual Amps are the best way.
Also looking for some. I just posted my own question about audio interfaces here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7503457&start=25

I've also been thinking about individual solutions, but I highly doubt for the inconvenient low budget I'm on, that I finde cheaper components for the same price. Anyway, right now my only concern is a proper mic pre-amp, because I'm using the Superlux HD681 Evo, which really don't need another amp.

Rob, Do you have a recommendation for a high quality mic amp on low budget?
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

RobC

19 Jun 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
19 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Also looking for some. I just posted my own question about audio interfaces here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7503457&start=25

I've also been thinking about individual solutions, but I highly doubt for the inconvenient low budget I'm on, that I finde cheaper components for the same price. Anyway, right now my only concern is a proper mic pre-amp, because I'm using the Superlux HD681 Evo, which really don't need another amp.

Rob, Do you have a recommendation for a high quality mic amp on low budget?
I'd rather ask Normen; and I think you'd still find a better quality bang for the buck solo pre-amp, than what you can get in these combo boxes.

Troublemecca

19 Jun 2018

Noplan wrote:I use a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. Good quality and it works perfectly. I never understood why you should spend 500 or 1000 dollars more and what you get more for it? Most of it is marketing and esoterism. But of course that's just my view based of my needs. If somebody sees it differently then that's fine.
I can attest to this... Those Midas pre amps can run my SM7B quietly without a cloudlifter (with sufficient gain staging in Reason, don't know how this would work live).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

EdGrip wrote:
18 Jun 2018
...is there much problem with audio interfaces overheating?

I don't think DACs take any notice of file sizes. A 2hr 24bit FLAC is the same as a 20 second MP3 as far as they're concerned. Neither should tax even an old computer.
I''m not sure if there's a problem with USB & firewire audio interfaces overheating because the only true audio interface I ever had was the E-mu 0404 PCI card

This would be my first time with something non-PCI

I assumed some of them might considering the preamps because I remember I had a focusrite preamp & compressor hybrid long while back and it could get hot if used for a little while.

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

EdGrip wrote:
18 Jun 2018
You can spend a little or a lot. The Steinberg UR22, which I use, is cheap and has totally solid low-latency drivers.
Up the pricey end there's the RME Babyface Pro, on up to Antelope Audio. What's your budget? You could get an RME DigiFace and add a mic preamp later.
Thanks for the suggestions. The steinberg looks solid in terms of features. Mixed reviews on Amazon but better reviews on audio gear sites(although the audio site reviews are usually always good on most products).

Hmm the RME features seem interesting. Although I'm not sure now what the ADAT inputs are for. I'll have to research this more but I don't think this product is for me at this time in my studio development.

As for my budget, I like bang for the buck deals. I mean let's start low up to $300. Sound quality is very important to me but I'd rather spend less if I can still get great sound that even rivals the pricier devices. So I'm also fine with spending around $100 but if there's a truly better product that is worth more I will spend the extra dollar

I know they all have their slight differences and that's where the beauty lies.

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

future-bit wrote:
18 Jun 2018
The last 10 years I have RME Multiface. Stable drivers. It even works on my old Macintosh with Mac OS Classic 8!
Thanks for the suggestion. Have you ever tried any entry-level USB audio interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlett, Steinberg UR22, or etc? What are the differences in quality?

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

EdGrip wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Have you ever compared those higher-end AI's to entry-level AI's? What are the differences in quality?

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

Noplan wrote:
19 Jun 2018
I use a cheap Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD. Good quality and it works perfectly. I never understood why you should spend 500 or 1000 dollars more and what you get more for it? Most of it is marketing and esoterism. But of course that's just my view based of my needs. If somebody sees it differently then that's fine.
May I ask what is your setup like at least the components for your audio quality? And how do you like the sound? For me the most important thing is the playback quality when I'm making or listening to my beats

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Why do you say that? I'm guessing because each excels in their own right?

I personally did something like this for my first studio where I had a Mackie mixer, focusrite preamp/compressor, emu AI, AT mic, tannoy speakers, and the sound quality was superb, especially for beats so you might be onto something

this would be the first time i may be purchasing a hybrid AI/Mic preamp device

RobC

20 Jun 2018

ultim899 wrote:
20 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Why do you say that? I'm guessing because each excels in their own right?

I personally did something like this for my first studio where I had a Mackie mixer, focusrite preamp/compressor, emu AI, AT mic, tannoy speakers, and the sound quality was superb, especially for beats so you might be onto something

this would be the first time i may be purchasing a hybrid AI/Mic preamp device
Pretty much, yes. I'm not saying that there wouldn't be any high quality combos, but most likely in the upper price range.

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

By the way what is your guys take on Firewire vs USB?

Based on search it says Firewire transfers data faster but the downside is that the Firewire "chipset" must be compatible with the hardware, whereas USB is more universal

Basically I have a "1394 port" on laptop which based on search is a Firewire port, but not sure if that will be compatible

Right now I am leaning towards a Firewire AI

ultim899

20 Jun 2018

Also with these AI's, will I be able to hear myself on the MIC even if let's say I have a beat playing in headphones and I'm recording vocals over it?

I remember doing that on my old EMU 0404 PCI AI but it's been a while. I think I setup something called ASIO for this to work?

EdGrip

20 Jun 2018

FireWire is a dying/dead format - avoid. Stick to USB.
I've never owned anything more expensive than my UR22 to compare it to - I've never felt a need to upgrade. I recently bought a separate headphone amp to use with it, because I bought some AKG headphones. I can't tell the difference between the built-in headphone amp and the external one until it gets pretty loud.

More expensive interfaces tend to have better mic preamps, more of them, and more ins and outs that allow you to integrate external hardware effects etc. in your workflow. It's rare that they market their DACs and monitor outputs being "better" (I can't remember seeing this in a product description).
Mainly what they market is their mic preamps, which aren't of much interest to me. So one option would be to buy a cheaper interface, and then buy a fancy dedicated mic preamp at a later date if you feel the need.

From what I remember, most online discussion is about
- latency
- stability of drivers
- quality of mic preamps
- occasionally quality of headphone amps.
Quality of DACs and monitor outputs is rarely mentioned.

demt

20 Jun 2018

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-US-16x0 ... B00N4LTFV2regs the n.o. of inputs and outputs needed if you are into hardware this is sorta 1000 pounds off at 200 odd if you hunt around its a tascam us 16x8USB Audio/MIDI Interface (16 in/8 out)
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Troublemecca

20 Jun 2018

If playback quality is tops for you, then get a different interface... I have the umc404hd, and playback quality is disappointing. I mix with a pair of audiotechnica M50x, and my ears get fatigued almost immediately when plugged into the behringer, at any volume (which doesn't happen with other sources).

I have been meaning to experiment with lowering the quality of the audio playback to see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Noplan
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2018

May I ask what is your setup like at least the components for your audio quality? And how do you like the sound? For me the most important thing is the playback quality when I'm making or listening to my beats
I have nothing special. My main monitors are Adam Audio F5, combined with a Swissonic Sub10. Most important and expensive is the room acoustics and the correct position of the speakers in the room. Since my room is suboptimal, I still help myself with AKG K702 headphones and auraclones, which I have assembled myself.

I am satisfied with this combination. From time to time I have the opportunity to work on Pro equipment, but I don't get much better results there.

ultim899

21 Jun 2018

Well your monitors are very good IMO. Having tested out a bunch of different brands, the Adams & Tannoys stood out to me clearly

By the way what is the correct position of speakers in your view? I have usually just had them facing me at ear level and as wide as possible distance between each other on the table(usually in the corners)

unclenofun

11 Nov 2018

finding it hard to find this info on the behringer umc204hd.....it has inserts 1 & 2 on the back, is that the equivalent of line in L & R on others? contemplating either the 204 or the 404 but cant really find the main diff (apart from one has 4 inputs and the other 2) was just wondering if the 204 can record 3 things at the same time? (assuming the inserts are line-in inputs?)

unclenofun

12 Nov 2018

The inserts are not line inputs..... I know this now!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Information