Need advice on MIDI controller keyboard

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

08 Jun 2018

Hey everyone! So a while ago my trusty Oxygen 61 3rd gen died, and I replaced it with a 4th gen thinking it'd be the same, only better, right? Unfortunately not; the keybed sucks, I have to smash it to get to the top velocity (even with the louder curve selected), the drum pads are *non-assignable* and the pitch bend wheel doesn't kick in until about a cm into its travel downwards. So the store have given me some options;

Collection of the unit and repair/replacement by M-Audio (2 weeks).
Exchange for a Nektar Impact LX61 (several weeks)
Exchange/upgrade to an Arturia Keylab Essentials 61 (immediately)

The Nektar was probably my first choice as I've seen so many people talk about it and I know it's supposed to work well with Reason. The Arturia is a bit of an unknown for me, although it looks good. But it seems very much designed to work with Live and Analog Lab. So I'm curious as to whether anyone is using it to control Reason? Anyway I've told them I need some time to weigh up my options so, any feedback would be great!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2018

I would say based on the feedback so far it would have to be the Nektar...... :D

QVprod

16 Jun 2018

Nothing's beating Nektar for Reason integration. However coming from an M Audio Oxygen, the Arturia is fine enough. I haven't tried the Keylab Essential but I have the Keylab 88 which is a pretty good controller. The Essential version replaced the Keylab models less than 88 keys.

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Does someone knows how to bind the Nektar Drumpads to the Kong while using the key for synths???
I'm struggling from about one hour and the pads on my ImpactLX88 seems to be locked with the keyboard,
playing around with midi out? I have not started that, also I can't find any Reason 10 presets help page for the
Impact... any info much appreciated, tnx.

also the pads on my impact are a bit stiff, I use the player midi compressor to fix that, or if using the Euclid rhytmn, there is a fixed velocity toggle.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Re8et wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Does someone knows how to bind the Nektar Drumpads to the Kong while using the key for synths???
I'm struggling from about one hour and the pads on my ImpactLX88 seems to be locked with the keyboard,
playing around with midi out? I have not started that, also I can't find any Reason 10 presets help page for the

also the pads on my impact are a bit stiff, I use the player midi compressor to fix that, or if using the Euclid rhytmn, there is a fixed velocity toggle.
I could have sworn I had a video for this, anyway the way I do it is to map the pads to low keys then use a combinator and zone off the low keys to a RPG or use Noteview it shift (transpose) the midi keys back to the correct notes for the Kong, then you have the other zone to play the other devices.

QVprod

21 Jun 2018

Re8et wrote:
21 Jun 2018

This is how it's done on Panorama, perhaps it should work for the LX too? http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB ... /KB.666/.f

jayhosking

21 Jun 2018

Arturia released a slick new controller with a decent keybed. Plus it comes with Analog Lab (a gateway drug to incredible synth sounds) and their modelled piano. Might be worth checking out?

O1B

22 Jun 2018

KeyLab MK2 49 or 61-Key

Arturia KeyLab MKII Core Features:

MIDI- and USB-compatible controller with Mackie HUI recording software control
49 or 61 Arturia Pro-Feel semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and pressure sensitivity
Aluminium chassis
Metal pitch bend and modulation wheels
4 CV outputs and 1 CV input for modular connectivity
DAW Commands with magnetic overlays
Total Analog Lab integration with dedicated “Category” buttons for quick navigation
Three banks of 9 MIDI-assignable knobs, faders, and RGB buttons, preconfigured to work with Analog Lab 3 instruments
16 backlit RGB multi-function pads with velocity and pressure sensitivity
2 customizable chord modes
32-character LCD screen
Sustain and expression pedal inputs, as well as 3 additional auxiliary pedal inputs

"Faster, newer, cheaper, better..." ...so they say...

jayhosking wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Arturia released a slick new controller with a decent keybed. Plus it comes with Analog Lab (a gateway drug to incredible synth sounds) and their modelled piano. Might be worth checking out?

selig
RE Developer

22 Jun 2018

New Keylab looks good, and they support every major DAW - EXCEPT REASON. Have been considering the original model, may still go for the MkII version. Now the big decision: Black or White?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

22 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018
New Keylab looks good, and they support every major DAW - EXCEPT REASON. Have been considering the original model, may still go for the MkII version. Now the big decision: Black or White?

The Black does look really good. Weird that this would be the one keyboard they put out without Reason support though. Both the original Keylab and the Analog Experience keyboards both did.

selig
RE Developer

22 Jun 2018

QVprod wrote:
selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018

The Black does look really good. Weird that this would be the one keyboard they put out without Reason support though. Both the original Keylab and the Analog Experience keyboards both did.
I’m going to (unrealistically) hold out hope that by the time this product is released (July) they will add Reason support. Why not, right? Worst that can happen is no direct support, but still works with HUI mode.

Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

22 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018
QVprod wrote:
I’m going to (unrealistically) hold out hope that by the time this product is released (July) they will add Reason support. Why not, right? Worst that can happen is no direct support, but still works with HUI mode.

True, it should still work in that regard with MCU.

jeanrick

07 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018

Yea, I'm hoping the same thing. Maybe they will release a Reason Codec, they had done one for the original Keylab: https://www.arturia.com/support/updates ... 1876268433

childofsaturn

18 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018
QVprod wrote:
After speaking with an Arturia rep, I learned that Arturia did make an effort to include Reason among the other major DAWs, but Propellerhead failed to assist in the matter. I don't mean that as a knock against Propellerhead (and neither did they), but somehow the ball was dropped on their end. Hopefully they lurk these forums and will understand there is a demand. I already emailed them about it (Propellerhead), but got no response.

ekss
RE Developer

25 May 2021

selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018

Did you end up getting the keylab? I'm looking into getting a new midi keyboard/controller and Arturia KeyLab MkII 49 is so far the most interesting i found. Would love to hear some opinions if you, or someone else here, got it and would like to share some experience of it!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 May 2021

ekss wrote:
25 May 2021
selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018

Did you end up getting the keylab? I'm looking into getting a new midi keyboard/controller and Arturia KeyLab MkII 49 is so far the most interesting i found. Would love to hear some opinions if you, or someone else here, got it and would like to share some experience of it!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7518072&hilit=Keylab

;)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

demt

28 May 2021

Nektar aura!!!!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Goriila Texas

28 May 2021

I just got the MKii 88 for $850 brand new Tuesday with discount from my sales guy TJ he always hooks me up. After two decades my Triton Studio has two keys that won't play plus the mod and pitch joystick doesn't work on vst's. First thing I tried was to see if the presets for Studio 1 worked and they don't. Not the faders, knobs or transport automatically linked with S1. I was up all night trying to get things to work and finally said fck it and tried the trusted HUI protocol. For everything to work in S1 you have to choose (DAW Standard HUI) on the Keylab. Then in S1 you have to setup the MKii as a keyboard using (Arturia keylab mkii midi), then you have to set it up as a control surface under (Mackie HUI) it's important that you choose (midiin2) on the drop down menu in S1. Now you will be able to control all faders except the master (haven't figured that out). Just click next to control another set of 8 faders/buttons. Everything on the transport works even loop toggle button. Save, undo, solo, mute and record also work now.

Pros: Built quality is solid metal (White no Black available) beautiful with wood panels. I don't use the pads but they seem nice.

Cons. I like my Triton keys better you have to kind of pound the keys sound notes won't be low. Then again there's a midi app that comes with it where you can adjust the velocity I'm still learning.

Best midi keys on the market imo and good luck finding any they were sold out for months at Sweetwater as soon as I got a msg that they were in I bought one. Money well spent so far. I was looking at the NI S88 but I use mostly arturia vst's and they integrate seamlessly with buttons and knobs working with each synth.

ekss wrote:
25 May 2021
selig wrote:
22 Jun 2018

Happy-Musician

29 May 2021

An alternative that will also save cash is the Novation impulse.
Its not the most advanced midi keyboard but has enough in my opinion and because of that doesn't run into software issues like a lot of modern midi keyboards.
Also all midi keyboards suck for piano feel, but the this Novation is one of the better feeling midi keyboards.
Probably could find some second hand but good condition too.
Attachments
Impulse-overhead-1067-545.png
Impulse-overhead-1067-545.png (158.98 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

Goriila Texas

31 May 2021

Edit: Everything works straight out the box with Studio One preset if anyone needs help setting up holla.

• Information