Moog Grandmother

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

jimmyklane

14 May 2018

Wow! That looks so neat! I’ve got the Moog sound handled since I bought into the Slim Phatty polychain thing and built a 4-Voice....but this looks like a better MS20....more control and more options!

What’s it cost?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

joeyluck

14 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
14 May 2018
Wow! That looks so neat! I’ve got the Moog sound handled since I bought into the Slim Phatty polychain thing and built a 4-Voice....but this looks like a better MS20....more control and more options!

What’s it cost?
It's $899

jimmyklane

14 May 2018

joeyluck wrote:
14 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
14 May 2018

What’s it cost?
It's $899
Just when my wife thought I was done buying more synths! :?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Faastwalker

14 May 2018

Looks like an vintage Moog. A sort of multi-colored Moog Prodigy.

Looks like a lot of fun & sounds amazing. $899 US? Good price as well.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 May 2018

They are really missing the mark on the price of these things.. The name itself isn't worth that much IMO.

RobC

15 May 2018

aeox wrote:
14 May 2018
They are really missing the mark on the price of these things.. The name itself isn't worth that much IMO.
They put them together by hand if I remember correctly. ~ And yes, I think there are grannies working there. xD Moog Grandmother, made by granny with love, and a jar of jam, so you have energy to jam with!

The price is $ 900 - $ 1. Not my range either way.

(I saw some Sennheiser in-ear phones for not the thousand dollar range, but only $ 999.95! - Why is this number fooling still a legal thing to do, humanity?)

madmacman

15 May 2018

aeox wrote:
14 May 2018
But it works. They still sell original modulars (despite much cheaper clones) and the Voyager wasn't cheap, either. Sometimes the demand for having "the Original" is overwhelming...

joeyluck

15 May 2018

aeox wrote:
14 May 2018
It is a bit more than just a name. They do make really great quality products. Perhaps this is still a bit more than I might be willing to spend right now... Places like Musician's Friend offer 20% off coupons every couple of months, so that would bring the price down a bit in the future.

Moog also drops their prices on some products as time goes on and have offers. For instance, many Moog products are on sale right now; things like Minitaur and Mother-32 are both $100 off. I believe the Sub Phatty was $999 or $1099 when it was released? It is now regularly priced at $789 and on sale for $679 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ynthesizer

O1B

15 May 2018

Grandma’s Huge.
Who the hell has room for that? 30 keys!?
More CV than my Sub 37cv (possibly) - and it does sound nice.

I appreciate the guitar pedal look, but what an interesting use of s. p. a. c. e.

Who’s bitin’? Let me know how it goes.

This seems like it’s for collectors.
Last edited by O1B on 15 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

15 May 2018

back to old school synths? this is nostalgia I guess. not innovative or interesting.

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 May 2018

How Moog manages to put out gorgeous hardware like the Sub37 and then this patchwork of bad design decisions from the 70s is a mystery. Seriously, Eurostile?[1] On powder blue?

That said, it looks like a fun synth.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostile

O1B

15 May 2018

“How Moog manages to put out gorgeous hardware like the Sub37
I concur.

Feels like right out of a toy chest.
I'd rock this synth.... if I was this guy, in this room:
fieldframe wrote:
15 May 2018
How Moog manages to put out gorgeous hardware like the Sub37 and then this patchwork of bad design decisions from the 70s is a mystery. Seriously, Eurostile?[1] On powder blue?

That said, it looks like a fun synth.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostile
Last edited by O1B on 16 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

15 May 2018

You do pay a premium price for the Moog brand. But as Joey said it is a premium brand. A lot of work goes into each individual unit. But Moog synths are more affordable than ever now. The most affordable Moog used to be the Voyager, which costs several thousand pounds (I guess around $5000 US back then). The range of devices is much broader now.

The Grandmother is probably Moog's boldest design to date. It's a curious design choice & you can see why people are split over the look of the thing. When I first saw it I thought it looked like a 2 octave keyboard loaded with guitar pedals. It looked a bit like a DIY job. I had no idea it was even a Moog synth at first.

sublunar

16 May 2018

Not even remotely interested at that price. Half price would get my attention, but not necessarily my money.

It looks like fun to play around with but sounds like just another bleep-bloop squiggly zorp sound producing machine. Lots of good products coming out these days that are far more reasonably priced.

EdGrip

16 May 2018

Honestly, this seems like a great price for a well-built analogue synth with lots of patchability. It's the price of a mid-range guitar combo.
Sean Costello of Valhalla DSP has got one and he's been raving about it on Twitter.

joeyluck

16 May 2018

EdGrip wrote:
16 May 2018
Honestly, this seems like a great price for a well-built analogue synth with lots of patchability. It's the price of a mid-range guitar combo.
Sean Costello of Valhalla DSP has got one and he's been raving about it on Twitter.
And Guitar Center and Musician's Friend seem to be sold out already. Was only 500. So others will have to wait until sometime after Moogfest. I hope they carry in some stores near me so I can play with it :puf_smile:

O1B

17 May 2018

Sold 500 for $900. I can see that.

I can also see building a pretty nice modular for that.
Key step + miniSkiff + Dixie ii+ + STO + dual ADSR. Filter + VCA from Happy Nerding.

$1000.
30ish HP.
Yeah, I’ll pass.

Grandma does Look smaller in when in someone’s hands.
joeyluck wrote:
16 May 2018
EdGrip wrote:
16 May 2018
And Guitar Center and Musician's Friend seem to be sold out already. Was only 500. So others will have to wait until sometime after Moogfest. I hope they carry in some stores near me so I can play with it :puf_smile:

joeyluck

17 May 2018

O1B wrote:
17 May 2018

Key step + miniSkiff + Dixie ii+ + STO + dual ADSR. Filter + VCA from Happy Nerding.

$1000.
30ish HP.
Yeah, I’ll pass.

joeyluck wrote:
16 May 2018

When I first saw this synth, I thought it might be a shame to not have it be full modular and have the modules be interchangeable. Then I thought, well that would make it more expensive I'm sure, and I doubt I would ever really care to change anything on it. And you can integrate other hardware via patching.

I had looked at the Waldorf KB37 in the past. That is just an empty eurorack + keyboard controller for $999 ($100 more than this), just to get started without any modules.

Everything has its market.

EdGrip

18 May 2018

I think part of the idea of Grandmother was to make modular concepts simple enough to be approachable for people who would otherwise think that stuff was all a bit much for them.

Can you imagine if Moog had released a $900 little cracker of a synth with its own keyboard 10 years ago? When it was all Little Phattys and Sub 37s and Dave Smith Mophos? People would have lost their minds. Now apparently it's contemptibly expensive?

O1B

18 May 2018

You used an exaggerated price for a 30 hp skiff.... Waldorf? if you want to scare anyone.

My price of $1000 for proper modules is sound and relatable... sorry.
ok.. $1100... better?

KOMA CASE 3U / 84HP: €99,00
Power for another $1-150.

joeyluck wrote:
17 May 2018
O1B wrote:
17 May 2018

$1000.
30ish HP.
Yeah, I’ll pass.

When I first saw this synth, I thought it might be a shame to not have it be full modular and have the modules be interchangeable. Then I thought, well that would make it more expensive I'm sure, and I doubt I would ever really care to change anything on it. And you can integrate other hardware via patching.

I had looked at the Waldorf KB37 in the past. That is just an empty eurorack + keyboard controller for $999 ($100 more than this), just to get started without any modules.

Everything has its market.

aeox
Competition Winner

18 May 2018

They should of named it "Grandmoogie"

EdGrip

18 May 2018

I have a bit of a theory that this is, if not a loss leader, then maybe a slender-profit leader, to lure unwary sailors to spill their wallet-guts pon the jagged rocks of Moog modular.

O1B

18 May 2018

nothing wrong with expendable income. I'd never hate.

trying to make it 'useful' in a production 'environment' -....? Grandma?

Patching? Doepfer: $450
Keys? Novation BassStation: $400

ok... so a MOOG... with KEYS... and Patching..... Check.
This is the First for $1000.

EdGrip wrote:
18 May 2018
I have a bit of a theory that this is, if not a loss leader, then maybe a slender-profit leader, to lure unwary sailors to spill their wallet-guts pon the jagged rocks of Moog modular.

• Information