The only way to truly hear the same

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
RobC

07 May 2018

I simply wanted a way to achieve a flatter sound for everyone (easily).

Even for Knuckles (not very intelligent character)...

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 May 2018

RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
I simply wanted a way to achieve a flatter sound for everyone (easily).

Even for Knuckles (not very intelligent character)...
A "flatter sound." What do you mean, exactly? That you want to engineer your recordings so that they compensate for the general listening environment?

normen

07 May 2018

It's really not very important to have it totally flat because as was said a hundred times in your threads already, just moving your head or getting up on the wrong side of the bed changes that.

Many HiFi enthusiasts make that mistake - they obsess about the linearity of the system and then to "fix" that they add loads of phasing, ringing and other issues to the system with the DSP processing, EQs, additional drivers and transmission lines they add. It's not the only and not the most important factor about speakers either way.

RobC

07 May 2018

How about just an okay sound? At least getting that for myself?

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 May 2018

RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
So you basically just mean mixing and sound engineering in general?

RobC

07 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
07 May 2018
RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
So you basically just mean mixing and sound engineering in general?
Sound design, mostly, where I need to hear every tiny detail. (Only people with a certificate can be called engineers.)

EDIT: mostly binaural, completely artificial music. : ) Hence I'm leaning towards in-ear monitors at this point. There are quite a few people that use in-ear monitors anyway.

sublunar

07 May 2018

RobC wrote:
05 May 2018
This again...
Thread #4 on roughly the same topic. Not trying to be a downer here but damn, dude.
avasopht wrote:
06 May 2018
It sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that isn't there.
Pretty much this.

Seriously, man. Just make music. Listen to it on different systems and make sure it translates well. It's not rocket science. You're treating it like it's rocket science.

Unless you really get your jollies off on geeking out to this stuff.. But you're never gonna actually make music if you spend all your time trying to chase things that may or may not exist that may or may not actually benefit you at all.

Or... at least keep it all in the same thread instead of creating a new thread every time you want to approach it from a different angle.

normen

07 May 2018

You don't want to build speakers or headphones, you want to make music right? Why don't you just consider what engineers with years of training did for money as good enough for you and just make music with it?

You can't equalize a 20$ headphone so that it will sound like a Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic or Audio Technica, period. Thats not what it's about.

4filegate

07 May 2018

@normen Thanks a lot! Didn't buy the hôtel, just renting an apartment.
Hotel Bellevue au Lac.png
Hotel Bellevue au Lac.png (531.53 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
On the flip side, we tried to reach the root cause of the problem, the difference between the proverbial gift of a fish to a hungry person, versus teaching them
how to fish.

"Better Late Than Never" Tradition does not mean that one lives in the past. But interestingly, RobC think the 21st century would go without madness.

RobC

07 May 2018

I once was told, I put too many topics in one. Now I separate them, even if related. How about I don't post at all? xD

Truth is, I'm vastly designing sound.

Ironically, I'm looking at Sennheiser in-ear monitors right now. xD https://www.rtings.com/headphones/revie ... tum-in-ear

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 May 2018

RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
Sound design, mostly, where I need to hear every tiny detail. (Only people with a certificate can be called engineers.)

EDIT: mostly binaural, completely artificial music. : ) Hence I'm leaning towards in-ear monitors at this point. There are quite a few people that use in-ear monitors anyway.
You mean like those binaural meditation tracks?

RobC

07 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
07 May 2018
RobC wrote:
07 May 2018

You mean like those binaural meditation tracks?
It's all synthesized (experimental dance) music, so what do I care about realism if I can create a fictional world, I just want a sterile sound, as close to my eardrums as possible.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 May 2018

RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
It's all synthesized (experimental dance) music, so what do I care about realism if I can create a fictional world, I just want a sterile sound, as close to my eardrums as possible.
Sterile as in non-filtered basic waveforms??

RobC

07 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
07 May 2018
RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
Sterile as in non-filtered basic waveforms??
Are you asking the sound design part? Obviously, I don't stop the sound design after loading a raw oscillator. xD
Or if you mean minimal outer ear interaction, then yes, that clear.

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 May 2018

RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
Are you asking the sound design part? Obviously, I don't stop the sound design after loading a raw oscillator. xD
I'm not following the whole 'sterile' thing. What do you mean exactly?

RobC

08 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
07 May 2018
RobC wrote:
07 May 2018
I'm not following the whole 'sterile' thing. What do you mean exactly?
Oh, I use that term since I read some article about how in the past noise floor was an issue, and with the era of software synthesizers, the lack of noise is the problem now.

As for this situation, I want to bypass even outer ear filtering, hell if I could I would send the audio via brainwaves right to my brain. xD

Marco Raaphorst

08 May 2018

we make music step by step. we are too much aware of some of the stuff what is going on but the public will hear the piece all at once, all at the same time. so we, the producers, musicians, will NEVER be able to hear it as fresh as the public can.

RobC

08 May 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
08 May 2018
we make music step by step. we are too much aware of some of the stuff what is going on but the public will hear the piece all at once, all at the same time. so we, the producers, musicians, will NEVER be able to hear it as fresh as the public can.
That's a different magic ~ maybe if have amnesia, we can, though. Once done, we just need to ask a friend to hit hard enough on our head. Then give it a fresh listen. xD

Marco Raaphorst

08 May 2018

2 experiences are never the same

That’s great fun. Enjoy it 😀

• Information