Behringer RD-808

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Faastwalker

04 May 2018

Behringer doing what should be painfully obvious to Roland but what they have totally failed to deliver.

O1B

04 May 2018

Faastwalker, you failed to mention what Roland failed to do....... 'painfully obvious' notwithstanding.

What is it that YOU wanted Roland to do, exactly? And, were you really going to buy it?
Your Posts say 'NO.'

Quote from Synthtopia: on TR-8 vs 808 ( much less, TR-8S):
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... -shootout/
I hear two great drummachines with almost the same character. Loosing yourself endlessly in hunting frequency ghosts is nothing but vodoo science. I am really tired from that discussion.

You can do very good electronic rythms with both. One is not only an instrument but an unquestionable legend, rare and expensive. The other is one is very close soundwise, 21st century technology, with a great interface and: unbeatable pricing.

Talk less, make more music!
Faastwalker wrote:
04 May 2018
Behringer doing what should be painfully obvious to Roland but what they have totally failed to deliver.

Faastwalker

04 May 2018

O1B wrote:
04 May 2018
What is it that YOU wanted Roland to do, exactly?
The same as everybody else - remake the legend. Not the lurid green Aria stuff. Roland know it I think. That’s why they made the classics ...... but as VA Boutiques. The new Roland stuff sounds fine. But that’s beside the point in this case. We’re talking about the machines the kick started everything we have now no less. It means a lot to people that remakes be authentic and true to the original devices.
And, were you really going to buy it?
There would have been a time. Now though? I think the boat has sailed. But at the right price, and every indicator points to Behringer setting the bar very reasonably on this front, this could could be very tempting for what it is. In terms of sound, style and substance Behringer already look to have gotten as close to the original as anyone since Roland put the thing out.

O1B

04 May 2018

I think we're on the same side here, FW.... FEED the Rack... yes? you know.... ES-8...? - to wit -

same as everybody else"
"We’re talking about the machines the kick started everything we have now no less"
Word - ?

same as everyone else...? who's that?

I know what I wanted. A tr-808 in my hand . First . Propellerheads gave it to me. Big Up.
Then, Roland blessed ME with a TR-08S and a TR-08 - ready for duty.
(I like the Hulkness of the TR-8 - never getting rid of it.)

Now, today.. what do I want - maybe some other folks want an updated TR-808. .not some clone. Filter? meh. Wave Shaper? nice sound. ALL MONO'd up the middle. TRs are internal Stereo Pan and FX. Guess you'll need a WMD Performance Mixer: (my new BABY)
Or.... NO PAN FOR YOU!!!
Still excited about your setup and the BR-808?

- LIKE, imagine
(1) CV on each track - NOT JUST AUDIO... in Eurorack I can control 2 MI's Peaks (yes) and have a kick, snare open and closed hats - going when I want. Not on some timeline. Cost me $300. Takes up 16HP. Your Phenol's LFO n ENVs would make short work of that. Guess you'll/we'll need Yarns - and the ES-8.

(2)Size... Big and Heavy!
WhY? Analog? Maybe...? But Levels on Knobs? over faders?! Rough!
But alas... no way to control the sound of the BR-808 except with chicklets... over Vel. Pads. Rough!
Guess you'll/we'll need a Beat Step/Pro... on the same Table... with that behemoth.... and Phenol... and a Eurorack.. The TR-08 is looking reallyy good sitting on my pillow!

Step Sequence format to come so no comment. And, software based control - seems NICE!

and the compulsory "Sexual Healing" ... - but - TR-8's bass sounds JUST a but rounder.
August 2018 Coming... If nothing competes... and the price is right, Im in.
DrumBRUTE's KiCKS are Shite.

https://youtu.be/zQPsln1d-Ek?t=34 "Big and HEAVY" @6min 36sec.

Faastwalker wrote:
04 May 2018
O1B wrote:
04 May 2018
What is it that YOU wanted Roland to do, exactly?
The same as everybody else - remake the legend. Not the lurid green Aria stuff. Roland know it I think. That’s why they made the classics ...... but as VA Boutiques. The new Roland stuff sounds fine. But that’s beside the point in this case. We’re talking about the machines the kick started everything we have now no less. It means a lot to people that remakes be authentic and true to the original devices.
And, were you really going to buy it?
There would have been a time. Now though? I think the boat has sailed. But at the right price, and every indicator points to Behringer setting the bar very reasonably on this front, this could could be very tempting for what it is. In terms of sound, style and substance Behringer already look to have gotten as close to the original as anyone since Roland put the thing out.

Faastwalker

04 May 2018

I don’t know how to respond to that other than by posting this latest video from Behringer;

Faastwalker

05 May 2018

...... back on topic. Gaz Williams tries to make a run for it with the Behringer 808 in hand 😀

Last edited by Faastwalker on 06 May 2018, edited 3 times in total.

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 May 2018

The thing that blows my mind on all these 808 emulations is, where is the "tune" knob? I could care less if the original 808 didn't have it ( well i kinda do ) - but holy smokes??? There are after-market kits that can put some subs to shame. The 909 has it, yet, Why?....?

Behringer, I will give You credit for striving to exceed some preconceived notions from the past, but for fucks sakes... lets tweak that bass drum.

I want to tune that so called 808 bass - I'm sure the filter section is great and all, but please....pretty please, I will so buy that drum machine If You can tweak it . Is that Fair?

O1B

06 May 2018

TUNE is the HIGH on my List of "2018?!" as well.... but, there's more...
The TR-08 has TUNE. yep... the wee, wittle TR-08 has TUNE. So does the TR-8S.
Innovation.
And the Filter on the Behringer 808.... it's a GLOBAL Filter - me thinks.... oops!

DYNAMICS: ... Tip Top Audio (SD808, ONE), Erica Synths (Pico DRUMS, DSP), and now MI's Peaks have envelope, level, etc. control over the sound. Static drum machines can't touch that. Double basing via CV - using two fingers (on BeatStep) rivals the double bass in this TD-50kv video Kai Hahto. Try for yourself if you can.

VARIATION: the mini Kaossilator 2 (new or old 2 track version) via XY gives more dynamic variation. Too bad you can't sync it tightly when you need it.

Luckily, they also make... the PRO+ ... MIDI Sync.

EASE of USE:
Im hoping they add tune and more CV (expansion or otherwise to this)... one can dream.

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
06 May 2018
The thing that blows my mind on all these 808 emulations is, where is the "tune" knob? I could care less if the original 808 didn't have it ( well i kinda do ) - but holy smokes??? There are after-market kits that can put some subs to shame. The 909 has it, yet, Why?....?

Behringer, I will give You credit for striving to exceed some preconceived notions from the past, but for fucks sakes... lets tweak that bass drum.

I want to tune that so called 808 bass - I'm sure the filter section is great and all, but please....pretty please, I will so buy that drum machine If You can tweak it . Is that Fair?

O1B

06 May 2018

https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... ad65da3486
I do like the banana business, but the erorack format just has too much variety for me to stay in banana land. haha.

Before you make another fast move.... consider...:
Now that I remember: Your music as I have heard it - always seemed to lack Percussion/Drums.
True of False, FW? No insult... There's virtually no drums in "Sounds of Silence" ... great song!!

Respond this way. Which drum machine do you have access to now??

Which drum machine(s) do you use regularly - to know about drum machines....? Have you, through your experiences on drum machines made a list for yourself of what YOU want - or, are you just waiting for other Drum Machinist - who also may NOT own a TR-808 or otherwise?
(TR-808 talk... rocking on a Volca Beats, mindset)

How would you fit a Behringer 808 into your setup (Phenol).... /Eurorack?
at best .... Midi in and out?

I don't think you've thought this through. That's probably why it's hard to answer.

But, do let me know when you purchase the Behringer-808. But, I have a feeling that for all the "Behringer got it Right" stuff, you won't own it.

What I wonder is 'Do you know what it required to run a full drum setup - when all the people leave and its just you making music?'

use your words...
Faastwalker wrote:
04 May 2018
I don’t know how to respond to that other than by posting this latest video from Behringer;

O1B

06 May 2018

Selling your Phenol, I see?

Now, that BH-101 is nice... but, you won't be buying it. 2 CV outs? on that big machine??
Get real. The SH-01A has so much more.... oh yeah... not analog.... gotcha!

I dont own the SH-1A but I'd sooner get it and 88 Keys than BH-101 - unless, nostalgia...
- or, Im a expert at SH-101'ing.

I like the New Behringer (XR-18, X Touch, UFO1208) - but these are a clear step back - compared to Roland's offerings - unless you WANT to go backwards for a sec.

I LIKE that I can BUY an OLD Commodore 64, but, I wouldn't go calling it INNOVATION.
And, today, I'd prefer it in Raspberry Pi flavor.
Faastwalker wrote:
04 May 2018

Faastwalker

06 May 2018

You're right. Probably won't buy a Behringer 808 or 101 clone. But they'd integrate into my set-up just fine if I did. MIDI input is fine. Reason is the center of the set-up anyway so for sequencing / controlling it usually comes from there. The Phenol has a built in MIDI to CV converter so easy to sequence from Reason via MIDI. I have a little MFB 552 drum machine. That's controlled from Reason as well. It has a built in sequencer but it's kind of fiddly. Works a treat from Reason using the Robotic Bean Multiplexer.

The point about the Behringer 808 / 101 clones is that people have been hoping Roland would do this for close to quarter of a century. Ever since e-bay prices started to reach the stratosphere people have been wondering when Roland would spot what is going on, basically put the machines out again & clean-up! It's never happened. Not from Roland at least. There have been plenty of other smaller companies making clones. But around 25 years later Behringer are now doing what people have been hoping Roland would do in that time.

People will still get very excited about these. Myself included. But has the boat now sailed? I'm not sure I need or want an 808 in 2018. It would be more about nostalgia these days. Have used all the Roland classics extensively in the past. Never owned any of them but was always a dream. I could just never justify thousands of dollars for a second hand machine that was almost as old as I was! I did buy a Roland-RS09 string/organ synth about a decade ago. Price was still good. Machine arrived looking like it had been in an accident & was a heavy smoker. It worked, just! Out of tune & I never fixed the problems. Sold it for quite a bit more than I'd bought it for. Go figure!

O1B

07 May 2018

Quick FYI. Batumi ... I think XOAC outdid it with: Zadar (Superbooth18 prototype)
1973 Quadruple Envelope Generator

· Four indepenent channels
· More than 200 unique shapes
· Cycle time range: 0,08ms to 20 sec.
· Shapes can be radically modified in two dimensions
· Complex envelope looping and chaining features
· Assignable CV inputs to cotrol almost every parameter
· Preset slots

A crisp OLED screen provides the necessary visual feedback in real time. All the settings can be stored and organised in preset s]lots.

Reason is the center of the set-up anyway
- Ditto. Well, then, with a Proper Audio Interface, the BD 808 would work for you... P1 so some PAN/Mixer control, maybe.
But, Direct Triggers, Envelope Control, and little subtleties are hard to achieve once ITB... without getting lost in code, no?
Just re-read your message... so... you know these machines.. Nice! You have a leg up. These are new to me.

I'm not sure I need or want an 808 in 2018. It would be more about nostalgia these days.
Im caught up in the Nostalgia thing too. But, I had it all wrong. The new Commodore 64 are the Boutiques.
And, if I want to play with that OLD TR-808 - Im glad its here now.
But, like in the Videos.... they are only using the Main MONO out.... cause... work... and stuff....
The OLD TR-808 workflow is slow.. and the results are typical of any Electribe 2.0. Except 360+ sounds....

The New Roland - specifically the TR-8s blows this thing away. See Screen, FX, Knobs, Layout, Faders...
But, that Behringer VP-340. Yes. https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-fina ... der-vc340/

Faastwalker wrote:
06 May 2018
You're right. Probably won't buy a Behringer 808 or 101 clone. But they'd integrate into my set-up just fine if I did. MIDI input is fine. Reason is the center of the set-up anyway so for sequencing / controlling it usually comes from there. The Phenol has a built in MIDI to CV converter so easy to sequence from Reason via MIDI. I have a little MFB 552 drum machine. That's controlled from Reason as well. It has a built in sequencer but it's kind of fiddly. Works a treat from Reason using the Robotic Bean Multiplexer.

The point about the Behringer 808 / 101 clones is that people have been hoping Roland would do this for close to quarter of a century. Ever since e-bay prices started to reach the stratosphere people have been wondering when Roland would spot what is going on, basically put the machines out again & clean-up! It's never happened. Not from Roland at least. There have been plenty of other smaller companies making clones. But around 25 years later Behringer are now doing what people have been hoping Roland would do in that time.

People will still get very excited about these. Myself included. But has the boat now sailed? I'm not sure I need or want an 808 in 2018. It would be more about nostalgia these days. Have used all the Roland classics extensively in the past. Never owned any of them but was always a dream. I could just never justify thousands of dollars for a second hand machine that was almost as old as I was! I did buy a Roland-RS09 string/organ synth about a decade ago. Price was still good. Machine arrived looking like it had been in an accident & was a heavy smoker. It worked, just! Out of tune & I never fixed the problems. Sold it for quite a bit more than I'd bought it for. Go figure!

Faastwalker

16 May 2018

Molten Music on the Behringer clones;

O1B

24 Jan 2019

Coming March March '19

Sounds Crisptyt.

• Information