Midi Step Sequencer for Reason - Maschine MK2 vs Push vs BSP vs...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
TChandler

27 Apr 2018

You can control Redrum's step sequencer using the Fader buttons of your P4 if you have installed the latest P4 Reason integration. There are 16 steps available. the other steps are not mappable via remote unfortunately.

The advantage here is you don't have to worry about sync at all.

O1B

27 Apr 2018

I like the Push 1, but maybe it's a little dated.

I have Beat Step. If I didn't, I'd have Beat Step Pro
Have you looked into Beat Step Pro. 16 steps chain able ... so 256 steps?
$250 new... $200 used...
Recent firmware update, if you want to look through.

Drum Sequencer: New polyrhythm Mode
Touch Strip: New Roller / Arpeggio Function
Pattern Chaining: Saving Chains
Volca compatibility

electrofux

28 Apr 2018

How do you want to use Push with Reason? As a Midi Controller with a Retouchcontrol Codec or from within Ableteon Live?

electrofux

30 Apr 2018

Well, then if you dont use a retouch codec and you connect push, nothing at all will happen unless props have added a codec lately.
Push doesnt do any sequencing on its own. With the Retouch codec you get some sequencing control over Redrum and Thor though.
The TFP has an internal Sequencer that generates notes. Push doesnt - it is just a Midi Controller.
Considering Maschine, there were a few threads pondering on how to use it as a sequener for Reason but there are a few caveheats with the current Vst plugin implementation in Reason.

Also when using a hardware sequencer from outside of Reason (clocked to Midi) prepare for some sync issue here and there AND for some adjustments between the instruments that are triggered from the outside and the ones playing back in Reason.
Last edited by electrofux on 30 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

30 Apr 2018

Some notable sequencers atm are the one from Pyramid, the Elektron Digitakt (especially when overbridge is out) and perhaps the Roland TR8s (not sure it does Midi Out though). I am personally waiting for the Digitakt to see if Overbridge handles Midi and sync in a tight and easy manner. You can also do some external sequencing with the Novation Circuit which i have but dont use because editing long patterns is a pain (the editable part of a pattern moves all the time).

electrofux

02 May 2018

I dont have a beatstep but it is essentially a sequencer, so you should be able to drive Reason Instruments with it.
It is just not as straight forward to connect it. Best thing is to get the multichannel Midi Codec from Koshdukai:
https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.i ... emote.html
Then you add codecs for every Channell the BeatStep sends on and lock these to your desired Reason instruments.

By any chance i would try before buying. I have tried so many sequencers and they all had a showstopper for me.
Most of the time sync sucked.

I would also look into the Novation Circuit. It is cheap and does alot what you are looking for. My grapes with it are special, not everyone has the same isue with it as i do.

Ipad is a definitve option. Cheap apps and with Ableton Link it syncs nicely.

You have your TFP trigger Reasons Synths already, have you?

demt

02 May 2018

triggerfingerpro does it all
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

7blanche

11 May 2018

I had Push2, now I have BSP and LaunchpadMini. LaunchpadMini with rack extension Grid64g is fantastic and the cheapest solution. Once it is setup no sync/connection problems.

jimmyklane

11 May 2018

Edin_16 wrote:
28 Apr 2018
Hi,
Reason only, no Ableton at all... Reason V 9.5
Get Maschine. If you MUST step sequence then it’s only got 16 steps at once, however if you record your drumming in (input quantize available) you have an unlimited linear sequencer and even the stock library is stunning. Plus it’s an actual sampler, in case you’d like to get into that. It works as a plugin, sample accurate sync, it’s a fantastic midi controller as well and has templates for Reason online.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

electrofux

14 May 2018

Good to hear there are no sync issues. What do you use Midi-OX for?

• Information