Studio DESKS??

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Aerond

26 Jul 2018

I just bought some legs and a piece of wood from Ikea ... don't really need much else :)

wendylou

26 Jul 2018

The choice of studio desk is clearly a personal choice based on taste, function, size, and cost. After decades of L-shaped arrangements with a keyboard stand positioned 90 degrees to a computer desk, I finally grew tired of spinning and wanted to see my computer screen while I played. I also wanted a retractable MIDI keyboard tray. I looked at everything I could find online, comparing many makes and models. I finally decided on the RAB ProRak 61 through Sweetwater. Pricey at $1,199.00 plus freight, but it was worth it to me. It's built like a tank with steel legs, 3/4" MDF with laminated surfaces, two 3U rack bays, and very deep space. Placing my dual computer screens on the shelf was a bit far back for my tastes when the keyboard tray is fully extended, so I bought two Ergotech VESA "Freedom Arms" to position the screens anywhere I wanted - really cool! Best studio desk space I've every had, and I've been doing this since the 80's :puf_smile: I reviewed it on Sweetwater https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lmond-trim after I bought it:

IMG_4330-modified.jpg
IMG_4330-modified.jpg (243.67 KiB) Viewed 809 times
ProRak61A-dual.jpg
ProRak61A-dual.jpg (164.52 KiB) Viewed 809 times
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

joeyluck

28 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
23 Apr 2018

I did the Ikea table as well!

I hate moving large desks. Another thing I like with the Ikea table is that the legs unscrew by just twisting them off.

This is an old picture when I first got it, as I was just starting to play around with the setup and throwing stuff on the table. I set the desk on some bed risers in order for my keyboard to fit underneath on the stand I have (at its lowest setting). That part of the setup has remained the same.

OH THATS SMART!!! I’ve got a desk setup in a spare room that’s pretty compact, holds the tower, 3 monitors, and a few modules plus an EPS 16+....and I could throw the desk up on some risers and have my Juno (which I program via software anyway) underneath just like you’ve done here, with a keyboard stand!

Awesome idea and thank you so much for sharing! I’m going to be moving very soon and so I get the (let’s call it an) opportunity to completely rewire and redesign my home studio. I think I’ll take this bit of wisdom and put it to use!
I found a solution and alternative to a keyboard tray—a stand with wheels! The reviews are all pretty good. And it's fairly inexpensive compared to other stands. I'm going to try this in place of my x-style keyboard stand that's under my desk now (which happens to be a 3-tier stand in which I removed the two top tiers). So I can put that back to use somewhere else.

https://www.amazon.com/Plixio-Heavy-Sty ... B079YWMH91

The wheels do look like those generic cheap ones, but the reviews have been good. Same as on my chair, and they roll me around just fine. And I figure I can always switch the wheels out with something else, since the capability is there. Not sure how the "smart" non-fixed wheels will do for something I want to move straight in and out...so might need to switch them with "dumb" wheels that are fixed...we'll see.

jimmyklane

29 Jul 2018

^^^ that stand looks great! It’s only $59 shipped, too.

I’m plagued with multiple single stands due to the sheer size of some of my synths. The actual desk I use now is great but I’m festooned with freestanding keyboards that I’ve got to get up and program for the most part.

I should build a wall-mount system.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

O1B

29 Jul 2018

Great Desk. Of course , you could by 'that desk' from ikea for ~$100,
but you get to 'personalize your dimensions'... which is nice..
My desk ($100 ikea) is the scaled up version of your vinyl 'crate.'

Had the Jerker, and a few others... but, w/cheap 'wood' and loose hinges (too much metal) and -
if one can hear - its nothing but a chorus of rickety desk resonances - futzing up proper EQing.
snare (thats why its dull in the mix down), kick (was that the attack or the screws?), and hats (forget it!)

Thick wood nixes all of that.
regular ole' office table desks must be horrible.
tt_lab wrote:
26 Jul 2018
I made my own for less than a 100$ of MD Wood and 2 hours of work between 2 people.
Only need to put some rack railings in the to spaces under to set my samplers and fx units

• Information