Studio DESKS??

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Reasonable man

28 Apr 2018

DSC_0021_preview.jpeg
DSC_0021_preview.jpeg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
I got this few months back . Its a Glorious Workbench available at Thomann . Its €300 which considering how pricey these things are is a bargin imo

RobC

29 Apr 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
28 Apr 2018
DSC_0021_preview.jpeg

I got this few months back . Its a Glorious Workbench available at Thomann . Its €300 which considering how pricey these things are is a bargin imo
You've got quite a view through your windows! xD

Gotta love lava lamps. When you turn them on, the wax gets erect in a funny way, haha.

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

This is my simple $ 0 table that I made out of trash.
17ac862c-4ad7-4267-a291-48282978f023.jpg
17ac862c-4ad7-4267-a291-48282978f023.jpg (87.44 KiB) Viewed 2862 times

RobC

29 Apr 2018

Noplan wrote:
29 Apr 2018
This is my simple $ 0 table that I made out of trash.

17ac862c-4ad7-4267-a291-48282978f023.jpg
Needs a signature tin can with "spare some change". xD

Pretty good find, though! : P

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

EnochLight wrote:
25 Apr 2018
I'm using an old Ikea Jerker, which is a desk they never should have discontinued IMHO. Love this thing! It's infinitely configurable and customizable, and is still holding solid almost 17 years after I got it. Here's the early version:
I loved that piece of furniture! Best desk I ever owned, but unfortunately too big for my current space. Sad to see it get sold off. :-(
Attachments
1000000085.jpg
1000000085.jpg (544 KiB) Viewed 2842 times

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

Nice desk, but...
feet.jpg
feet.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
:D :D :puf_wink:

RobC

29 Apr 2018

Noplan wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Nice desk, but...

feet.jpg

xD He probably left it in intentionally.

Also, like the toilet paper in mine is a better addition... (I'm an allergic snot-bag, that's why it's there btw. xD I also use a lot of toilet paper during cooking to wipe grease/oil/fat off my hands. OCD thing. Dx)

PS he should paint those toe nails red. Would be much nicer instantly! xD

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2018

Noplan wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Nice desk, but...

feet.jpg

What's the matter? Don't have a toe fetish? LOL! I couldn't be bothered to photoshop this image. Adds authenticity to the photo so you know it is real and not some fake 3D rendering. Ha Ha Ha!

Adabler
Competition Winner

02 May 2018

My humble set up.
desk.JPG
desk.JPG (57.88 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

The table is an old expandable respatex , similar to this:
_917374294.jpg
_917374294.jpg (228.93 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
:reason: 12, Win10

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

So I'm looking to expand my Ikea table with maybe a shelf and other things.

I found some stuff like this...

This one will accommodate a desktop up to 3" thick. But the height isn't adjustable (unless I add shims to the top of the desk with clamps at 3"):
https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Steady-Cla ... B07BQKNHK9

There's this one which is height adjustable, but will only fit on a desktop up to 1.25" thick. And while the Ikea tables say that in their specs, mine measures closer to 1.32" (I suppose they rounded and didn't account for the acrylic):
https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Up-Desk-St ... B07DTLT8BL

And then I found some smaller ones like these (not sure how large the clamps are):
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/ ... _118724597

Anyways, I'm curious if any of you know of more modular desk solutions that are universal with what they can work with. Right now, I try to keep a fairly empty desktop and bring out what items I'd like to work with at a given time. But there are some gadgets I'd like to keep attached and out of the way. I also like things I can easily take apart for moving and can be changed easily when a new workflow inspires me (which is why I ditched my old studio desk). Any thoughts? :puf_smile:

jimmyklane

25 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
23 Apr 2018
This is the setup I settled on, and yep it's IKEA after my daughter dragged me there looking for a lamp, never thought about it beforehand. I tried many configurations and have several riser boards, pullouts, all kinda crap I ended up discarding (but paid for at IKEA in my "brainstorming" impulse purchases). I found this simply worked best even if it didn't look particularly fancy (which her paper Enderman says isn't important). This has the 43" 4k in the back, the mpk249 in front of it followed by the wireless keyboard, flanked by the bluesky monitors, easy access to the Discrete 4, sub, pc, etc - fits great, works even better.

The desktop is 59"l x 29.5"w and found here: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... #/10251352 Get the legs and you're good to go, nice and cheap.
I did the Ikea table as well!

I hate moving large desks. Another thing I like with the Ikea table is that the legs unscrew by just twisting them off.

This is an old picture when I first got it, as I was just starting to play around with the setup and throwing stuff on the table. I set the desk on some bed risers in order for my keyboard to fit underneath on the stand I have (at its lowest setting). That part of the setup has remained the same.

OH THATS SMART!!! I’ve got a desk setup in a spare room that’s pretty compact, holds the tower, 3 monitors, and a few modules plus an EPS 16+....and I could throw the desk up on some risers and have my Juno (which I program via software anyway) underneath just like you’ve done here, with a keyboard stand!

Awesome idea and thank you so much for sharing! I’m going to be moving very soon and so I get the (let’s call it an) opportunity to completely rewire and redesign my home studio. I think I’ll take this bit of wisdom and put it to use!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
25 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
23 Apr 2018

I did the Ikea table as well!

I hate moving large desks. Another thing I like with the Ikea table is that the legs unscrew by just twisting them off.

This is an old picture when I first got it, as I was just starting to play around with the setup and throwing stuff on the table. I set the desk on some bed risers in order for my keyboard to fit underneath on the stand I have (at its lowest setting). That part of the setup has remained the same.

OH THATS SMART!!! I’ve got a desk setup in a spare room that’s pretty compact, holds the tower, 3 monitors, and a few modules plus an EPS 16+....and I could throw the desk up on some risers and have my Juno (which I program via software anyway) underneath just like you’ve done here, with a keyboard stand!

Awesome idea and thank you so much for sharing! I’m going to be moving very soon and so I get the (let’s call it an) opportunity to completely rewire and redesign my home studio. I think I’ll take this bit of wisdom and put it to use!
Yeah definitely works well if you don’t need access to controls. Although I can still pull it out further if need be, but not as nice as something that can slide/roll. I just don’t trust keyboard trays for how heavy the Studiologic is...

I looked at some rolling stands...like the one from Zaor...if I were to ever end up with an 88 key with more controls.

Krell

25 Jul 2018

splangie wrote:
23 Apr 2018
I am considering this one - https://output.com/products/platform
+1 on the Output Platform.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

Krell wrote:
25 Jul 2018
splangie wrote:
23 Apr 2018
I am considering this one - https://output.com/products/platform
I had actually looked at this desk again, but wasn't sure I trust the keyboard tray, even though they say it supports up to 50 lbs... the slides just don't look very robust. Anybody using one with the keyboard tray?

Also, whenever I look at ordering it, it is $699 with the keyboard tray, plus $99 shipping... at $800 my mind immediately goes to building a desk or having someone build one...

Krell

25 Jul 2018

Platform.jpg
Platform.jpg (366.02 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

splangie

25 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018
Krell wrote:
25 Jul 2018

I had actually looked at this desk again, but wasn't sure I trust the keyboard tray, even though they say it supports up to 50 lbs... the slides just don't look very robust. Anybody using one with the keyboard tray?

Also, whenever I look at ordering it, it is $699 with the keyboard tray, plus $99 shipping... at $800 my mind immediately goes to building a desk or having someone build one...
I believe Selig said he had one. I haven't picked one up, but I am still considering it. I am also looking a just building a slide out tray for Nektar P6 on the big Ikea desk I am using.

Krell

25 Jul 2018

The keyboard tray on the Platform is very robust. I found it held a Juno 60 or a Prophet REV2 and an Akai MPD218 without an issue and could definitely handle more. Only thing to note though is that there is a 'lip' at the back of the tray that is a little awkward if you have cables exiting the synth/controller down low, means the instrument has to be moved forward 1/2 -1 inch. Also, putting it together is a two man job, its a heavy piece of furniture.

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

Krell wrote:
25 Jul 2018
The keyboard tray on the Platform is very robust. I found it held a Juno 60 or a Prophet REV2 and an Akai MPD218 without an issue and could definitely handle more. Only thing to note though is that there is a 'lip' at the back of the tray that is a little awkward if you have cables exiting the synth/controller down low, means the instrument has to be moved forward 1/2 -1 inch. Also, putting it together is a two man job, its a heavy piece of furniture.
Good to know. But my Studiologic SL-990 XP is a beast. Metal casing and heavy, weighted keys.
The specs say it's 44 lbs., but I swear every time I pick it up, it feels like 70. I feel like if I place it on a standard keyboard tray with then start playing it, that will be the final straw that brings it all crashing down lol.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2018

Some of these desks make me jealous :)

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

This is how Zaor creates keyboard trays to support heavy keyboards...
There are two pairs of rails at the top and bottom, on the floor, with wheels (taking the weight):

But I guess if Output says theirs supports up to 50 lbs, I'm sure they can be trusted and it will be protected by warranty I would think.

Krell

25 Jul 2018

For anyone interested Output have a relatively thorough list of keyboards that fit. Can't see the SL-990 on there though.

https://output.com/platform/keyboards

tt_lab

26 Jul 2018

I made my own for less than a 100$ of MD Wood and 2 hours of work between 2 people.
Only need to put some rack railings in the to spaces under to set my samplers and fx units

selig
RE Developer

26 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
Krell wrote:
25 Jul 2018

I’m using the keyboard tray. The desk is extremely overbuilt at a whole, but don’t know how it would behave with your specific keyboard. May be best to have it on a stand under the desk if it’s really that heavy. If you are in the NYC area you can come check mine out!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jimmyklane

26 Jul 2018

For posterity, and anyone that stumbled upon this thread in the future:

If price is less of an issue, I can not recommend Argosy strongly enough!! They are well built and mine has lasted 15 years even having been disassembled and reassembled twice in that time. It holds several hundred pounds of gear, including my console, and looks really slick on top of everything!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

EnochLight

26 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
26 Jul 2018
If price is less of an issue, I can not recommend Argosy strongly enough!! They are well built and mine has lasted 15 years

If I dropped that kind of cash on an Argosy, I'd expect it to outlast every single music genre that has ever come along and ever will come along - Lol! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information