Entry level solution for getting audio into an iMac

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rothgarr

12 Apr 2018

Howdy,

I have an iMac, it doesn't have a dedicated audio in jack like all my previous Mac Pro models.

Can someone point me in the right direction for what hardware I need to get basic audio into the Mac and into Reason? Entry level stuff, and primarily for guitar.

Thanks!

MikeMcKew

12 Apr 2018

You will need an audio interface. Lots of good beginner options. Usually this is the one I recommend: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... arlett-2i2
Rothgarr wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Howdy,

I have an iMac, it doesn't have a dedicated audio in jack like all my previous Mac Pro models.

Can someone point me in the right direction for what hardware I need to get basic audio into the Mac and into Reason? Entry level stuff, and primarily for guitar.

Thanks!

Rothgarr

12 Apr 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
12 Apr 2018
You will need an audio interface. Lots of good beginner options. Usually this is the one I recommend: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... arlett-2i2
Rothgarr wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Howdy,

Thanks!
Thanks for the recommendation. Quick question -- nothing I own had that type of plug -- everything I have uses 1/4" plugs. DO I need to get some sort of adapter?

Could I just get something cheaper like these?: (which also has a 1/4" plug)

Or maybe even this?:

selig
RE Developer

12 Apr 2018

At the $99 level I'd choose the Scarlett because you get the 1/4" instrument input AND a mic input (and monitor outputs plus a 1/4" headphone jack w/volume) for the same price as the instrument input on the Line 6 (unless you need the amp models - not sure how they integrate with Reason, and Reason has some amp models built in).
Selig Audio, LLC

MikeMcKew

12 Apr 2018

Yes, the Scarlett Solo will work for you. Only reason I don't normally recommend it is because the line outputs on the back are unbalanced - might not be a big deal to you, particularly if you're not using monitors. I've also occasionally heard that the Solo is of lower manufacturing quality than what I linked (the 2i2, a step up from the Solo) - I can't vouch for how valid that is though. Also just be aware that the one I linked actually has 1/4" inputs - they're combo jacks, so you can plug a 1/4" cable or an XLR cable into it.

I'm not very familiar with that Line 6 model, but... eh. I've found Focusrite stuff to be more reliable than Line 6 stuff in the past. Also, the Scarlett is class compliant on Macs; from the Focusrite website: "All Focusrite USB 2.0 interfaces are 'Class Compliant', which means that they can be connected to a Mac computer without needing to install a separate driver."

Call me a fanboy, but Focusrite stuff has worked for me for years. :lol:
Rothgarr wrote:
12 Apr 2018
MikeMcKew wrote:
12 Apr 2018

Thanks for the recommendation. Quick question -- nothing I own had that type of plug -- everything I have uses 1/4" plugs. DO I need to get some sort of adapter?

Could I just get something cheaper like these?: (which also has a 1/4" plug)

Or maybe even this?:

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2018

Behringer has been destroying the competition lately.

More more and more for way less, without compromising quality. :thumbs_up:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... a-umc404hd

EDIT: FWIW I've had this for 2 years with no hiccups, except minor issues on Linux.
Last edited by aeox on 14 Apr 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Karim
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2018

+1000 for the Behringer solution!

I suggest Behringer too ( he has Midas pre-amp BTW).
It worth it. I just ordered one and at its price is STOLEN!
No way! :thumbs_up:
aeox wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Behringer has been destroying the competition lately.

More more and more for way less, without compromising quality. :thumbs_up:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... a-umc404hd
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

adfielding

13 Apr 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Ditto! I've been using a Pro40 for close to nine years now, the only drawback is that it's a Firewire interface, though it still works perfectly well with a dongle. If for some reason it broke or I couldn't continue to use it, I'd definitely look at Focusrite again.

That said... before the Pro40 I had a very basic Behringer FCA202 with a separate dbx mini-pre. Did the job, nothing fancy, and I recorded a lot of music with those.

Rothgarr

13 Apr 2018

Funny that you guys mentioned Behringer as I was also looking at these yesterday:

The price is right, as I need something super entry-level. I can always get something better if the need arises.

Thanks to everyone that contributed. I wasn't even sure what to look for until @MikeMcKey got me started in the right direction.

sublunar

13 Apr 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
12 Apr 2018
I bought two 18i20's recently and returned both. Totally soured my opinion of them. Looked awesome on paper but in practice it fell way short.

I've always had good luck with M-Audio. In fact, after trying out various interfaces, I tried the M-Track Eight and it does the job quite well. I previously had a Delta 1010LT in an XP machine and that thing never gave me a single problem.

selig
RE Developer

13 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
MikeMcKew wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Call me a fanboy, but Focusrite stuff has worked for me for years. [emoji1]
I bought two 18i20's recently and returned both. Totally soured my opinion of them. Looked awesome on paper but in practice it fell way short.

I've always had good luck with M-Audio. In fact, after trying out various interfaces, I tried the M-Track Eight and it does the job quite well. I previously had a Delta 1010LT in an XP machine and that thing never gave me a single problem.
How did the Scarlett fall short? Always had good luck with Focusrite, both Scarlett and now Clarett. Never tried MAudio interfaces…

Thinking UAD for my next interface.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

13 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
13 Apr 2018
sublunar wrote:

How did the Scarlett fall short? Always had good luck with Focusrite, both Scarlett and now Clarett. Never tried MAudio interfaces…

In my case, I was trying to run one instance of Arturia (any one of their soft synths) simultaneously with Reason. This was before VST support. I hardwired the output from Arturia back to the input of the interface to record in Reason. The 18i20 simply could not run both without intermittent click/pop at any reasonably low latency at 24 bit/96khz. This was on a brand new custom built PC (I'm in IT, I build my own and my last one was an XP machine which I kept in production for 10 years without a single issue) and I had performed all possible audio related optimizations. Brand new hardware, fresh install of Windows 7 x64. Also updated firmware on the 18i20 and using the latest drivers as well as the older ones during testing. The 18i20 was only stable if running a single program at really unimpressive settings. I don't recall exactly where it finally leveled out and didn't produce clicks and pops but I was making each adjustment incrementally, testing and taking notes. I think I remember having to either bump up the buffer size in 96k to ridiculous latencies or take it all the way down to 44.1 before getting a decent latency. It just didn't have the muscle where it counted.

When it comes to playing while recording or running more than one instance of an audio application at a time, the 18i20 is, in my experience a shiny turd. A sexy looking and impressively spec'd turd but a turd nonetheless. The M-Track Eight worked exactly as I had hoped right out of the gate. My old Delta 1010lt ran stable for a solid decade without a click/pop and I'd still be using it if it had decent Win7 support.

I mainly play physical instruments and record over what I've previously played, so super low latency is very important to me. And I have a powerful computer to which I add storage any time I run low, so high sample rates at the expense of storage space is fine with me. Computer performance will not ever be an excuse for me to operate at lower quality anything. As far as the difference between 24/16 & 96/44.1, I'm not interested in debating nyquist and all that. My target is simply 24/96 and if an interface is going to advertise well above that (18i20 claims 192khz), then they sure as hell better be able to pull of 96. I feel the 18i20 sounds awesome on paper but in my experience was too buggy, too expensive and unstable to be worthy of a spot in my rack. Your mileage may vary.

selig
RE Developer

13 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
13 Apr 2018

In my case, I was trying to run one instance of Arturia (any one of their soft synths) simultaneously with Reason. This was before VST support. I hardwired the output from Arturia back to the input of the interface to record in Reason. The 18i20 simply could not run both without intermittent click/pop at any reasonably low latency at 24 bit/96khz. This was on a brand new custom built PC (I'm in IT, I build my own and my last one was an XP machine which I kept in production for 10 years without a single issue) and I had performed all possible audio related optimizations. Brand new hardware, fresh install of Windows 7 x64. Also updated firmware on the 18i20 and using the latest drivers as well as the older ones during testing. The 18i20 was only stable if running a single program at really unimpressive settings. I don't recall exactly where it finally leveled out and didn't produce clicks and pops but I was making each adjustment incrementally, testing and taking notes. I think I remember having to either bump up the buffer size in 96k to ridiculous latencies or take it all the way down to 44.1 before getting a decent latency. It just didn't have the muscle where it counted.

When it comes to playing while recording or running more than one instance of an audio application at a time, the 18i20 is, in my experience a shiny turd. A sexy looking and impressively spec'd turd but a turd nonetheless. The M-Track Eight worked exactly as I had hoped right out of the gate. My old Delta 1010lt ran stable for a solid decade without a click/pop and I'd still be using it if it had decent Win7 support.

I mainly play physical instruments and record over what I've previously played, so super low latency is very important to me. And I have a powerful computer to which I add storage any time I run low, so high sample rates at the expense of storage space is fine with me. Computer performance will not ever be an excuse for me to operate at lower quality anything. As far as the difference between 24/16 & 96/44.1, I'm not interested in debating nyquist and all that. My target is simply 24/96 and if an interface is going to advertise well above that (18i20 claims 192khz), then they sure as hell better be able to pull of 96. I feel the 18i20 sounds awesome on paper but in my experience was too buggy, too expensive and unstable to be worthy of a spot in my rack. Your mileage may vary.
Makes sense - I’m on a Mac and don’t use higher sample rates, but DO record a lot of live instruments and need low latency. Currently enjoying the thunderbolt interface for that reason.

Selig Audio, LLC

United South

14 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
13 Apr 2018
selig wrote:
13 Apr 2018

I had the same problem had to spend big on a good replacement RME Fireface ufc +.

United South

14 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
13 Apr 2018
sublunar wrote:

Makes sense - I’m on a Mac and don’t use higher sample rates, but DO record a lot of live instruments and need low latency. Currently enjoying the thunderbolt interface for that reason.

If I might ask why are you switching to UAD?

kuhliloach

14 Apr 2018

My next interface will probably be by Focusrite as I hear mostly great things about them. But like most products not all the reviews are perfect. Do you think there is a quality control problem, or instead maybe the issues that come up are on the user side? (As a reminder most USB problems can be solved by fixing USB power issues; sometimes you need an AC powered hub, or changing/configuring USB ports to solve power problems.)

FlowerSoldier

14 Apr 2018

UAD has onboard SHARC DSP processors. You can run plugins on the interface and track with really good hardware emulations. It's called UAD Unison.
Pretty cool stuff.
Antares has a sale on their AutoTune Unison for $249 usd right now.

selig
RE Developer

15 Apr 2018

United South wrote:
selig wrote:
13 Apr 2018

If I might ask why are you switching to UAD?
I’ve not made any decision yet, I’m just leaning that way based on specifically what I’m looking for (1U rack mount device, a few mic pre amps because I already have others, up to 8 analog I/Os for external FX like my PCM-70), feedback from friends who use the interface (and studios I’ve worked in that use them), and reading reviews/comments.

The built in effect are a big bonus too, but I’m also considering many others from Focusrite, Apogee, MOTU, Presonous, and Antelope (and there are probably others I’ve looked at but can’t recall at the moment).

Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

19 Apr 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
14 Apr 2018
My next interface will probably be by Focusrite as I hear mostly great things about them. But like most products not all the reviews are perfect. Do you think there is a quality control problem, or instead maybe the issues that come up are on the user side? (As a reminder most USB problems can be solved by fixing USB power issues; sometimes you need an AC powered hub, or changing/configuring USB ports to solve power problems.)
I ruled out those possibilities. And it sounds like I'm not the only one as United South said he had the same problem. As I mentioned, I'm in IT and I went through it all from a very technical standpoint testing incrementally. I also tried the 18i20 in my previous DAW with similar issues. The only other possibility was some sort of conflict between the drivers and my chipset (I used both the most current as well as earlier versions of their drivers and started testing with the shipped firmware and then updated the firmare myself which made no difference). But the thing worked at lower quality settings so I'm thinking if there was such a problem, it would have been buggy all around. My opinion is the device was not engineered to perform as well as it looks on paper. The competing product which I previously mentioned worked flawlessly at high quality settings and very low latency right out of the gate. I'm still using the M-Audio device on a daily basis with zero audible latency @ 96khz.

selig
RE Developer

19 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
19 Apr 2018
kuhliloach wrote:
14 Apr 2018
I ruled out those possibilities. And it sounds like I'm not the only one as United South said he had the same problem. As I mentioned, I'm in IT and I went through it all from a very technical standpoint testing incrementally. I also tried the 18i20 in my previous DAW with similar issues. The only other possibility was some sort of conflict between the drivers and my chipset (I used both the most current as well as earlier versions of their drivers and started testing with the shipped firmware and then updated the firmare myself which made no difference). But the thing worked at lower quality settings so I'm thinking if there was such a problem, it would have been buggy all around. My opinion is the device was not engineered to perform as well as it looks on paper. The competing product which I previously mentioned worked flawlessly at high quality settings and very low latency right out of the gate. I'm still using the M-Audio device on a daily basis with zero audible latency @ 96khz.
It's important IMO to indicate what specifically doesn't work when you say something failed to meet expectations - not you specifically, but anyone. In my specific case, on a mac, at 44.1 kHz, I've worked with two Focusrite interfaces that performed exactly to spec (one USB, one Thunderbolt).

That's why I always read negative reviews, mainly to see if the thing that bothered the reviewer would also bother me. In many cases the negative aspects don't apply to me. And that's why I look for more specifics, especially when a review contradicts my own experience.

Full disclosure: I wrote a review of the Clarett 2Pre for Recording Magazine, and ended up purchasing the review unit because of my positive experience. Not that my review was 100% positive by any means, but the things I found objectionable may not matter to others…

I'm also looking into the Presonus interfaces - I have had a Central Station for almost 15 years now and it's worked flawlessly!
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

19 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
19 Apr 2018

It's important IMO to indicate what specifically doesn't work when you say something failed to meet expectations - not you specifically, but anyone. In my specific case, on a mac, at 44.1 kHz, I've worked with two Focusrite interfaces that performed exactly to spec (one USB, one Thunderbolt).

That's why I always read negative reviews, mainly to see if the thing that bothered the reviewer would also bother me. In many cases the negative aspects don't apply to me. And that's why I look for more specifics, especially when a review contradicts my own experience.
I do agree and I think I clarified myself when you pointed that out earlier. My only excuse for not starting out overly specific was that it has been about a year since I performed my tests. Maybe even a little longer. I don't even have the notes I had taken anymore, which means that was before I wiped my phone. I thought I had taken a screencap before wiping it, but I guess I didn't bother since i didn't keep the interface anyway.

selig
RE Developer

19 Apr 2018

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
19 Apr 2018

I do agree and I think I clarified myself when you pointed that out earlier. My only excuse for not starting out overly specific was that it has been about a year since I performed my tests. Maybe even a little longer. I don't even have the notes I had taken anymore, which means that was before I wiped my phone. I thought I had taken a screencap before wiping it, but I guess I didn't bother since i didn't keep the interface anyway.
Apologies for sounding like I was talking about your comments specifically - not my intention! :)

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information