u-he Modular Eurorack Synth

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

06 Apr 2018

The Rackbrute came right on time.
One module to start and we will see how it goes. We have ideas for others.
They are introducing the new module at Superbooth 2018, which is scheduled for May 3-5, 2018.

If anyone is the slightest bit worried that u-he is getting out of the software game, don’t worry, it has reiterated that software is still very much on the menu, in the comments section.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhL5LyhBHZP ... superbooth

Faastwalker

10 Apr 2018

Cool. Interested to see what they are up to. Pretty close to buying a small rack case (TipTop Happy Ending) to expand the modular options I have with the Kilpatrick Phenol. Looking for strong candidates to fill the limited 80HP I will have available. Could this be one?

O1B

11 Apr 2018

Push. Turn. Move.
80HP.....? You're gonna need a Bigger Skiff.

i have 188HP w/ rackBrute, but picking the most versatile modules is a tricky business. Im glad Im only starting now. There are so many empty boards out there. Modules have really IMPROVED in this new time - as did hardware (TR-8S, phenol...)

Notes to Self. A ..
- Proper (Stereo) Mixer/ VCA (w/Drive),
- Proper Step SEQ,
- Proper ARP,
- Proper EQ,
- Proper DrumSET,
- Proper VCO /LFO - maybe a Digital one...,
- Proper VCF,
- Proper Analysis Tool,
- Proper Envelope Generator,
- Proper Logic Gate,
- Proper USB, MIDI, CV, and Audio interface (2+ devices)
- Proper FX (Delay/ Reverb, Distortion, Pitch)
- Proper X/Y, motion, Touch, Pressure Interface,

then utes....
- Multis, 1:3, Route 3 to 1 , Switch between destinations, Switch between Sources.
- VU meter
- etc etc etc

but, the sonics, tho...

PATCH & TWEAK: foreword by Suzanne Ciani, written by Kim Bjørn and Chris Meyer, and edited by Paul Nagle.
The authors plan to publish Patch & Tweak via a Kickstarter project, which is expected to launch May 1st.

... notes to self.... QuadLFO, Dual ADSR, Planar, Plonk, STO, THREE SISTERS...

Faastwalker

11 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
11 Apr 2018
At the moment I'm just looking to add a little to the Phenol's abilities rather than dive head long into Eurorack ........... must resist for the sake of my bank account & possibly sanity. I have enough space in my desktop rack for one of these to fill with a few choice modules;

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/hek.php

The Patch & Tweak book looks nice ;)

O1B

12 Apr 2018

I hear that.

I was just checking out your synth. What's your eurorack plan? Im interested.

Lots of Cool 2-3 HP tools/ FX/ and utes from TipTop and Pico (EricaSynths). Can't forget 2HP.
I committed to TTA ONE (Sampler) & Snare808, Pico Drums (2), and Pico DSP (8 FX - dry/wet in 3HP)...

The next part is just to scare you into thinking from all angles if you $$$ is precious to you.

-but, w/80
no Maths... that's 20 HP
no Lifeforms System Interface (6 channel mixer w, PAN, DRIVE, AUX SENDS (stereo return) that's 24 HP
and, no MI Shelves EQ.. at 18 HP.. the perfect device for your synth,

Sound Advice when it comes to thinking too small:

For Equalization (Dynamic or Static), MultiBand Expansion and/or Compression
Shelves, by Mutable Instrument, It's probably going to be the best EQ I own. (arrives Monday)
- 20Hz to 20 kKz... for all bands. unheard of.
- CV for Freq, Gain, and Q on ALL Bands.
- Clean.
- Breakout ports for Feedback.

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Apr 2018
O1B wrote:
11 Apr 2018
At the moment I'm just looking to add a little to the Phenol's abilities rather than dive head long into Eurorack ........... must resist for the sake of my bank account & possibly sanity. I have enough space in my desktop rack for one of these to fill with a few choice modules;

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/hek.php

The Patch & Tweak book looks nice ;)

Faastwalker

12 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
12 Apr 2018
I hear that. I was just checking out your synth. What's your eurorack plan? I'm interested.
The main thing I’m thinking about is expanding what I have with the Phenol. But I think the focus will be more on experimental, soundscape / drone, FX type explorations. I’m happy with more conventional sounds from the rest of my set-up i.e. Want a bass / lead patch - load one up or dial-in on my monosynth. Patching to get these type of sounds doesn’t really interest me. It feels like the long way round to get somewhere that’s already accessible via other means. The modular stuff is more about exploring & experimenting with sound for me. That’s where I see the fun.

Still unsure on what my first modules might be. The Maths seems to be everywhere and increasingly so the Xaoc Batumi. Strong candidates. I’m thinking an Expert Sleepers ES-8 would need to find its way in there for interfacing with Reason. That would be awesome. With that in mind a lot of modulation sources could come from Reason. So maybe that will shift the focus to sound sources in Eurorack. I like the sound of the Erica VCO’s. Very cool. The Mutable instruments stuff looks bloody awesome as well, although I’m still not clear on what does what with their devices! So much to explore, so little time, space & money!

O1B

17 Apr 2018

I looked up your synth... BIG as my minibrute 2s.
NOTE.... never seen one hooked to modular gear...

- Completely Modular - so Plenty of Stackables...Image - but, Phenol uses Banana Clips
- One LFO, mimimal/one control
- Limited Adder/Mixer for using/panning all the waves from the Phenol
- Banana Clips - Good Luck.
- Grounding. - not shelded well against Noise.
- MATHS type A/R stage vs a true SET of ADSRs.
- One LFO vs the usual two.

So, you have a few more (some SERIOUS) things - than you mentioned or realize - to contend with.

I see where you're coming from, but you've convinced yourself you 'dont need MUCH.'

Reality:
After (1) solving the Grounding NOISE (USB) Issue - and (2) soldering BClips to TS/TRSs -
and finally hooking a Maths to your Phenol, you will find that you have no idea what it does or how its 'moving.'
The same will happen when you finally banana clip your phenol to a Batumi.
Do you have a plan for 'reading' the CV - or is it all just happy accidents?
- not that theres anything wrong with that.

Just playing Devil's Advocate . But from my experience, Maths was a good first pedal.
But I'd have been lost w/o a CV reader. It showed me what devices I would need - strangely enough.
You could use the ES-8 and Reason - BUT, ... $500, USB noise, Banana clips, and Latency.

Are you going to depend on Reason to ARP or Step Sequence your Phenol?
You really don't need Spider Audio MERGER/ SPLITTERS in your setup? A Real Mixer?
...not even Attenuverters? Most plugs are kicking out HOT signals, as you will see.

Nice Synth:

Faastwalker wrote:
12 Apr 2018
O1B wrote:
12 Apr 2018
I hear that. I was just checking out your synth. What's your eurorack plan? I'm interested.
The main thing I’m thinking about is expanding what I have with the Phenol. But I think the focus will be more on experimental, soundscape / drone, FX type explorations. I’m happy with more conventional sounds from the rest of my set-up i.e. Want a bass / lead patch - load one up or dial-in on my monosynth. Patching to get these type of sounds doesn’t really interest me. It feels like the long way round to get somewhere that’s already accessible via other means. The modular stuff is more about exploring & experimenting with sound for me. That’s where I see the fun.

Still unsure on what my first modules might be. The Maths seems to be everywhere and increasingly so the Xaoc Batumi. Strong candidates. I’m thinking an Expert Sleepers ES-8 would need to find its way in there for interfacing with Reason. That would be awesome. With that in mind a lot of modulation sources could come from Reason. So maybe that will shift the focus to sound sources in Eurorack. I like the sound of the Erica VCO’s. Very cool. The Mutable instruments stuff looks bloody awesome as well, although I’m still not clear on what does what with their devices! So much to explore, so little time, space & money!
Last edited by O1B on 01 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

17 Apr 2018

I did some research before buying the Phenol as I expected I might want to add some modules to it in the future. Kilpatrick have a banana to mini jack cable kit available, which includes a cable for grounding purposes. The Phenol has a dedicated ground connector on the back (although for some reason Andrew Kilpatrick doesn't use this connector in the video below). The LFO on the Phenol is like an afterthought. Although it is still useful & can be used as a noise source. The envelope sections on the Phenol also work as LFOs in one of their modes. They're actually a lot more capable as LFOs in this mode than the LFO section. Would have been cool if the LFO section was more comprehensive. But it works well in conjunction with some of the other sections.

I'm not completely sold on the Maths. Just seems to be something of a 'classic' euro rack module, if there is such a thing. It's everywhere. Would be cool to have some sort of device for analyzing the signals. It's not a priority though as this is more about experimenting & just playing around. I agree that an attenuverter would make a lot of sense. Will probably need to factor something in that has this capability. But to start with (famous last words where Eurorack is concerned I'm sure) I'm really just looking to add a little extra to the Phenol to expand it's capabilities. That's why I wanted to start with an all in one solution rather than plan a more sizeable (but modest) Eurorack case that I'd have to spend a fair bit on before I could do much at all. Saying that the '3 module challenge' videos are very inspiring.

....... or you can make your own;

Last edited by Faastwalker on 17 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

17 Apr 2018

(1) Kilpatrick (banana to mini jack cable kit ) . Perfect. I was checking and couldn't find any.
(2) Phenol - LFO. Yes. The ENV section looks very well equipped for sure.
But, as far as LFOs, that's an easy fix for you.
- The Batumi is an awesome choice. VERY SLOW (.01s? to fast) . But no 'on tap' TEMPO.
w/ the ES-8 (computer access) you have Reason CV madness...

but consider the 4ms Quad Pingable. .0002 ms LFO AND Tap Tempo.
Then you have complete control. MN' sTempi w/6 TAPS is pretty awesome, too.

(3) I hope I didn't deter you. I am so glad I got MATHS first! no way I could do without it.
- It's an attenuator and Amp - if you need 1 ( or 4!) ... it Whips! and Tames!
- It's a Logic gate which is the stuff of Glitch!! for your synth. Only one needed, so far.
- It's 2 LFO's with external clock - before you get an LFO mod.
Any shape from TRI to SIN to RAMP with the Lin/EXP/LOG knob.
- It's an Inverter ... yep, just flipping the signal can be useful... none on Phenol i can see.
- It's an External Envelope Generator for Phenol.
- It's a VCO... Sounds nice, too.

On the TOP 100 modules ACTUALLY IN racks, MATHS is #1.
Top RATED: #3. The First two. Three Sisters and FM Aid. RARE.
I have way more confidence picking modules now that Ive worked w/Maths for a bit .

(4) Im interested in that All-in-One Solution. I've seen a few, but they seem pricier that way - and, are still missing things. Which are on your radar?

I have a 6U - but am ordering a 3U for the Road. I need a few mods w/me 24-7:
A Proper Tappable LFO and Voltage Controlled Filter are a must for me now:

(5) Thank you for the 3 Module Challenge Videos. Ill check them out.
Faastwalker wrote:
17 Apr 2018
I did some research before buying the Phenol as I expected I might want to add some modules to it in the future. Kilpatrick have a banana to mini jack cable kit available, which includes a cable for grounding purposes. The Phenol has a dedicated ground connector on the back (although for some reason Andrew Kilpatrick doesn't use this connector in the video below). The LFO on the Phenol is like an afterthought. Although it is still useful & can be used as a noise source. The envelope sections on the Phenol also work as LFOs in one of their modes. They're actually a lot more capable as LFOs in this mode than the LFO section. Would have been cool if the LFO section was more comprehensive. But it works well in conjunction with some of the other sections.

I'm not completely sold on the Maths. Just seems to be something of a 'classic' euro rack module, if there is such a thing. It's everywhere. Would be cool to have some sort of device for analyzing the signals. It's not a priority though as this is more about experimenting a just playing around. I agree that an attenuverter would make a lot of sense. Will probably need to factor something in that has that capability. But to start with (famous last words where Eurorack is concerned I'm sure) I'm really just looking to add a little extra to the Phenol to expand it's capabilities. That's why I wanted to start with an all in one solution rather than plan a more sizeable but still modest Eurorack case that I'd have to spend a fair bit on before I could do much at all. Saying that the '3 module challenge' videos are very inspiring.
Last edited by O1B on 01 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

17 Apr 2018

Maths sounds like a must. I didn't realise it worked as a VCO as well. It looks like a Swiss army knife of a module. I'll check out the 4ms Quad as well. Thanks for the heads up.

The Phenol was my all-in-one modular solution. I wanted something that would be a jump start into modular, ready to go out of the box. I also liked that it was fully modular as opposed to semi-modular, which a lot of such devices tend to be, as it forced me to have to patch to get a sound & therefore learn more about how all this stuff works together.

I Also thought about the Moog Mother 32, the Pittsburgh Lifeforms, The Dreadbox Nyx & a few others I can't recall right now. EDIT: Actually the Make Noise 0-Coast was very close to being bought in place of the Phenol. Most are semi-modular & are more like mono synths with patch points. The Phenol was more like a bunch of Kilpatrick modules lumped together in one box & for a fair bit less than it would cost to assemble similar modules + a case & a power supply. A bit odd they decided to go with banana cables / connectors! I'm not completely sure what the reasoning is behind this. They do have their own modular system that also uses banana connectors. So maybe it was a lot to do with this;

https://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=kformat
Last edited by Faastwalker on 19 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Faastwalker

17 Apr 2018

The Tip Top Happy Ending story / work in progress / so far;

Like what I'm hearing from the Tip Top wavefolder & it's not a particularly expensive module. The Black Wavetable VCO sounds bloody awesome from the YouTube demo I've heard. But so do a lot of the Erica Black modules so by no means set on this one. As I said it's just a few things I've considered along with the Batumi. I'm drawn to a lot of the Make Noise modules as well. I really like the demos I've heard from the Telharmonic. But people seem split on this one. Maybe a bit too specific for my needs? One module I really, really love the sound of is the Strymon Magneto. That thing sounds epic. Jeez, where does this end?!!

O1B

21 Apr 2018

Power on the Right and ES-8 on the Left. Very Australia.

4ms Ping heads up. Can only 'tap' or 'clock'. You can't adjust the time in increments that I can tell.
Now, the Batumi is Higher on my list. It is highly regarded. I just wish it had tap tempo.

I have the TTA S808 and I'm interested in their sampler: ONE. Check that out as a mini VCO.
I also grabbed Pico DSP and DRUMS.
It's nice to trigger drums off the quantized grid for a change. SOOO much better. But Tip Top's Black Label line will make you want them all. They got you too.

I figure I'll ES-8 those events and use them to fire Proper Drums.

Ill stick to my pedals for FX.
I wanted Magneto (Live Tape), 1010music FX, and Morphagene (Live Tape, Tape Loop)
But they all eat real estate, so Il stick to my Moogerfooger FX and add Morphagene.

... sides, I already have a Capistan. the Body it gives vocals is plenty for me.
I do have to watch magneto more. if it can reverse and loop.... interesting, indeed.

Grounding will be an issue. Crappy unsheilded wires, or electrical wires touching audio cables will cause noise so dont skimp there or you'll be really annoyed.

Glad we're having this talk. I would have made quite a few mistakes without it.
Thanks!
Faastwalker wrote:
17 Apr 2018
The Tip Top Happy Ending story / work in progress / so far;

Like what I'm hearing from the Tip Top wavefolder & it's not a particularly expensive module. The Black Wavetable VCO sounds bloody awesome from the YouTube demo I've heard. But so do a lot of the Erica Black modules so by no means set on this one. As I said it's just a few things I've considered along with the Batumi. I'm drawn to a lot of the Make Noise modules as well. I really like the demos I've heard from the Telharmonic. But people seem split on this one. Maybe a bit too specific for my needs? One module I really, really love the sound of is the Strymon Magneto. That thing sounds epic. Jeez, where does this end?!!

Faastwalker

23 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
21 Apr 2018
Power on the Right and ES-8 on the Left. Very Australia.
lol. I was going to mount them upside down! But nothing is final. If I go this route & get an ES-8 will likely both end up on the left side of the rack due to proximity of PC & power points. With the power & USB cables anchored together & to behind the rack somewhere to create a neat little loop leading off out of site ........ then onto a spaghetti mass of patch cables everywhere else :)
4ms Ping heads up. Can only 'tap' or 'clock'. You can't adjust the time in increments that I can tell.
Now, the Batumi is Higher on my list. It is highly regarded. I just wish it had tap tempo.
The more I'm thinking about it, the more I feel I should get the ES-8 & leave the bulk of the modulation & sequencing duties to Reason. Makes more sense, in my limited space, to concentrate mainly on sound generating & sculpting modules. Things that will offer something over what I might already be able to do elsewhere. Either that or modules that genuinely offer something unique and / or compliments the Phenol's modules.
Ill stick to my pedals for FX.
I wanted Magneto (Live Tape), 1010music FX, and Morphagene (Live Tape, Tape Loop)
But they all eat real estate, so Il stick to my Moogerfooger FX and add Morphagene.
Makes sense if you already have them. I probably wouldn't get one currently but that Magneto does look & sound bloody good. The Morphagene as well. A pricey module but looks like very deep with endless possibilities & fun with that thing.
Thanks!
It's all a learning curve. Actually I've just read in a review of the Phenol that it is bi-polar & may not play well with some modules that are uni-polar. Not something I was even aware of and as such considered. Maybe something else I need to look in to. Always more to learn and, I fear, purchase!!

O1B

29 May 2018

Hey Hey Hey! Just checking in or your system. And, ...telling you 'bout some triggers I've pulled.

I went with your first Call. The Batumi. and the Poti. (without it - i would've skipped it)
There were 12 Poti modules at Perfect Circuit YESTERDAY. Today... SOLD OUT!!!

Now, about that Samara (vs Triatt/Blinds/Veils) as an a'verter/Polarizer...
and the Zandar... as a QUAD ADSR. .. with the Nin expander (future)? lots of cables..!!

I also grabbed a Joystick. Flight of Harmony CHOICES. I feel REALLY Lucky to have found one.
I know Im grabbing Planar 2 when it comes out (QUAD panning - Batumiiiii) - but... CHOICES.

But, I also want the Flame Memory Joystick. It can Hold, Detentes, and Record 8 sequences.
Planar 2 will record, but my whole video game history is with a joystick at center position.
It's what I know. ..... but, three joysticks...? I haven't even bought an OSC yet. (Dixie II+)

Lots of old gear helped paved the way. It's less cluttered around here.
Any additions on your end? Butami? Performance Control devices? Synth.
Faastwalker wrote:
23 Apr 2018
O1B wrote:
21 Apr 2018
Thanks!
It's all a learning curve. Actually I've just read in a review of the Phenol that it is bi-polar & may not play well with some modules that are uni-polar. Not something I was even aware of and as such considered. Maybe something else I need to look in to. Always more to learn and, I fear, purchase!!

Faastwalker

30 Sep 2018

........... it begins! :D

O1B

01 Oct 2018

That is a REALLY NICE Skiff! I LOVE IT!
The PHENOL is bad ass looking. I Always thought that.

- is that another ROW on top? I see wires hanging.

You done GOOD!

- a few haters on here about Eurorack, but I can forgive 'em! -
Vaya con Dios!
Faastwalker wrote:
30 Sep 2018
........... it begins! :D

Faastwalker

01 Oct 2018

O1B wrote:
01 Oct 2018
That is a REALLY NICE Skiff! I LOVE IT!

- is that another ROW on top? I see wires hanging.
Yes, it's a nice little kit. Perfect for me as I'm starting small & already had the desktop rack with 3U of blanking plates + of course the Phenol. Just need more modules now. In no rush though. Taking my time to make sure I fill it will the best modules for what I want to do. Need more banana to mini jack cables as well. I bought the Kilpatrick kit. But it's only x4 cables + the x1 grounding cable to connect between the non grounded banana connections & standard Eurorack modules. The cables are about a meter long as well. I could get away with less than half that length. So going to see if I can get some made to order somewhere.

That's a patch bay above, not another row ........... although I wouldn't rule it out looking forward ;)

O1B

05 Nov 2018

One Word: Kilpatrick.
Im a believer.

I sold my OTO BAM. REDOX. Proper screen. Proper knobs for filter or dialing in proper settings.
I THOUGHT I missed TORQUE so I emailed them about any units laying around.

Andrew wrote to say that TORQUE was delayed for REDOX and a couple other things. whew!!!
Im glad I didn't miss it. A Stereo Multi Band Compressor in a Box. AWESOME!!!!
Heat is still my go to Master - but a digi-mb-compressor sounds perfect for going wild.

I hope that Torque has side chain inputs and, not just over midi.
Easy out there,
O1B
Faastwalker wrote:
01 Oct 2018
O1B wrote:
01 Oct 2018
Yes, it's a nice little kit. ...Just need more modules now. In no rush though. Taking my time to make sure I fill it will the best modules for what I want to do. Need more banana to mini jack cables as well. I bought the Kilpatrick kit. ...

• Information