Synthstrom Deluge and Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Innerst

25 Mar 2018

Does anyone here use the Deluge together with Reason?

I just ordered a unit :D

While I am waiting for the Deluge I want to look into how to integrate it with my Reason workflow. As a MIDI hub I am using Bome MIDI Translator.

So far I have identified the following things to check out when this wonderful box arrives:

#1 Use the Deluge sequencer to trigger Reason instruments, REs, VSTs and possibly keyboard shortcuts

I am a heavy Matrix user focusing more on live performance as opposed to using the Reason sequencer. I was hoping to more or less replace the Matrix with the Deluge, effectively using it as my main sequencer.

#2 Hook up my MIDI keyboard so I can play instruments/samples from the Deluge

I guess this should be straight forward to set up? When the Deluge is connected to my DAW I would also like to play instruments directly in Reason using the same keyboard. I guess I can also record directly to the Deluge sequencer from my MIDI keyboard?

#3 Transfer samples from Reason to the Deluge

I want to try out leaving my laptop behind when traveling and only take my Deluge with me. I tend to be much more productive with hardware and MIDI controllers so for travel I imagine having only the Deluge + a compact midi keyboard with me. I know the Deluge has decent time stretching which means I can probably sample a few notes from my favourite synths and then play with them while travelling.

#4 Transfer patterns from Reason to Deluge

Since I am a heavy Matrix user I have lots of patterns laying around in various Reason projects. So I imagine it would be possible to transfer those patterns to the Deluge? Maybe I am being overly optimistic here. This is of course excluding any Reason automation which would be impossible to recreate on the Deluge.

#5 Transfer offline Deluge work to Reason

When coming back home to my studio I want to use whatever content created on the Deluge in Reason. I guess the most obvious thing to do is just hook the Deluge up to Reason and have sound output instantly available as an audio stream. Possibly also replacing triggering of Deluge samples with MIDI cc to trigger the full synth in Reason.

#6 Managing Deluge projects on my PC

So the Deluge will eventually be filled up with songs and patterns where you at one stage needs to clear its memory. I imagine it would be possible to transfer these songs as XML to the computer and have an archive of my Deluge projects. So for travelling I can then take with me these XMLs and have multiple projects I can continue to work on while on the road.

Any comments to the above?

O1B

25 Mar 2018

Congrats on the Purchase.

The DELUGE is a SOUND BEAST.
It has great onboard sounds and I just usually shape/play/seq those . Ive not sampled yet.

And, it sure is Pretty.
I wanted it for MICRO-TIMING.. I was done with the 16 rigid steps. and it delivers.
192 positions between Steps, if memory serves.... Just like the Elektrons.
Playable surface so no need for keys or pads - but they can be midi'd on easily. nice.
*** Long Life BATTERIES ***
Unlimited Tracks/Steps, Custom steps per tracks, UI's awesome Grid SYSTEM:

The lighting strategy is very useful in remembering where you are - in the absence of OLED.
It's on V1.4 (haven't downloaded yet) so it is being improved continuously.

I dont have a PROPER CASE for it, and I only purchased the dust cover.
Its precious to me so I never carry it, but I wish I could. If you find a good travel housing, do share.

Check out the other top samplers to consider what you get, what you lack, and how to compensate. I have NO regrets on the Deluge, but be aware of it's strengths and limitations to overcome them - as with any gear.

When I realized I needed to understand Sampling, the market went from NONE to Plenty.

Electribe 2.0
Volca Sampler.
Deluge.
Digitakt. MK2 Octatrack, Rytm.
PO 33KO! (Dont sleep on it) and Speak.... OP-Z coming.
MPC Live.
Maschine MK3.
TR-8S.

BUT the #1 reason for a DELUGE is the UI. 8 X 16 pads (with scroll) for instant matrixing.
Only a couple of these things are made, and the Deluge is #1. ... MatrixBrute is a lil BIG.

Oh, and I've NEVER hook the Deluge to Reason - except to Record the Audio.
But, Im interested in the integration.

Happy Step Sequencing. Im using mine today.
Innerst wrote:
25 Mar 2018
Does anyone here use the Deluge together with Reason?
I just ordered a unit :D

... I want to look into how to integrate it with my Reason workflow. ... using Bome MIDI Translator.
#1 Use the Deluge sequencer to trigger Reason instruments, REs, VSTs and possibly keyboard shortcuts
MATRIX
#2 Hook up my MIDI keyboard so I can play instruments/samples from the Deluge
#3 Transfer samples from Reason to the Deluge
I know the Deluge has decent time stretching which means I can probably sample a few notes from my favourite synths and then play with them while travelling.
#4 Transfer patterns from Reason to Deluge
#5 Transfer offline Deluge work to Reason
...have sound output instantly available as an audio stream. Possibly also replacing triggering of Deluge samples with MIDI cc to trigger the full synth in Reason.
#6 Managing Deluge projects on my PC

Any comments to the above?

Innerst

27 Mar 2018

Nice setup you have there 01B :)

You mention you have never tried triggering Reason devices or VSTs from the Deluge? Thats the first thing I will check out! How about those other hardware synths you have? I guess you can sequence them from the Deluge.

The Deluge sequencer and large grid with navigation and zoom was an instant sell for me. Currently I am messing around with multiple Matrix devices in Reason, one for each instrument, and it is rather difficult to manage if you just want to improvise.

Also I needed some hands on equipment for travelling. For transport I will just use an old PC bag.

Deluge is my first hardware box after moving away from standalone boxes a few years back. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of even more gear :)

O1B

29 Mar 2018

Sorry... that's just a web shot... although, I do have the a few nice ones.

Sequencing: I wanted the Deluge - less for MIDI sequencing - more for the 8*16 grid.
And the unlimited tracks. And, the unlimited Bars/Steps. And, micro-steps ala Elektron.
You will very pleased with the Sonics.

Portable. Try to find a proper padded case. I aint risking a hair on it's chin.
It's just too Sexy. Im hoping the OP-Z is the answer to my 'Portable Dreams"
Electribe 2.0 is a current roadie, but it's rigid 16 steps are a bore.

Which/What standalone box do you mean, if you dont mind?

The beginning... Now, you'll want a proper synth, and a dedicated Drum machine.
Best of Luck with your Gear.
Innerst wrote:
27 Mar 2018
Nice setup you have there 01B :)

You mention you have never tried triggering Reason devices or VSTs from the Deluge? Thats the first thing I will check out! How about those other hardware synths you have? I guess you can sequence them from the Deluge.

The Deluge sequencer and large grid with navigation and zoom was an instant sell for me. Currently I am messing around with multiple Matrix devices in Reason, one for each instrument, and it is rather difficult ... if you just want to improvise.

Also I needed some hands on equipment for travelling. For transport I will just use an old PC bag.

Deluge is my first hardware box after moving away from standalone boxes a few years back. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of even more gear :)

• Information