Next piece of hardware.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
alexjoe9

11 Mar 2018

I recently got set up with Reason and bought a couple of the booster pack refills to get my sound library going but, I think i'm done with purchasing expansions for a minute. I play some bass, and look forward to recording some voice. because of that the local music store was selling a CAD M179 Condenser mic for 99 dollars so I jumped on it as everywhere I looked had it for 200. Now I need to find a USB interface to go with it. My thinking here was what should I use with it. Focusrite, and the Cubase ur series were the top choices I saw initially, BTW money is definitely in the equation, can't break the bank on this stuff. My thinking was what included software does it come with. focusrite comes with ableton live lite, (which im not sure you can upgrade to full from) and pro tools first which is free anyway. Cubase urseries comes with a lite version of cubase... duh. The last one looked like Presonus box, which also comes with studio one artist, not bad really as that seems like the most inclusive software and the box 96 is only a 99 dollar price point that with features the cost of the others at a 150 dollar price.

First I would like some recommendations for the hardware and also if you run other software with the program such as pro tools, cubase, or ableton, then which one and why, and how do they relate and integrate.

What I see with each Focusrite good name comes with ableton lite and protools first (free anyway), UR 22 is specifically the one I'm looking at comes with cubase 2 midis as well as 2 hybrid inputs also the ability for external power which is a perk for me with the extra micro usb port in back. Presonus includes studio one artist, possibly the most complete inclusive software our of all, and has similar features as UR22 to an extent. Lastly is Behringer which just all around has a better price point. help me narrow between them all. BTW Behringer comes with Traction 4... ?

QVprod

11 Mar 2018

Focusrite also gives new free plugins away to interface owners every month. Since you already have Reason, none of the DAW offers with interfaces are really worth much unless you intend to upgrade aside from maybe Tracktion. Studio One Artist doesn’t allow external plugins so it’s extremely limited for music making unless you upgrade to Pro or buy the AU, VST, Rewire add on on the Presonus shop. Personally I use a Focusrite interface and have zero problems with it on Mac, but some people have problems with Focusrite drivers on Windows.

alexjoe9

11 Mar 2018

Traction? I never did anything with that is it worth it to do traction, what does it do that Reason doesn't if anything. Also Studio one was one of my runner ups before I decided to jump on the Reason deal recently so not sure if I am still interested although it seems like reason is now ahead of studio one and they both do the same thing.

can you expand on the new free plugins idea, Thats intriguing but plugins for what?

United South

11 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
11 Mar 2018
Focusrite also gives new free plugins away to interface owners every month. Since you already have Reason, none of the DAW offers with interfaces are really worth much unless you intend to upgrade aside from maybe Tracktion. Studio One Artist doesn’t allow external plugins so it’s extremely limited for music making unless you upgrade to Pro or buy the AU, VST, Rewire add on on the Presonus shop. Personally I use a Focusrite interface and have zero problems with it on Mac, but some people have problems with Focusrite drivers on Windows.
Yeah I'm getting pops and clicks no matter how I adjust the sample latency sometimes. Looking to spend big on a new interface from RME but won't till I get an actual song out. Can't justify spending that much and not putting out music.

QVprod

11 Mar 2018

United South wrote:
11 Mar 2018
QVprod wrote:
11 Mar 2018
Yeah I'm getting pops and clicks no matter how I adjust the sample latency sometimes. Looking to spend big on a new interface from RME but won't till I get an actual song out. Can't justify spending that much and not putting out music.
I’m considering buying a Babyface Pro myself. My Scarlet 18i20 does well but I could benefit lower latency and higher end converters.

United South

11 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
11 Mar 2018
United South wrote:
11 Mar 2018

I’m considering buying a Babyface Pro myself. My Scarlet 18i20 does well but I could benefit lower latency and higher end converters.
I'm looking at the RME fireface UFX usb 3.0 and thunderbolt for when I upgrade to a new PC. If I was a Mac like you I would look into Apogee I've heard good things about how they make everything sound big.

demt

11 Mar 2018

Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Harmen

11 Mar 2018

but in the end the Steinberg ur22 is also very nice, drivers are good. The only thing would be headphone amp, but i never turn that to loud. Steinberg is Yamaha so they are good preamps with good SNR and converters.
I owned one. It's nice analog sound for the price.

QVprod

11 Mar 2018

United South wrote:
11 Mar 2018
QVprod wrote:
11 Mar 2018

I'm looking at the RME fireface UFX usb 3.0 and thunderbolt for when I upgrade to a new PC. If I was a Mac like you I would look into Apogee I've heard good things about how they make everything sound big.
Actually many rate RME above Apogee. Even on Mac. Given price ranges, their quality is probably pretty similar. The only real Mac benefits with Apogee are if you're a Logic user as I believe Logic has some special Apogee integration. That aside, I'm not ready to spend $1000 or more on an interface yet and because I use an older mac pro as my main machine I'm stuck with USB since firewire is pretty much dead. Main goal for me is lower latency anyway and RME is apparently king for that.

syncanonymous

12 Mar 2018

FW is not dead, bro
USB 3 has issues...that are only now starting to get smoothed out...u gonna pay fo dat

I just bought a 2nd PreSonus FireStudio mobile for 70 currency units (2nd hand on reverb.com)
StarTech 1394Bx2 Ax1 was 70 currency units
the FSM is very choosy about 1394 card chipset...thst will be an extra cost.
I have had niggles with Win10...but my daisy chained FSM pair is stable when Windows update doesn’t thro a surprise
I know u r on mac

ALL of my previous snaps, crackles and pops on laptop were from my wifi adaptor...disable wifi and crackles and pops disappear

with my new Z370 ASRock Fatal1ty 8700K build, with wifi always on with the PreSonus FSMs, there are no crackles and pops. thus, wifi card/ chipset was what was mis behaving for me on laptop for many years

if money is an issue, FW is alive and well :-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

• Information