Just got Maschine Mk3!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chimp_spanner

09 Mar 2018

I've been wondering for ages what the big fuss is with these colourful grid things all the kids are using. Turns out they're pretty damn awesome. But, I am totally new at this way of working and I'm struggling to find some clear, well articulated videos on the relationship between patterns, scenes and the arranger. Interested to hear how other Maschine users out there work. One day in and I can write some pretty cool patterns but I'm getting a headache trying to think about how to structure it into songs, how to re-use patterns and how to place things on the timeline. Any help most welcome!!

pongasoft
RE Developer

10 Mar 2018

Have you followed the tutorial included in the documentation? If my memory is good, it is pretty good and gives you a good sense of the various concepts...

Yan

Wook

10 Mar 2018

I got Push 2 and it took me a while to decide between Maschine and Push. Push got the edge because I felt the same about Maschine's pattern approach. I can record in a classic timeline view with the Push in Live. It works ok with Reason, too.

demt

10 Mar 2018

still getting over getting trigger finger pro mind blowing
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

United South

11 Mar 2018

Think of scenes as blocks where you can duplicate everything in the sequencer. For example if you wanted to expand your patterns or midi to 16 bars you could do that in scenes. Works good with loops too. I have the studio and use the transport to control Reason. The software is good just convoluted imo and nowhere near DAW specs. The learning curve is high for a drum machine/groove box imo.

chimp_spanner

11 Mar 2018

Yeah I worked through the PDF tutorial (well, got up to the point of Macros and had to stop). So I know how to duplicate or creat patterns, assign them to scenes, trigger scenes and arrange scenes on the timelines. That last part is still a bit clumsy IMO. Maybe I just need to work with it more. One thing that made no sense to me was shift+scene for “Idea” mode. It looks no different to the regular arranger view yet I somehow managed to end up with two totally separate sets of scenes. Weird.

Btw I’m just learning it all from hardware. Can’t be bothered with the software! I’m running it at the same time as reason. Reason is on my UR44, Maschine is on the MK3 audio driver. And then the two are connected by their line outs and ins. I can monitor and sample Maschine through reason, and also sample reason into Maschine for b at slicing (all in sync with Link too). So making entire songs isn’t too important. I can at least sketch out a framework, bringing elements in and out, then sample or bounce it into reason and do the real detailed work there.

Fantastic piece of kit overall though. Initial tests are basic but got some great vibes going on.

O1B

13 Mar 2018

Sensible move to treat R10 and NI separately.
That's why I love mixers, I guess. I can start/stop/reset things when i want.

Congrats on the MK3. Its a beautiful maschine.
Its a major Improvement on the MK2 - performance/idea building-wise..

Word to the wise. Dont skimp on a Decksaver.
It Pays to track how much they've saved you. It runs into the $1000s easy.

or
https://www.wildtech-shop.de/en/music/p ... struments/
chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Mar 2018

Btw I’m just learning it all from hardware. Can’t be bothered with the software! I’m running it at the same time as reason. Reason is on my UR44, Maschine is on the MK3 audio driver. And then the two are connected by their line outs and ins. I can monitor and sample Maschine through reason, and also sample reason into Maschine for b at slicing (all in sync with Link too). So making entire songs isn’t too important. I can at least sketch out a framework, bringing elements in and out, then sample or bounce it into reason and do the real detailed work there.

Fantastic piece of kit overall though. Initial tests are basic but got some great vibes going on.

United South

13 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
13 Mar 2018
Sensible move to treat R10 and NI separately.
That's why I love mixers, I guess. I can start/stop/reset things when i want.

Congrats on the MK3. Its a beautiful maschine.
Its a major Improvement on the MK2 - performance/idea building-wise..

Word to the wise. Dont skimp on a Decksaver.
It Pays to track how much they've saved you. It runs into the $1000s easy.

or
https://www.wildtech-shop.de/en/music/p ... struments/
chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Mar 2018

Good find I've been covering my Studio with a pillowcase lol.

O1B

13 Mar 2018

Pillow cases won't propect from liquid.
A device without a cover becomes obvious. And that dust and grime and get tricky. H20? COOH?

$25-$50-$100 a pop! But, fluke that. I spilled coffee right on the Deck Saver of my
Subsequent 37 CV! Arggggg! But, not a drop on the Synth. (changed my java routine since!)

They are must haves:
Korg: Volcas, Electribes, NIs: Traktor and Maschine, Elektrons, Roland: AIRA, Boutique, Pioneer: CDJs

AND, you instantly get a flat surface area added back to your workstation, if needed.
United South wrote:
13 Mar 2018

Good find I've been covering my Studio with a pillowcase lol.

• Information