Roland TR-S8 Sampler Drum Machine

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1150
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 28 Dec 2018

jayhosking wrote:
28 Dec 2018
miscend wrote:
27 Dec 2018
Still doesn’t sound like the real thing
The irony of a message like this on a Reason forum
On a Reason forum? Many Reason users are into hardware gear and a lot of them are on hybrid setups.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1150
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

O1B wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Today, the only Sound I'd want from the TR-808 is the Kick.
A couple of Good Sample recordings of the Kick at different "Tonings", and Im all set.

Do you have the real thing?
miscend wrote:
27 Dec 2018
Still doesn’t sound like the real thing
No I don’t, I use a MPC which suits my needs better. But I have built and then sold a Yocto 808 which is identical pretty much to the original.

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 564
Joined: 28 Nov 2016

Post 29 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
28 Dec 2018
jayhosking wrote:
28 Dec 2018


The irony of a message like this on a Reason forum
On a Reason forum? Many Reason users are into hardware gear and a lot of them are on hybrid setups.
Yeah, I'm one of them. The "irony" I mentioned is that a Reason user would worry about verisimilitude.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1360
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

I have the MPC Live, myself.

How about you? Live's BiG Brother? Old School? Renaissance?

Why the belly-aching about 'the real thing,' Dude? Were you hurt by a 808 in the past?
miscend wrote:
29 Dec 2018
O1B wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Today, the only Sound I'd want from the TR-808 is the Kick.
A couple of Good Sample recordings of the Kick at different "Tonings", and Im all set.

Do you have the real thing?

No I don’t, I use a MPC which suits my needs better. But I have built and then sold a Yocto 808 which is identical pretty much to the original.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1150
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

jayhosking wrote:
29 Dec 2018
miscend wrote:
28 Dec 2018

On a Reason forum? Many Reason users are into hardware gear and a lot of them are on hybrid setups.
Yeah, I'm one of them. The "irony" I mentioned is that a Reason user would worry about verisimilitude.
I don’t see it that way. You can’t really pigeonhole the userbase like that. Reason users can be as discerning as anyone else that takes their hobby or craft seriously. Buying hardware is different too from buying software, hardware has more upfront costs so you will take different things into consideration compared to picking up plugins. And the 808 is such an iconic piece of gear in drum machine history.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1150
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

O1B wrote:
29 Dec 2018
I have the MPC Live, myself.

How about you? Live's BiG Brother? Old School? Renaissance?

Why the belly-aching about 'the real thing,' Dude? Were you hurt by a 808 in the past?
miscend wrote:
29 Dec 2018

No I don’t, I use a MPC which suits my needs better. But I have built and then sold a Yocto 808 which is identical pretty much to the original.
There’s no belly ache. It just doesn’t isn’t there yet. I’d like Roland to get closer with some of their emulations. Their D50 for example is spot on IMO.

I’m rocking an MPC 1000 with mods and the latest JJOS.

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 564
Joined: 28 Nov 2016

Post 29 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
29 Dec 2018
I don’t see it that way. You can’t really pigeonhole the userbase like that. Reason users can be as discerning as anyone else that takes their hobby or craft seriously. Buying hardware is different too from buying software, hardware has more upfront costs so you will take different things into consideration compared to picking up plugins. And the 808 is such an iconic piece of gear in drum machine history.
I think we're maybe having two different conversations.

So I'll just say this: I'm not considering buying a TR-8S to be an 808 clone. There are better options. I'm considering it because it looks like a flexible drum machine with lots of effects/performance options, the ability to add samples, a line-up of pretty decent Roland drum sounds, and what is potentially a good workflow.

User avatar
O1B
Posts: 1360
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 29 Dec 2018

It just doesn’t isn’t there yet.
Where would you like the TR-8S to Go? It's a TR-8S.
I’m rocking an MPC 1000
Ole' School! I can dig it.
miscend wrote:
29 Dec 2018
There’s no belly ache. It just doesn’t isn’t there yet. I’d like Roland to get closer with some of their emulations. Their D50 for example is spot on IMO.

I’m rocking an MPC 1000 with mods and the latest JJOS.

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 564
Joined: 28 Nov 2016

Post 30 Dec 2018

I got a great deal on one of these yesterday. First impressions: sounds great, faster than Digitakt in its workflow, but still way too much menu diving and screen-staring for my tastes. To simply pan sounds, for instance, takes about five clicks and rotations. But it sure has a lot of power to manipulate the sounds and make them sound great. We'll see if the workflow gets faster over the next couple weeks (or I'll take it back).

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1150
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

O1B wrote:
29 Dec 2018
It just doesn’t isn’t there yet.
Where would you like the TR-8S to Go? It's a TR-8S.
I’m rocking an MPC 1000
Ole' School! I can dig it.
miscend wrote:
29 Dec 2018
There’s no belly ache. It just doesn’t isn’t there yet. I’d like Roland to get closer with some of their emulations. Their D50 for example is spot on IMO.

I’m rocking an MPC 1000 with mods and the latest JJOS.
Let's go by their own stated goals. The designers have said their intention is to emulate the TR-808 sound. So that's where it should go. If you look at for example when Roland did the original AIRA VST Plugouts, then moved on the Boutique range and then later on to the Roland Cloud service. With each generation they refined their ACB tech further and they said themselves that they improved the quality of the emulations. So even Roland know things can improve.
Last edited by miscend on 30 Dec 2018, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1150
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

jayhosking wrote:
29 Dec 2018

I think we're maybe having two different conversations.
No we're not. That's a cop out. You said it was ironic for a Reason user to care whether or not it was verisimilar to the original. And I said I don't see Reason users that way, some of us want our hardware clones to sound nearly identical to the originals ( like the Behringer Model D does). Behringer themselves are working on their own 808 clone :D
jayhosking wrote:
29 Dec 2018
So I'll just say this: I'm not considering buying a TR-8S to be an 808 clone. There are better options. I'm considering it because it looks like a flexible drum machine with lots of effects/performance options, the ability to add samples, a line-up of pretty decent Roland drum sounds, and what is potentially a good workflow.
Yeah from what I've seen when in a store demo the workflow and performance aspects are much improved over the older model. But personally am following developments on the Behinger 808 which promises to be nail the sound 1:1 and could be dirt cheap.

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 564
Joined: 28 Nov 2016

Post 31 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
30 Dec 2018
jayhosking wrote:
29 Dec 2018

I think we're maybe having two different conversations.
No we're not. That's a cop out. You said it was ironic for a Reason user to care whether or not it was verisimilar to the original. And I said I don't see Reason users that way, some of us want our hardware clones to sound nearly identical to the originals ( like the Behringer Model D does). Behringer themselves are working on their own 808 clone :D

Yeah from what I've seen when in a store demo the workflow and performance aspects are much improved over the older model. But personally am following developments on the Behinger 808 which promises to be nail the sound 1:1 and could be dirt cheap.
Yeah, it was a cop out of me saying I think you're being an ass. You came in to write a pithy one-liner and then followed up by arguing that the TR-8S, which is not an 808 clone and can do far more than an 808 ever could, is a poor emulation of the 808.

Reason (and Rebirth) have been ridiculed since day one for being poor clones of original hardware. Reason users like myself didn't care about that, but rather could see the benefits without getting too hung up on verisimilitude. You can do so much more with Reason than you ever could with the hardware! That was the joy of it for me, having something hardware-like without sweating how legit the individual samples or synthesis were.

I suppose it's possible to both appreciate the flexibility of Reason (or to ignore its roots) and also like super-accurate-reproduction hardware. You do you, man. But to me those things seem incompatible.

Similarly, the TR-8S has effects laid into every channel, works as an audio interface out (to provide individual tracks straight into a DAW), has a pretty rich master effects section, collects a wide variety of sounds and samples, and so on. Whether the "808" kick sounds identical to the original hardware is irrelevant to me, because it sounds similar enough and this unit is so much more than that.

So that's what I meant by "irony".

Ugh. This is way more energy than I'd like to spend on this nonsense. Have a good one, man. Enjoy those Behringer clones if they're you're thing.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Faastwalker and 0 guests