Nektar IMPACT LX25+ and Reason 10

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

02 Mar 2018

Anyone here own the Nektar Impact LX series (either the 25+, 49+, 61+, or 88+)? I just ordered the LX25+ for a secondary workstation that my kid can use, and I'm wondering about a Reasoner's experience with this line. I own the Panorama P4, but it's dated pads and keys and display really aren't a good comparison, I would imagine.

Anyone?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chk071

02 Mar 2018

The Panorama P4 should have a much better display, keyboard and pads. The Impact LX series is the budget keyboard line from Nektar, really.

Mobiler Beitrag

:reason: :rebirth:

EnochLight

02 Mar 2018

chk071 wrote:
02 Mar 2018
The Panorama P4 should have a much better display, keyboard and pads. The Impact LX series is the budget keyboard line from Nektar, really.
Thanks!

As far as pads are concerned, it doesn't. The LX25+ (as well as the entire Impact line) have a newer pad tech, as well as light up LED's underneath. I've also heard the Impact line has a better keybed, but I can't confirm.

Hoping an actual owner who uses Reason can chime in.

Anyone?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Mar 2018

EnochLight wrote:
02 Mar 2018
chk071 wrote:
02 Mar 2018
Thanks!

As far as pads are concerned, it doesn't. The LX25+ (as well as the entire Impact line) have a newer pad tech, as well as light up LED's underneath. I've also heard the Impact line has a better keybed, but I can't confirm.

Hoping an actual owner who uses Reason can chime in.

Anyone?
I did a lot of research on the Nektar product line last year and ended up getting a P4, but from my research, the LX+ keybed seemed to be ranked in between the original LX and the Panorama series. It's probably quieter than the Panorama series' rather thumpy keys because it's not as mechanically complex (and thus cheaper), but the verdict seemed to be that they tuned the simpler mechanism better than the first LX.

EnochLight

02 Mar 2018

fieldframe wrote:
02 Mar 2018
I did a lot of research on the Nektar product line last year and ended up getting a P4, but from my research, the LX+ keybed seemed to be ranked in between the original LX and the Panorama series. It's probably quieter than the Panorama series' rather thumpy keys because it's not as mechanically complex (and thus cheaper), but the verdict seemed to be that they tuned the simpler mechanism better than the first LX.
Great; thanks! This is good to know. Honestly, I paid less than $100 USD for the IMPACT LX25+, which should be more than ample for my 10 year old. Hopefully I'll get it this weekend and compare the keybed and pads side by side.

EnochLight

04 Mar 2018

Right so, I received the LX25+ today. Setup was a breeze, as is par for the course with Nektar stuff. LX25+ pads are noticeably better quality than the pads on the Panorama series (which feel like concrete blocks by comparison - they''re seriously awful), and the LX25+ keys feel slightly stiffer. I like the buttons on the transport on the LX25+ over the Panorama. The LX25+ buttons are "clicky", whereas the Panorama is soft/squishy rubber. Bleh. Knobs on the LX25+ feel stiffer/better quality than the Panorama, but they're not endless pots that spin 360 degrees - they stop.

Overall, the build quality is better than the Panorama series, which just makes me pissed that Nektar have abandoned their flagship Panorama line for the more budget stuff. If I were in the market for a new full-size controller, I'd be hard pressed to choose the Panorama these days over the (say for instance) Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 or S61, despite the excellent software/Remote integration that Nektar touts.

Taking into consideration the original Nektar Panorama P4 sold for $499, and for just $100 more you can get the Komplete Kontrol S49 that has far superior dual high-res displays, pots/knobs, and more tech on the keybed - it just seems like a no-brainer (although Reason does NOT support the NKS standard, which makes the Nektar keys still a better choice for quick support/integration).

Eh... anyway, at the end if the day - this LX25+ is for my kid, and it should get them by just fine.

QVprod

04 Mar 2018

EnochLight wrote:
04 Mar 2018
Overall, the build quality is better than the Panorama series, which just makes me pissed that Nektar have abandoned their flagship Panorama line for the more budget stuff. If I were in the market for a new full-size controller, I'd be hard pressed to choose the Panorama these days over the (say for instance) Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 or S61, despite the excellent software/Remote integration that Nektar touts.

Taking into consideration the original Nektar Panorama P4 sold for $499, and for just $100 more you can get the Komplete Kontrol S49 that has far superior dual high-res displays, pots/knobs, and more tech on the keybed - it just seems like a no-brainer (although Reason does NOT support the NKS standard, which makes the Nektar keys still a better choice for quick support/integration).
If only all the potential of the screens on the Komplete Kontrol wasn't completely wasted. It's only well integrated with the Komplete Kontrol sofware itself. DAW control is extremely basic even for the supported DAWs. Panorama still largely outclasses it as a DAW controller which is a shame since the Panorama screen is not nearly as good. Heck the Panorama even maps to Komplete Kontrol if you're a cubase user smh. Had Native Instruments opened up the possibilities with this controller beyond simply controlling their own software, I would've sold my P6 and bought one. Oh well... :roll:

• Information