External hard drive

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
djstick

01 Mar 2018

Has anyone set up Reason 10 with external hard drive. I am using a Macbook pro and would like to add a external drive and use that as my source for recoding files and sample - while using the Macbook pro just for the software reason 10.
If there is a link on how to do this it would be much appreciated.

QVprod

02 Mar 2018

There’s no tutorial needed. You just save/move your song files to the external drive. It’s that simple. Samples can be moved there as well. The only other thing is in preferences you should also change your scratch disk to the external drive which affects recordings that happen before a song is saved.

djstick

04 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
02 Mar 2018
There’s no tutorial needed. You just save/move your song files to the external drive. It’s that simple. Samples can be moved there as well. The only other thing is in preferences you should also change your scratch disk to the external drive which affects recordings that happen before a song is saved.
Thanks - what external drive would you recommend I am running a macbook bro 2015.

QVprod

04 Mar 2018

Anything firewire or thunderbolt as long as it's either a 7200rpm HDD or an SSD. SSDs are faster but cost more.

Just in case you've never used an external hard drive with a mac here's a tutorial for that setup.

EdGrip

05 Mar 2018

If you mainly went to use it for quickly loading big multisample instruments, patches and so on, an SSD might make more sense. If your use is going to be reading data often and as fast as possible.

Otherwise, if you just want storage, an HDD.
Mine's a G-Drive - they're built solid for pro use.

djstick

06 Mar 2018

I want to record on it and put all my VST sample sounds on it and let my computer not stressing. Now I am doing a few mixes with 41 tracks multiple VST and Slate audio and its all good but the buffer has to be at max the I am mixing the song - but I still get by. So now I want to use the computer just for software and all the other stuff will be on the external drive. What are your thoughts, I am on the right track.

djstick

06 Mar 2018

EdGrip wrote:
05 Mar 2018
If you mainly went to use it for quickly loading big multisample instruments, patches and so on, an SSD might make more sense. If your use is going to be reading data often and as fast as possible.

Thats what I was looking into getting G-Drive 2 TB

QVprod

06 Mar 2018

djstick wrote:
06 Mar 2018
EdGrip wrote:
05 Mar 2018

Thats what I was looking into getting G-Drive 2 TB
I have one of those as well. You can generally tell when hard drives are made for consumer use. If it doesn't tell you that it's 7200rpm or an SSD then don't get it. Also forgot about USB 3. Those are probably fine as well, though I don't have any personal experience with them.

• Information