Opinion on this computer please

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
grueser3

24 Feb 2018

Hi all. Just wondered if I could get an opinion on this computer. I didn't want to spend a lot on this because it'll be at my weekend getaway. You guys saved me from making a mistake before, thanks for that! Anyways the specs look good, the gaming thing doesn't matter but for the specs and what it costs, it seems like a no brained unless I'm missing something, plus it's from the Microsoft store so no bloat ware. Anyways I appreciate any feed back.

Mark

grueser3

24 Feb 2018

Oh and I'll be running Reason 10

grueser3

24 Feb 2018

egads I'm really losing it, here's the link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d ... chspecstab

Psuper

24 Feb 2018

Build your own mate, that's about $1000 more than you'd need to spend. Only caveat is graphics cards are silly expensive at the moment with all the cryptcoin farming, use http://gpu.userbenchmark.com to find a good deal just check it every day or so.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

grueser3

24 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Build your own mate, that's about $1000 more than you'd need to spend. Only caveat is graphics cards are silly expensive at the moment with all the cryptcoin farming, use http://gpu.userbenchmark.com to find a good deal just check it every day or so.
I hear that a lot, but seriously, how practical is it for someone that's never built one before? I mean I've watched some YouTube videos and it looks not too intimidating, but it's the picking the right components that I'd struggle with. But hey I'm open to suggestions.

Oquasec

24 Feb 2018

Tbh the most important part of a computer is prolly split into 3 parts. The Ram, CPU & storage.
Fuck the rest unless you want some mgs5 1080p action on the side.
Get the graphics cards from the direct website and stop bothering with amazon for those.

You can also stack 2 together for increased performance.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

syncanonymous

25 Feb 2018

grueser3 wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
24 Feb 2018
I hear that a lot, but seriously, how practical is it for someone that's never built one before? I mean I've watched some YouTube videos and it looks not too intimidating, but it's the picking the right components that I'd struggle with. But hey I'm open to suggestions.
yep, picking the parts is toughest part
foreseeing what software you are used to and setting up on your new machine
being patient enough to order what you are missing mid-build
I just did my first build in Jan2018. Took me about two weeks and if I started over now I could do it in a day...

I loved the building and it’s nice to know that when something goes wrong, you can find a solution.

if you really entertain the idea, get over to pcpartpicker, make an account and spec the machine you were planning to buy...thrn go from there...create other versions intil you find a solution.

good luck

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Feb 2018

grueser3 wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
24 Feb 2018
I built a computer when I was still in elementary school without any help. You can do it! :thumbs_up:

grueser3

25 Feb 2018

Thanks for the encouragement and links everyone, guess it's worth looking into. Since I just retired I'll have plenty of time.

bxbrkrz

25 Feb 2018

grueser3 wrote:
24 Feb 2018
Hi all. Just wondered if I could get an opinion on this computer. I didn't want to spend a lot on this because it'll be at my weekend getaway. You guys saved me from making a mistake before, thanks for that! Anyways the specs look good, the gaming thing doesn't matter but for the specs and what it costs, it seems like a no brained unless I'm missing something, plus it's from the Microsoft store so no bloat ware. Anyways I appreciate any feed back.

Mark
I think it is a fine PC and I don't believe you'll have any regrets. It looks fantastic, until you hear a jet engine the first time your turn it ON. Bad, if your main music tool is your PC, in your studio (an oasis), not far from your ears. You should ask around if it is a loud system. Also, judging by the picture it is a big system. Do you need a big system like this? Will it fit nicely or take over your space for no good reasons? Get the specs, start measuring and visualize how it will feel to have it in your musical oasis.

You don't need the headache you if you don't want to have one. I built my PCs, but I perfectly understand why there is a market for pre build systems. At the end of the day you want to be creative. People using Macs understand this and it is perfectly fine.

Having choices is a good thing. It is your money, have fun building a PC, or a buying one of these very quiet beasts:

You Only Live Once!
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Gorgon

25 Feb 2018

grueser3 wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Thanks for the encouragement and links everyone, guess it's worth looking into. Since I just retired I'll have plenty of time.
Building your own computer is a lot of fun. And if you just take your time you'll be fine and learn a lot in the process :)
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Psuper

25 Feb 2018

Go to pcpartpicker.com, look through builds if you don't want to pick components, however it will automatically let you know if there's any obvious incompatibilities - makes building a new pc today almost too easy. Along with a video or two you'll be rocking.

Only parts that suck are fan/heatsink really, and these days they are much easier overall - but its the only part that requires you pay attention -- most will have you install the backplate on the back of the motherboard before you install the motherboard.

Few quick tips most vids wont explain (or overexplain):

Make sure you're certain which screws to use where (offsets and motherboard screws are the main ones, triple check they're right)
Don't stress about thermal paste application, just dont get metal-based.
Memory needs a good push to make sure its fully seated in but don't force it.
CPU drops in only one way, look for the triangle on the motherboard and CPU and match them up.(don't touch any flat parts with your fingers hold it on the outside corners).
Also don't touch all over the motherboard.
You don't need "grounded" when you build, just touch your metal case once in awhile. Don't build on carpet easy to build static.
Mount the power supply in the case right after securing the motherboard, but don't connect the cables until the other components are in.
Power cables "snap" in most places and have a release catch you push if you need to take it out.
Keep your motherboard manual handy the whole time (and read most of it before installation if this is your first build).

Best advice starting out, go for mid-size in a mid or large tower so you have plenty of working space as that size is the most forgiving - just takes up a bit more space. There's too many gotchas if you try to build small for new builders (things not fitting, heat issues, etc), unless you just copy an existing vid or something. Computer builds these days are all standardized, just pick a size and roll with it -- you'll save a ton of money, get exactly what you want, and might even enjoy the process.

And feel free to msg here, I'd be glad to help.

grueser3

25 Feb 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
25 Feb 2018
grueser3 wrote:
24 Feb 2018

Mark
I think it is a fine PC and I don't believe you'll have any regrets. It looks fantastic, until you hear a jet engine the first time your turn it ON. Bad, if your main music tool is your PC, in your studio (an oasis), not far from your ears. You should ask around if it is a loud system. Also, judging by the picture it is a big system. Do you need a big system like this? Will it fit nicely or take over your space for no good reasons? Get the specs, start measuring and visualize how it will feel to have it in your musical oasis.

You don't need the headache you if you don't want to have one. I built my PCs, but I perfectly understand why there is a market for pre build systems. At the end of the day you want to be creative. People using Macs understand this and it is perfectly fine.

Having choices is a good thing. It is your money, have fun building a PC, or a buying one of these very quiet beasts:

You Only Live Once!

Well you are absolutely right, I googled the Alienware and the first hit was how loud this thing is, to the point when he tried to adjust the fans he was worried it would shorten its life. Thanks for the suggestion, it's definitely off my list. I looked at the two videos you linked and they both look good, of course it's tempting just to buy one and get it over with, but the thought of building one is really intriguing now, thanks so much for the input.

Mark

grueser3

26 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
25 Feb 2018
grueser3 wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Building your own computer is a lot of fun. And if you just take your time you'll be fine and learn a lot in the process :)
Yeah I believe you're right, never too old to learn 😉

bxbrkrz

26 Feb 2018

grueser3 wrote:
25 Feb 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
25 Feb 2018

You Only Live Once!

Well you are absolutely right, I googled the Alienware and the first hit was how loud this thing is, to the point when he tried to adjust the fans he was worried it would shorten its life. Thanks for the suggestion, it's definitely off my list. I looked at the two videos you linked and they both look good, of course it's tempting just to buy one and get it over with, but the thought of building one is really intriguing now, thanks so much for the input.

Mark
Building a PC is not that complicated, and it is fun. The main reason to build your own pc is to save on the cost of pre build machines. Your target price has to be locked down. You'll spend weeks choosing the perfect system based on what your needs are, and more weeks for that perfect looking PC case. No point making your "creature" not looking badass (and dead quiet). You'll be looking at it for years.

Sadly right now is a bad time for PC building *IF* your main goal was to save money. Because of crypto currency and the pressure of the smartphone market, some of the components are way over and beyond their original market value. So make sure you do not end up spending more time and more money, right now, doing it yourself. Of course if you go with a CPU with built in GPU solution, because you'll never play Overwatch @4K any time soon, then it's cool.

Good Luck! :ugeek:

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

grueser3

28 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
25 Feb 2018
Go to pcpartpicker.com, look through builds if you don't want to pick components, however it will automatically let you know if there's any obvious incompatibilities - makes building a new pc today almost too easy. Along with a video or two you'll be rocking.

Only parts that suck are fan/heatsink really, and these days they are much easier overall - but its the only part that requires you pay attention -- most will have you install the backplate on the back of the motherboard before you install the motherboard.

Make sure you're certain which screws to use where (offsets and motherboard screws are the main ones, triple check they're right)
CPU drops in only one way, look for the triangle on the motherboard and CPU and match them up.(don't touch any flat parts with your fingers hold it on the outside corners).
You don't need "grounded" when you build, just touch your metal case once in awhile. Don't build on carpet easy to build static.
Mount the power supply in the case right after securing the motherboard, but don't connect the cables until the other components are in.
Power cables "snap" in most places and have a release catch you push if you need to take it out.
Keep your motherboard manual handy the whole time (and read most of it before installation if this is your first build).

Best advice starting out, go for mid-size in a mid or large tower so you have plenty of working space as that size is the most forgiving - just takes up a bit more space. There's too many gotchas if you try to build small for new builders (things not fitting, heat issues, etc), unless you just copy an existing vid or something. Computer builds these days are all standardized, just pick a size and roll with it -- you'll save a ton of money, get exactly what you want, and might even enjoy the process.

Thanks tons Psuper, it means a lot to have someone to help because I'm brand new at this. I sent you a PM a few days ago, and have been reading up on stuff ever since. I just had shoulder surgery so I'll not be in a huge hurry, but I'm sure I'll have questions as I dig into this deeper.

Mark

Psuper

28 Feb 2018

grueser3 wrote:
28 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
25 Feb 2018

Thanks tons Psuper, it means a lot to have someone to help because I'm brand new at this. I sent you a PM a few days ago, and have been reading up on stuff ever since. I just had shoulder surgery so I'll not be in a huge hurry, but I'm sure I'll have questions as I dig into this deeper.

Mark
Glad to help mate, I replied to your PM earlier today.

Gorgon

28 Feb 2018

Good advice Psuper. But watch out. Some people do not take kind to good advice on this forum.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information