OP-Z May 2018 $599 [BYOS]

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

14 Feb 2018

any OP-1'ers thinking about updating?

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

I only have the PO-33 KO, but WOW! Their design approach is intuitive to me.
And the sonics are Great. Mini elektrons.
To fit 8-16 drum kits in calculator space with a seq, sync, tempo, fx, is amazing.
I can only imagine the palette when added to the OP-Z.

I prefer the OP-1's buitl-in screen but i carry an iPad anyway....
The Quote below is Why I dont want to OP-1, though I admire it... that tape:
The company says it’s smaller, but more powerful than their earlier OP-1:

it’s about half the size of OP-1, but comes with more dsp power that consumes less energy so now you can fly the atlantic 4 times back and forth, sequencing complete songs on 16 dedicated tracks before you run out of power.
I did read that the synth is stand-alone, and glow-in-the-dark, but-
I didn't realize that every button is 'back-lit' ... and what're those 4 screws?
if it don't have tape, it's no OP.

Psuper

14 Feb 2018

I found a video, I don't know what I'm looking at lol

/signed confused.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

O1B

14 Feb 2018

ahh... the four screws are knobs... ahh..
I hear you on being lost on this thing. No clue, myself. (why i must learn)
- I think the old one was 4 tracks vs 16 tracks of your choosing - quantization, etc.
- If you Have a PO, there are 16 'Sounds' in 16 'Patterns.. thereabouts
- The OP-Z has 16 Tracks... per program - I'm guessing - with synths, drums, and shots.
- with the added screen (iPad), audio, video, etc are now possible.

after that, ... specs at the bottom of :https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z
But, depending on the iOS layout, the OP-Z and an iPad could do wonders in the creative stages.
16 tracks, elektron-esque 'step handling', and, they'd weigh next to nothing.

my gear for that is the electribe, the OP-Z seems much more convenient for the way I work.
Electribes are better live, but tedious to 'build' with.. I want the other way around for a while.

the Pocket Operators are very inspiring...
Speak (PO-35) coming, and Sampler(33). most immediate samplers I have.

here's an updated video: teenageengineeringtesting out a new effect... recording poor..
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be79Nk3AgGD/
Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018
I found a video, I don't know what I'm looking at lol
/signed confused.

joeyluck

14 Feb 2018

Seems interesting. I get that it does graphics stuff as well, but if I have to be hooked up to an external display to see what I'm doing anytime I'm making some music, might prefer to instead work directly on my laptop or an iPad. But I guess there is much more to see. Still looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it. The unity 3D integration sounds pretty cool. And by the looks of it, you might be able to hook up little gadgets to the knobs like with the OP-1. And that's a fun idea too.

bxbrkrz

14 Feb 2018

O1B wrote:
14 Feb 2018
any OP-1'ers thinking about updating?

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

I only have the PO-33 KO, but WOW! Their design approach is intuitive to me.
And the sonics are Great. Mini elektrons.
To fit 8-16 drum kits in calculator space with a seq, sync, tempo, fx, is amazing.
I can only imagine the palette when added to the OP-Z.

I prefer the OP-1's buitl-in screen but i carry an iPad anyway....
The Quote below is Why I dont want to OP-1, though I admire it... that tape:
The company says it’s smaller, but more powerful than their earlier OP-1:

it’s about half the size of OP-1, but comes with more dsp power that consumes less energy so now you can fly the atlantic 4 times back and forth, sequencing complete songs on 16 dedicated tracks before you run out of power.
I did read that the synth is stand-alone, and glow-in-the-dark, but-
I didn't realize that every button is 'back-lit' ... and what're those 4 screws?
if it don't have tape, it's no OP.
I did not know I wanted one, but now I do. The sequencer part is, as described and if well implemented, is a lethal weapon.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

fieldframe
RE Developer

14 Feb 2018

It's a truly unique instrument, no doubt, and I like that it's more focused on sequencing than the OP-1. Not sure if I'm going to want to spend the cost of a new iPad on it, but I'm looking forward to seeing more videos in the coming months.

lowpryo

14 Feb 2018

the decision to get rid of the screen was bad, IMO. even if it's "more powerful", it looks and probably feels like an inferior device because of that alone. seems like more of an art piece or something.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2018

$599 for THAT?

I'd rather get a analog synth with that kind of money.

Why is it so overpriced?

Psuper

14 Feb 2018

aeox wrote:
14 Feb 2018
$599 for THAT?

Why is it so overpriced?
Frankly I'm still not sure what it is :lol:
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Faastwalker

14 Feb 2018

Always interested in the Teenage Engineering stuff. Very out there. Kind of like the Nintendo of music technology. I like the look of the OP-1 & OP-Z. But for the prices it's a big ask to seriously consider a purchase. The OP-Z has been in the pipeline for a couple of years now. So it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Very interesting, coffee table music tech with Moog pricing & a Nintendo peripheral look. I love it ........ apart from the Moog pricing bit.

joeyluck

14 Feb 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Always interested in the Teenage Engineering stuff. Very out there. Kind of like the Nintendo of music technology. I like the look of the OP-1 & OP-Z. But for the prices it's a big ask to seriously consider a purchase. The OP-Z has been in the pipeline for a couple of years now. So it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Very interesting, coffee table music tech with Moog pricing & a Nintendo peripheral look. I love it ........ apart from the Moog pricing bit.
Well now that Korg Gadget will be on the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Labo is launching in April (which looks pretty cool) maybe that would be more your fancy? Kind of makes me wish I had a Nintendo Switch

Faastwalker

15 Feb 2018

joeyluck wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Well now that Korg Gadget will be on the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Labo is launching in April (which looks pretty cool) maybe that would be more your fancy?
I'm not a game console person these days - the last one I bought was the Playstation 1. Gadget on iPad looks pretty cool though. I'm definitely a fan of the OP-Z. I think it looks extremely interesting. But if it's $599 US ........ We're probably talking close to $1000 Aus! That's a big ask for this, as interesting as it looks.

O1B

15 Feb 2018

If you have a Pocket Op, and I think you said you did, you should know the screen is virtually useless.
It's [SHIFT] plus the lights on the buttons that tell you what you're doing, pretty much.

Time? nothing to do with music. Tempo? useful, but the TR-808 doesn't have one.
Anything else? Seems like the ears will do the trick!

Hard to believe I know, but the Backlit -and markings on the buttons - is all that's necessary on a PO.
Now imagine a 10 point touch screen added to the workflow? And visuals?

In the video, the dude says it has the engines of the OP-1 and workflow of the POs.
joeyluck wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Seems interesting. I get that it does graphics stuff as well, but if I have to be hooked up to an external display to see what I'm doing anytime I'm making some music, might prefer to instead work directly on my laptop or an iPad. But I guess there is much more to see. Still looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it. The unity 3D integration sounds pretty cool. And by the looks of it, you might be able to hook up little gadgets to the knobs like with the OP-1. And that's a fun idea too.

O1B

15 Feb 2018

So you want an analog synth then... how many voices? 1, duo, 4, 8, 12, 16?
for $600 ? which Analog Synth do you own? are we talking mono-SYNTH?

There are plenty of synth threads, dude.

This machine is on about music production.
aeox wrote:
14 Feb 2018
$599 for THAT?

Why is it so overpriced?

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2018

O1B wrote:
15 Feb 2018
So you want an analog synth then... how many voices? 1, duo, 4, 8, 12, 16?
for $600 ? which Analog Synth do you own? are we talking mono-SYNTH?

There are plenty of synth threads, dude.

This machine is on about music production.
aeox wrote:
14 Feb 2018
$599 for THAT?

Why is it so overpriced?
It's all music production isn't it? I'm just curious why it's so overpriced, is all.

You know.. for 600 I'd probably just get a Minilogue or Deepmind 6 but I'm holding out for a "flagship" for later on in my career.

Sure, it's not right to compare the two. They are much different. I just don't see the value in that device that warrants that kind of price tag!

joeyluck

15 Feb 2018

Yes, it's certainly easier for many folks when looking at hardware to go, "Oh it's digital? My computer and an iPad are digital...why can't this be on that?" And when it comes to hardware, there can sometimes be more an appeal for those folks for something analog, that offers something unique to what they feel could be on their computer.

I have several pocket operators. I like them. They're fun. They were much cheaper and certainly easier for me to justify buying.

O1B

17 Feb 2018

I would be up the creek with my Elektron gear - if I never tried to POs. Thank God!
I get the TR-808, but was stuck with the paradigm of 1 sound per track, static settings, etc.

Volcas and Boutiques - though small - are hardly "handheld." POs and the NEW OP-Z are!
(The Electribe 2.0 makes a better lap synth than V and Bz)

But, the POs.... are HandHeld... comfortable - careful! of the open arch., and versatile/capable.

The Speak and KO cover all the old - and new features, but - Im hoping the OP-Z incorporates all PO algos.
NEW features : microphone, micro tonic VST drums access, sample memory,

If not, each one may be worth 'playing' around with.
12 Rhythm (DRUMS)
14 Sub (BASS) No sharps or flats ?! Just Key of C:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... I-dsGqHoQM
Notes to self:
16 Factory (Factory) Sold OUT/Popular
20 Arcade (ARCADE), 24 Office (OFFICE), 28 ROBOT (ROBOT), 32 Tonic (mTonic DRUMS)
33 K.O! (Sampler/Drums) Sold OUT/Popular
35 Speak (Vocode) Transposable

joeyluck wrote:
15 Feb 2018
Yes, it's certainly easier for many folks when looking at hardware to go, "Oh it's digital? My computer and an iPad are digital...why can't this be on that?" And when it comes to hardware, there can sometimes be more an appeal for those folks for something analog, that offers something unique to what they feel could be on their computer.

I have several pocket operators. I like them. They're fun. They were much cheaper and certainly easier for me to justify buying.

O1B

15 Oct 2018

LOL. Reading some of these comments cracks me up.
$599 for that?? yeah...? the OP-1 was such a .... wait a minute...
it was a success!! At TWICE the Price... OOOOPS!!!
"'I'd rather get an Analog Synth with that kind of money" :roll: $600. :D
"Why is it overpriced?" Enjoy Thor. It's a Great Synth. Aeox. :lol:

Anyways. I cancelled my order, but now Ive come to my senses.
They are expecting a new batch by the first week in November.

FYI.

.... cuckoos...

aeox wrote:
14 Feb 2018
$599 for THAT?

Why is it so overpriced?

tt_lab

15 Oct 2018

I'm saving to get one of these. Just the video sequencing capabilities are mindblowing.

O1B

15 Oct 2018

DAMNN DAMNN DAMNNN!!! I thought I'd get a Price CUT!! Doh!
Oh well... the OP-1 is STILL on my list for Christmas.

But, the Quantize feature of the OP-Z - Quantize_OFF and Dry/Wet 0-100% ...
Genius.
Loving my DrumBrute IMPACT for the QuantizeOFF feature.

But the OP-Z is a Great Update to the Electribe 2.0 as a Roadie.
- Video of Cuckoos when he first ORDERED the OP-1 - 7 years AGO!

joeyluck wrote:
15 Oct 2018
O1B wrote:
15 Oct 2018
$599 for that??
And the price of the 7 year-old OP-1 was hiked up $100, now $999!

joeyluck

15 Oct 2018

O1B wrote:
15 Oct 2018
DAMNN DAMNN DAMNNN!!! I thought I'd get a Price CUT!! Doh!
Oh well... the OP-1 is STILL on my list for Christmas.
Yeah it's pretty clear they wanted to create more space in price between the OP-Z and OP-1 while still keeping the OP-Z relatively high.

Faastwalker

15 Oct 2018

tt_lab wrote:
15 Oct 2018
I'm saving to get one of these. Just the video sequencing capabilities are mindblowing.
I'm interested to see more of this aspect of the device. I love the idea of BYOS (Bring Your Own Screen). It keeps the cost down & I believe the OP-Z thing is quite usable & accessible without a display. But cool to add your own screen to see more and / or explore the video aspects. Very interesting. I'm as intrigued as ever by the Teenage Engineering devices. Very cool. They are like the Nintendo of Music Technology hardware. Not afraid to do things very differently.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2018

O1B wrote:
15 Oct 2018
LOL. Reading some of these comments cracks me up.
$599 for that?? yeah...? the OP-1 was such a .... wait a minute...
it was a success!! At TWICE the Price... OOOOPS!!!
"'I'd rather get an Analog Synth with that kind of money" :roll: $600. :D
"Why is it overpriced?" Enjoy Thor. It's a Great Synth. Aeox. :lol:

Anyways. I cancelled my order, but now Ive come to my senses.
They are expecting a new batch by the first week in November.

FYI.

.... cuckoos...

aeox wrote:
14 Feb 2018
$599 for THAT?

Why is it so overpriced?

You've got to understand, sometimes poor people just like to complain about stuff they can't afford. I'm one of those people.

O1B

16 Oct 2018

I hear you, AEOX. And, I believe, you're a Good Dude.

FYI..
1. "You've got to understand, sometimes poor people "
I understand. I am from the Dirt. You were born 1st world, as they say. I was born 3rd World.
I went from that to :

I understand.

2. "poor people just like to complain about stuff they can't afford."
Yes. I understand. I do - DID - the same... in my mind.. when I was 16. It EATS at you.
It Blocks you from making Good choices. It makes you Envious, Jealous, Covet.... you know.
The 7 Deadlies.

Then, you'll be cheap. You'll choose cheap. You'll disregard Quality. You'll despise it, even.

3. " I'm one of those people." (that "like(s) to complain" )
I know. If you venture out of the Rack Extensions forum, you're pretty much on a one track mission.

"It's too Expensive." "I can do that with Thor." "Who would buy that?" etc....
How about: Keeping that to yourself, Read for the content, Comment on Relevant 'things' outside of $$$$.

Just a suggestion.
...and, if you don't mind... what would be your Dream Hardware?
NOT the most expensive. but dont consider $$$.
Im interested.

Be well, AEOX.
Sincerely,
O1B
aeox wrote:
16 Oct 2018
You've got to understand, sometimes poor people just like to complain about stuff they can't afford. I'm one of those people.

• Information