Switching DAWs

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chk071

07 Feb 2018

Unless it's a known issue that Reason stops working after Windows 10 updates (i don't think so), you should consider the possibility that there's a problem on your end. Maybe try to fix that first, before thinking about switching DAW's. This is the first time i read about something like that, so, it's most likely that your system or software configuration has to do with it.

Which version of Reason are you using anyway?
:reason: :rebirth:

JRJulius

10 Feb 2018

This might be unpopular, but have you considered switching operating systems? I spent years dealing with Windows updates, dealing with hardware incompatibilities (ASIO has a volatile relationship with some WiFi radios), and dealing with selective USB compatibility. Windows 7 and 8 weren’t exactly nightmares but I had my rituals worked out — plug in, reboot, High Power mode, Airplane mode, plug in audio interface, turn on MIDI controller, re-enable WiFi, launch DAW, repeat if the computer went to sleep...

Macs have poor price:power ratios but comparatively few compatibility surprises. Propellerheads usually confirms compatibility within a day or two of major OS updates and larger companies such as Ableton usually confirm compatibility in advance. It’s also generally easier to delay updates; Microsoft has always been forceful but seem to have kicked it into overdrive with W10.

Don’t get me wrong, updates pose a risk on any OS and MacOS is far from perfect. But I’ve been using a Mac since 2014 and have never been unable to use my DAW due to compatibility issues. Might be something to consider — I don’t know that you’ll find quick customer service from any of the major DAW developers.

wishMachine

10 Feb 2018

JRJulius wrote:
10 Feb 2018
Microsoft has always been forceful but seem to have kicked it into overdrive with W10.

Don’t get me wrong, updates pose a risk on any OS and MacOS is far from perfect. But I’ve been using a Mac since 2014 and have never been unable to use my DAW due to compatibility issues.
Been using a Mac since 2011 for exactly the same reasons! ASIO works out of the box, I don't have to spend an age trying to find drivers. Then uninstalling them because something else broke. I'll be the first to admit this machine is starting show it's age with Reason 10, there's various settings I've had to pull back on to keep it sweet. Maybe if I didn't keep overloading projects with new clever devices and ideas it would struggle so much but that's the way it is.
:reason: 10 :record: :refill: :ignition: :re:

• Information