Behringer Neutron

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

29 Jan 2018

This looks pretty cool. Although, with how long it's been since the Model D was announced, who knows when this will see the light of day.

O1B

29 Jan 2018

FYI,
Announced Summer '17, Shipping (to Europe) now, and USA in March (17th).

Patience. Behringer is coming.

joeyluck wrote:
29 Jan 2018
This looks pretty cool. Although, with how long it's been since the Model D was announced, who knows when this will see the light of day.

fieldframe
RE Developer

01 Feb 2018

This looks really cool, and will probably be a rather incredible deal when the price is announced. The one thing I don't like at first glance, though, is that they gave a bigger knob to LFO shape and left filter cutoff with the regular, small knob. Did the panel designers really think we need more precision selecting the LFO shape than the filter cutoff?

Heater

07 Feb 2018

So confirmed $299 (April). This thing is going to fly off the shelves. I'm very tempted.

fieldframe
RE Developer

07 Feb 2018

I was expecting $499. This just went from "nice to have" to "when can I preorder."

I realize now that the reason the LFO shape gets a bigger knob is because it morphs between the LFO shapes. While I'd still like a bigger cutoff knob, this at least makes sense.

Faastwalker

07 Feb 2018

Very impressive how Behringer are able to sell this kind of thing for such a low price. But I guess that's what they've always done. They've often had a reputation as a 'cheap & cheerful' brand, which is maybe a little unfair. They've put out some great stuff & some crap stuff. But you could say the same about most music tech companies. In any case the Neutron looks very cool. I'm not to wild about the red color. but if it sounds good, at this price it's a tempting device. Kind of like a more feature packed Moog Mother 32 at half the price!

O1B

07 Feb 2018

Behringer D is in stock at Musician's Friend. ~346 in stock thereabouts.
15% off means it costs $255 delivered. Great Deal. (Damn I want 2!)
FYI.

Im Interested in this Neutron. NAMM is killing me.

joeyluck

08 Feb 2018

Heater wrote:
07 Feb 2018
So confirmed $299 (April). This thing is going to fly off the shelves. I'm very tempted.
Wow. Impressive price and launch date. They must've figured something out with their production or unlike the Behringer D, kept this one a good secret for a good while.

Here is Ben (DivKid) talking about the Neutron and showing it (but not hooked up to showcase audio)

Faastwalker

02 Mar 2018

Another demo video here;

Unbelievable for the price.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2018

Sheesh, that's a steal!

Side note: Kind of looks like the Dreadbox designs

O1B

03 Mar 2018

How so?

1. Dreadbox uses Switches vs buttons

2. Dreadbox uses faders extensively (last 4) ...
Murmux, Nyx, Abyss, Medusa. Neutron has none.

3. Dreadbox's look stunning. Even Medusa...

The Neutron ... not so much...
aeox wrote:
02 Mar 2018
Last edited by O1B on 03 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
03 Mar 2018
How so?

1. Dreadbox uses Switches vs buttons

2. Dreadbox uses faders extensively (last 4) ...
Murmux, Nyx, Abyss, Medusa. Neurron has none.

3. Dreadbox's look stunning. Even Medusa...

The Neutron ... not so much...
aeox wrote:
02 Mar 2018
Similar artistic design I mean. You don't see it? Am I the only one who sees the similarities?

O1B

03 Mar 2018

I guess....

aeox wrote:
03 Mar 2018

Similar artistic design I mean. You don't see it? Am I the only one who sees the similarities?

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
03 Mar 2018
I guess....

aeox wrote:
03 Mar 2018

I don't think the Neutron looks that bad, if that's what you're saying.

O1B

03 Mar 2018

hahaha ! no! I think I'm getting it, in fact.
(Behringer is getting too much attention - and, $$ - these days)

It's the monotonous row of buttons. it's almost depressing.

it just doesn't have M-32 whip appeal. (dont have one)

But, Ill live with the Dual OSC. ...sides.. I'll can learn to like her. We're adults.
An octave of keys to run my fingers over would've been nice.
aeox wrote:
03 Mar 2018
O1B wrote:
03 Mar 2018
I guess....
I don't think the Neutron looks that bad, if that's what you're saying.

Faastwalker

22 Mar 2018

Apparently the Neutron is expected to sell for under $500 here in Aus. From what I've seen so far for that price I'm DEFINITELY getting one, even though I'm not keen on the colour or the graphics on the front panel. At that price I can live with it for this thing. Just hope Behringer can keep up with demand. Expect this will shift a sizable number of units very quickly.

teddymcw

27 Mar 2018

Anyone with a link or even brief explanation of how I can expect this to work with Reason?

I'd be brand new to hardware synths and hooking them into the setup I already have, which basically entails a Mac and a Scarlett interface.

Any additional info about:
-quality of sound conversion and quality from hardware to DAW?
-would it just record into Reason as an audio file?
-can any values be captured by Reason from Neutron such as CV values somehow?
Yes we can get some data from audio track if that's the only end source available.
Other than that I imagine I'd have to sync to hard values like 1/8 notes to have this sync a groove w Reason
-and presuming these types of things can hook right into a keyboard and monitors?
edit: looking at Model D connection manual, looks like one has to hook into audio interface via 1/4" before converting into any monitors

Many thanks for any help

O1B

27 Mar 2018

Manual:

pp 11.
- Midi channel selection
- MAIN OUTPUT - connect these 1⁄4” TRS outputs to the inputs of your external equipment as follows (note that they are both Mono, and not left/right):
LOW - this instrument-level mono output can connect to the instrument-level inputs of guitar amplifiers or mixers for example.
HIGH - this line-level mono output can connect to the line-level inputs of mixers, keyboard amplifiers, or powered speakers for example.

p 13.
- Special Modes (Miulti-Trigger, NOTE Priority, Poly Chain)
The A-440 switch can be used to set the MODEL D into various modes of operation. This is done by turning the A-440 switch on and off a certain number of times within the first 5 seconds of turning on power to the MODEL D. The number of times determines the mode, as shown in the table below. The Power LED will show the current value by flashing fast or slow a number of times, as shown in the table below.

p 15-25 Calibration Settings
p 16, 32*. Euroracking (+12)
p 26-69 System Connection.... Audio is NOT over USB, like AIRA.

Not much more... 'cept, you'll be blown away!

D, for sure. Neutron, Im positive.
teddymcw wrote:
27 Mar 2018
Anyone with a link or even brief explanation of how I can expect this to work with Reason?

I'd be brand new to hardware synths and hooking them into the setup I already have, which basically entails a Mac and a Scarlett interface.

Yes we can get some data from audio track if that's the only end source available.
Other than that I imagine I'd have to sync to hard values like 1/8 notes to have this sync a groove w Reason
-and presuming these types of things can hook right into a keyboard and monitors?
edit: looking at Model D connection manual, looks like one has to hook into audio interface via 1/4" before converting into any monitors

Many thanks for any help
Last edited by O1B on 28 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

27 Mar 2018

Come to think of it, is there any official "Waiting Lists" for this thing?

I only see it in the UK (Juno), but at $39 shipping. Hoping to beat that.
Now that I see it closer, it's the consummate Rack Utility:
- Dual OSC, with SYNC
- Dual ADSRs with CV OUT :mrgreen: .. doesn't replace MATHS, but...
- LFOs
- Sample and Hold...

thats a good $1000 in modules already. :thumbs_up:

... see for yourselves...

Faastwalker

27 Mar 2018

Anyone with a link or even brief explanation of how I can expect this to work with Reason? I'd be brand new to hardware synths and hooking them into the setup I already have, which basically entails a Mac and a Scarlett interface.

teddymcw wrote:
27 Mar 2018
Should be fine with the Focusrite Scarlett Interface. I use a Focusrite Sapphire myself. It's spot on.
Yes. Just hook up the Neutron to an audio input on your interface, create an audio track & set the input & hit record.
With the right device. Certainly. But it's going to need something like an Expert Sleepers ES-8 (for example). I think the Neutron with Reason & an ES-8 would be frigging awesome actually ;)
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html
It has a MIDI input. So you could hook up a MIDI keyboard that way to trigger it. Or from the MIDI output on your interface, so you can control / trigger from Reason. Although this will be limited to effectively gate / note trigger. For monitor output you can hook up the audio output on the Neutron to your audio interface & monitor directly. I tend to route through Reason & monitor the audio track so I'm ready to record if I want.

teddymcw

28 Mar 2018

O1B wrote:
27 Mar 2018
Come to think of it, is there any official "Waiting Lists" for this thing?
Haven't seen any online after poking around for a few hours. People said they existed on forums but I haven't come across any myself, so confused on that one.

Thanks for the reply, been browsing the Behringer manuals and think I have a grasp between those and answers here. I'm sure there's a lot more like me looking at this new, multi-faceted and affordable piece of hardware.

teddymcw

28 Mar 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Mar 2018

Thanks a million for these thorough answers! ES-8 looks just right, already getting pricey, but gotta shell fair price for proper gear.

It has a MIDI input. So you could hook up a MIDI keyboard that way to trigger it. Or from the MIDI output on your interface, so you can control / trigger from Reason. Although this will be limited to effectively gate / note trigger.
This is very interesting bc I don't naturally understand the precise signal path of how MIDI is converted to getting sound out of the hardware but I hope to fully grasp (and hear) it soon.

This piece of equipment looks interesting. I'm a bit worried it could be the 'gateway drug' to buying and spending time playing with more hardware. Yet, it could really be a catalyst to a better understanding of synthesis and thus a catalyst for creating better and even more great music. Not to mention, ya fun to play with for hours :D .

O1B

28 Mar 2018

Yes, yes, and hopefully YES!
ES--8. Yes. It's Audio or CV 8 in 4 out OR, with ADAT, 8 more ins/outs.
This is my "first" modular setup so Im as new to it as you.

Yes, it and other modules are Pricey.. But, I'd rather have a
$500 - 8 in/4 out Audio/CV interface than a $8-900 Audio ONLY interface, for now.

Yes, it's a gateway Drug, so plan smart. Plan to get out. And, come up with a plan.
My rackbrute 6U just arrived yesterday, and my first module (to arrive) comes tomorrow: the Mordax Data. It's a great looking CV analysis tool. But it also generates CV/Clock/Pitch/etc.

My Plan:
Create a Modular system that allows me to 'see, link, and clock' between software, hardware, and modular. For that, I need USB, MIDI, and CV. The next one is Tempi.
Six simultaneous user-controllable tempo each with TAP. 64 Presets. Experimentation. This ain't yo' mama's METRONOME.

88HP worth of modules per Row for 176 HP total.
I hope to have 50-60HP of empty space.
Distortion/Filter/Gate Modules, Clocking Modules, CV Reader/DIsplay,
CV Converter/Generato, FX Modules , Modules for Articulation,

....hopefully.. ADSRs, LFOs, OSCs, Inverters, Attenuators, S&H, MIDI Gate, etc...
will ALL come from the Behringer NEUTRON - the 1/2 price Mother 32.

When I started to Reason, I didn't expect I'd ever use HW. Then, I got a [MICRO]brute, and guitar pedals, and Traktor gear. Likewise, I never thought I'd go Eurorack. But, the strength of modular makes it unavoidable for me, and Arturia makes it real easy.

*** Be aware of YARNS by Mutable Instruments... MIDI (I/O!) and 4 CV with triggers.
Now, that's a whole 'nother awesome clock. IT also has a SH-01 type STEP-SEQ on board.
But, it can't replace ES-8 CV(in/out) - nor can it replace tempi (TAP/tempo modes)
......first world problems.....
teddymcw wrote:
28 Mar 2018

Thanks a million for these thorough answers! ES-8 looks just right, already getting pricey, but gotta shell fair price for proper gear.

This piece of equipment looks interesting. I'm a bit worried it could be the 'gateway drug' to buying and spending time playing with more hardware. Yet, it could really be a catalyst to a better understanding of synthesis and thus a catalyst for creating better and even more great music. Not to mention, ya fun to play with for hours :D .
Last edited by O1B on 28 Mar 2018, edited 2 times in total.

• Information