Apple USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Audio Interface to iPad Pro actually connects...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
stratatonic

10 Jan 2018

I took my Zoom H4n into Apple Store to see if this connector would work with the iPad Pro, because I read this line on Apple website:

Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD and more.https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/M ... r?fnode=97

And yes, it did connect. The music guru at Apple was surprised as well. (The Zoom H4n is not natively iPad compatible - I had unsuccessfully tried with an iPad 4 a while back, getting some "not enough power" message with the older Connector).

So I spent 55 bucksCAD including taxes and plugged into my iPad Pro10.5** and it worked and I recorded some stuff onto the iPad.
And then another time, it didn't connect. And then another time it did. And then it didn't. :roll:

So I took back this inconsistent (and, frankly, expensive little connector and bought a case instead [not from Apple...]).

But, it does work. And maybe anyone thinking of spending money on an iPad specific audio interface could give this a try, as it is cheaper than buying a new interface.

You may get more consistent results with your interface than I did - which could have been a Zoom issue.

**btw, I ain't rich, but got an insane deal at a pawnshop around Christmas time getting a iPadPro with 256gB and Cellular for roughly the same price as a base current model iPad :)

QVprod

11 Jan 2018

You'd be surprised. Quite a few interfaces work with IOS even though they're not advertised to do so. Provided you can supply power to them. I needed a more portable (than a laptop) solution for playing keyboard at small intimate gigs. I was considering buying a Korg PlugKey ($100) and decided instead to buy a Lightning to USB Camera adapter ($17) that also includes a charging port and try it out with my Novation Audio Hub. Just came in to day and needless to say it works! The Audio hub is also a usb hub when plugged into an outlet so I can supply power to my Nektar P6 as well as charge the phone via the built in usb hub while using Sampletank or any other IOS app with the Audio Hub outputting the audio. And the best part? I'm only need a single power cable to run it all!

normen

11 Jan 2018

I already recorded 32 channels of audio from a Behringer X32 to my iPad :) Yeah, it supports all „class compliant“ UAB audio devices, i.e. those that don‘t need special drivers on OSX or Windows. „Only“ up to 48 channels though ;)

stratatonic

12 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
11 Jan 2018
You'd be surprised. Quite a few interfaces work with IOS even though they're not advertised to do so. Provided you can supply power to them. I needed a more portable (than a laptop) solution for playing keyboard at small intimate gigs. I was considering buying a Korg PlugKey ($100) and decided instead to buy a Lightning to USB Camera adapter ($17) that also includes a charging port and try it out with my Novation Audio Hub. Just came in to day and needless to say it works! The Audio hub is also a usb hub when plugged into an outlet so I can supply power to my Nektar P6 as well as charge the phone via the built in usb hub while using Sampletank or any other IOS app with the Audio Hub outputting the audio. And the best part? I'm only need a single power cable to run it all!

The music guy at the Apple store was genuinely surprised that a USB interface actually worked with the iPad. Maybe Apple keeps employees in the dark so they can push the 1000 dollar Apogee units they sell... :lol:

Where did you buy the adapter for $17 ?

Sounds like you're set up nicely now. Now Apple just needs to release Mainstage for iOS...

stratatonic

12 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
11 Jan 2018
I already recorded 32 channels of audio from a Behringer X32 to my iPad :) Yeah, it supports all „class compliant“ UAB audio devices, i.e. those that don‘t need special drivers on OSX or Windows. „Only“ up to 48 channels though ;)
Well, from what I understand the Zoom H4n is class compliant and has it's own power supply, but it never worked with my iPad 4. :puf_unhappy:

Did you record 32 tracks onto a regular iPad or the Pro? :o That's amazing

normen

12 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
12 Jan 2018
The Pro 9.7

stratatonic

12 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
12 Jan 2018
stratatonic wrote:
12 Jan 2018
The Pro 9.7
That would be perfect for recording a live show and dumping the tracks later onto computer. Or did you work within the iPad?

What app were you using to record?

normen

12 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
12 Jan 2018
That would be perfect for recording a live show and dumping the tracks later onto computer. Or did you work within the iPad?
What app were you using to record?
Yeah, I used Auria and later loaded the files via iTunes/USB.

QVprod

12 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
12 Jan 2018

The music guy at the Apple store was genuinely surprised that a USB interface actually worked with the iPad. Maybe Apple keeps employees in the dark so they can push the 1000 dollar Apogee units they sell... :lol:

Sounds like you're set up nicely now. Now Apple just needs to release Mainstage for iOS...
Perhaps. I had a few job interviews for Apple store, didn't get hired but they didn't really care much about technical knowledge. Not even for their more technical positions (which is what I had applied for :lol: ) I bought the adapter off Amazon. Here's the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V ... UTF8&psc=1

The day Apple releases Mainstage for iOS I'll probably actually buy an iPad.

normen

12 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
12 Jan 2018
....or even just make the visual surface you created in MainStage available on the iPad instead of the Mixer....

QVprod

12 Jan 2018

normen wrote:
12 Jan 2018
QVprod wrote:
12 Jan 2018
....or even just make the visual surface you created in MainStage available on the iPad instead of the Mixer....
Nah, If I have to bring a laptop anyway, I might as well just use the laptop screen. The Panorama shows the patch names anyway (and smart controls parameters when I need them), I don't really need much else.

stratatonic

22 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
12 Jan 2018
stratatonic wrote:
12 Jan 2018

Perhaps. I had a few job interviews for Apple store, didn't get hired but they didn't really care much about technical knowledge. Not even for their more technical positions (which is what I had applied for :lol: ) I bought the adapter off Amazon. Here's the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V ... UTF8&psc=1

Good price on the adapter. Let us know how it holds up over time. I have bought some non-Apple cables in the past that work at first, and somehow decide not to cooperate anymore with pop-ups saying incompatible. :puf_unhappy: How the hell can the device know that's it's not a genuine overpriced Apple cable/adapter? Maybe there is a certain resistance figure it's looking for...

normen

23 Jan 2018

QVprod wrote:
12 Jan 2018

Nah, If I have to bring a laptop anyway, I might as well just use the laptop screen. The Panorama shows the patch names anyway (and smart controls parameters when I need them), I don't really need much else.
Yah, much easier to use the iPad on a mic stand than going to the back of the stage to the MacBook on that rack :) ..unless you‘re the drummer of course ;)

QVprod

23 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
22 Jan 2018

Good price on the adapter. Let us know how it holds up over time. I have bought some non-Apple cables in the past that work at first, and somehow decide not to cooperate anymore with pop-ups saying incompatible. :puf_unhappy: How the hell can the device know that's it's not a genuine overpriced Apple cable/adapter? Maybe there is a certain resistance figure it's looking for...
I'll keep you updated. Haven't needed it yet but will soon.
normen wrote:
23 Jan 2018
QVprod wrote:
12 Jan 2018

Yah, much easier to use the iPad on a mic stand than going to the back of the stage to the MacBook on that rack :) ..unless you‘re the drummer of course ;)
That's the thing. There's no rack. Laptop usually ends up on a stand or stool/chair next to me anyway and I can close it if a choose to. The stages I play aren't that big yet to bother using a rack. Don't really need to drop a few hundred on what's essentially gonna just be a screen when the P6 already does that. Setting up a laptop for performing is enough of a slight annoyance as is. Adding another piece of gear plus deal with wifi/ad-hoc networks = not worth it. Hence the desire to use my iPhone for the smaller gigs where I'm only playing 2 patches.

• Information