Input advice please on Saffire Pro 14

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Sedan Love

07 Jan 2018

I have also asked this over at KVR.

Hello.

I have a Saffire Pro 14 that I purchased a while ago because of it's Loopback function.
It also has:
2 Mic/line/inst inputs
2 1/4" TRS jack inputs
1 S/PDIF RCA input.
I have:
Bass Station 2 (mono)
Roland JV 1080 (stereo)
Alesis SR16 Drum Machine (stereo)
M-Audio Black Box (S/PDIF out)

I also have Reason 7 and will probably upgrade to 10 (so no need for Loopback to play vst's)

I am just a hobbyist and much of this was bought on sale (or in the case of the JV - Ebay) etc and I don't really want to buy a new interface - but I'm one channel short. It makes sense to use the Black Box S/PDIF into the S/PDIF input on the Saffire.
So I'm thinking that I may get a cheap mixer and place the JV 1080 and the Bass Station on that. But I've never even handled let alone used a mixer before. Any other/better suggestions?
If I went for a new interface I'd probably go firewire still and plump for a Behringer FCA 1616 which has plenty of inputs. But it's $250 I could spend on something else or keep!
I am moving soon and my retirement looms - most of this is all boxed up so I am in no rush.
Any suggestions and advice welcome.
Thanks.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

11 Jan 2018

What about upgrading to a bigger device in the Saffire lineup? I use the Pro40 which is more than enough for my needs, and they're going for less than $200 on Ebay.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

QVprod

11 Jan 2018

The easiest solution is to upgrade your interface to one that has all the inputs you need. But a cheap mixer will work if you don’t need to record the 1080 and bass station at the same time. If you know how to use Reason , you know how to use a mixer

Sedan Love

13 Jan 2018

Thank You both.

Yeah - I keep going back and forth with this. I like the Focusrite stuff and have looked at the 40. I should have plumped for that in the first place. I'll have a look on ebay. Cheers.

• Information