What do you use for backup? CrashPlan Home is shutting down...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

06 Jan 2018

Having had my workstation stolen many years ago (and losing irreplaceable samples that I'll never forgive myself for not backing up), I've long been a proponent of redundant backups for all of my data (local and cloud based). I've been using CrashPlan (Home) for at least 8 years, and love the service. It's saved me a few times when a local mechanical drive failed and I didn't even realize it.

Now that CrashPlan Home is shutting down, I've been scrambling to find a replacement. I know I should have done this sooner, since we were notified almost a year ago of its impending shut down, but with 2 months remaining I'm in a bind. I have almost 8 TB of data that needs to be backed up over the cloud, so I've been putting it off simply because I know I'm going to exceed my monthly data cap with my ISP when I upload all of this all over again. Well, that and... TIME.

What do you guys do for backup? Am I the only one that has a metric shit ton of data that needs to be backed up?

I considered Carbonite, but right now I'm trying BlackBlaze - as it seems to be the fastest of all the options out there as far as cloud-based is concerned. It started off pretty slow - which scared the hell out of me, but after running for about 18 hours, it seems to have picked up speed to something I can certainly work with. If the upload speed hovers around the 22.37 Mbps-range, I'll be uploading a full Terabyte every 4 days or so. That means I can backup my entire 8 TB of data in a little over month - I can work with that. CrashPlan shuts down in 2 months, and the only reason I didn't stick with them and migrate to their Small Business plan is that they will only allow you to migrate 5 TB, plus I no longer trust them - simply put.

I remember when I first started using CrashPlan back in the day, and it took me almost 3 months just to upload 2 TB!

Anyway, when I first started uploading with BlackBlaze, it was pretty slow:

blackblaze.JPG
blackblaze.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 3586 times

..but this morning, after letting it run all night, HOLY CRAP:

blackblaze_2.JPG
blackblaze_2.JPG (120.21 KiB) Viewed 3586 times

..and Windows seems to agree pretty closely:

Ethernet upload.JPG
Ethernet upload.JPG (356.66 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

06 Jan 2018

I build the PC and load the OS, install the core OS stuff, update then clone the drive.

Then install/save everything that will be backed up on a 2nd drive, followed with the occasional but consistent backup on an external drive in an enclosure (4TB at the moment), copy it to a 2nd backup, and put the copy in a fire-safe (best to have off-site, however).

I don't trust cloud backups, I won't have any backup site with my creations or information.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

EnochLight

06 Jan 2018

Psuper wrote:
06 Jan 2018
I build the PC and load the OS, install the core OS stuff, update then clone the drive.

Then install/save everything that will be backed up on a 2nd drive, followed with the occasional but consistent backup on an external drive in an enclosure (4TB at the moment), copy it to a 2nd backup, and put the copy in a fire-safe (best to have off-site, however).

I don't trust cloud backups, I won't have any backup site with my creations or information.
That's way too convoluted for me. I need instant and "in-the-background" backing up at all times, and after the theft I experienced, secure cloud backup seems to be the best option, IMHO. Both CrashPlan and BlackBlaze are encrypted, so I'm not worried about someone stealing my wares.

If I only had a little bit of data, I might consider your approach, though. But with 8TB of data and growing every month, it's just not feasible for me unless I were to build a large NAS (but then this introduces an object that can once again be stolen in a break-in). :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

06 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Jan 2018
Psuper wrote:
06 Jan 2018

That's way too convoluted for me. I need instant and "in-the-background" backing up at all times, and after the theft I experienced, secure cloud backup seems to be the best option, IMHO. Both CrashPlan and BlackBlaze are encrypted, so I'm not worried about someone stealing my wares.

If I only had a little bit of data, I might consider your approach, though. But with 8TB of data and growing every month, it's just not feasible for me unless I were to build a large NAS (but then this introduces an object that can once again be stolen in a break-in). :(
What the hell do you back up? I've been backing my stuff up for 20 years from every photo, screenshot, music, videos spanning when I digitized all my old VHS tapes in the early 90s to recent videos off our cameras, converted audio tapes, old programs, new programs, all my business stuff, websites and content I've produced, and I have 6 'current' computers currently utilized in my house, 4 of which are always being used, on and on -- and I have about 2 TB of backups.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

EnochLight

07 Jan 2018

Psuper wrote:
06 Jan 2018
What the hell do you back up? I've been backing my stuff up for 20 years from every photo, screenshot, music, videos spanning when I digitized all my old VHS tapes in the early 90s to recent videos off our cameras, converted audio tapes, old programs, new programs, all my business stuff, websites and content I've produced, and I have 6 'current' computers currently utilized in my house, 4 of which are always being used, on and on -- and I have about 2 TB of backups.
My video collection is the largest portion of my data - about 6.2 TB alone. I have a ton of HD camcorder footage of my kids, and then our personal movie collection is the rest. I don't like housing physical media, so I ripped all of our Bluray and DVD's to be used in a Plex media server - which is freak'n awesome, BTW. Some of the Bluray rips can be as large as 40 GB for one film, and this is mostly 1080p stuff. Migrating to 4K will make things even worse.

The rest is photos, random data, and of course - audio (Reason project files, sample libraries, etc).

splangie

07 Jan 2018

I use Carbonite so I have an external copy of the most important stuff, Windows backup to a local NAS server configured with RAID1 drives and the workstation data drives are mirrored as well. At bit much for some, but it hasn't let me down yet.

EnochLight

07 Jan 2018

splangie wrote:
07 Jan 2018
I use Carbonite so I have an external copy of the most important stuff, Windows backup to a local NAS server configured with RAID1 drives and the workstation data drives are mirrored as well. At bit much for some, but it hasn't let me down yet.
That's not a bad idea, actually... I might just use BlackBlaze for all my data, except my video drive (since that's the majority of my data at 6.2 TB)... and instead use my 8TB external SATA drive just to backup my video drive.

It won't be offsite in the cloud, but it will solve killing my data cap for the time being until I can figure something else out. Hmmm...

Thanks!

EdGrip

20 Jan 2018

Our line speed isn't fast enough to entertain cloud-based backup.
I just periodically backup my various media onto a 3TB G-Drive, which lives in a drawer next to my bed so I can grab it if there's a fire.

(It may sound obvious, but if you have photos that are favourites, or are important, get prints!)

EnochLight

20 Jan 2018

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Just saw this. Thought maybe you would get a kick out of it :)
youtube.com/watch?v=KLQNNqav7o8
Hahah! I've never sat and watched Portlandia for any extended period of time, but from what I've seen it's awesome. Are they still using Washed Out's Feel It All Around for the theme? On a related note, I love Kumail Nanjiani's character "Dinesh" in Silicon Valley - that guy is hilarious. He's been on a few episodes of The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick.
EdGrip wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Our line speed isn't fast enough to entertain cloud-based backup.
I just periodically backup my various media onto a 3TB G-Drive, which lives in a drawer next to my bed so I can grab it if there's a fire.

(It may sound obvious, but if you have photos that are favourites, or are important, get prints!)
I can upload at about 25 Mbps, which would take several weeks to a month to get all 6.2 TB of my video data to upload, but the speed and time isn't my issue. This is:

:(

IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg (339.89 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

IMG_0748.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg (143.28 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

joeyluck

20 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jan 2018
joeyluck wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Just saw this. Thought maybe you would get a kick out of it :)
youtube.com/watch?v=KLQNNqav7o8
Hahah! I've never sat and watched Portlandia for any extended period of time, but from what I've seen it's awesome. Are they still using Washed Out's Feel It All Around for the theme? On a related note, I love Kumail Nanjiani's character "Dinesh" in Silicon Valley - that guy is hilarious. He's been on a few episodes of The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick.
I think would think so. I watch on Netflix, so I'm always a season or more behind. And yeah, Kumail Nanjiani is awesome.

Data_Shrine

22 Jan 2018

I use an external hard drive. Although it's not a very safe method - I've had one crash on me and lost all the stuff that was on it. It was about the same time my laptop was stolen, a few years back. =/

EnochLight

22 Jan 2018

I found out that for $50 more a month, I can get unlimited data from my ISP. I might pay the premium for a month and try and get my 6+TB video drive backed up in the cloud after all. Even if I have to do it for 2 months and drop $100 on the procedure, at least my stuff will be backed up off-site and encrypted, which is really all I want.

lakinlakin

22 Jan 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
22 Jan 2018
I use an external hard drive. Although it's not a very safe method - I've had one crash on me and lost all the stuff that was on it. It was about the same time my laptop was stolen, a few years back. =/
I use two external drives, one OS the other files. Used to keep the drives away from my PC, but I'm too lazy to bother these days.

Anyhow, anything is better than no backup. Two days ago I went and deleted a folder on my drive using xplorer2's 'trash' feature. Lost all my Reason user files. Thankfully I had a fairly recent backup and only lost a few songs.

Lessons = backup files regularly, be more careful

jayhosking

22 Jan 2018

I've long been a Dropbox user, which has been great for most work and creative things. I love the realtime nature of cloud-based storage, and then there's no effort on my part to make a back-up.

For larger work files, though, I use traditional hard drive backups. If I were in your situation, I would probably put the non-media things in the cloud and the rest on a drive. How often does one have to have access to their copy of the Goonies?

stratatonic

22 Jan 2018

You can buy 6TB drives to back up for under 200 dollars.

Google Drive has 10TB storage for $100 a month - $1200 a year or $12 000 a decade. I know you have lots of money to burn, but this is just silly.

EnochLight

23 Jan 2018

I’ve already got an external 8TB drive that I’m using to backup just my video (which is already approaching 6.5 TB). BlackBlaze is just $5/month and gets you unlimited data to backup - a much better deal than both Google Drive and DropBox, IMHO.

• Information