New Laptops, What To Buy Jan 2018

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
syncanonymous

31 Dec 2017

I need to buy at least 2 new laptops asap...maybe 3...not necessarily to run Reason...I definitely need to buy a mid spec machine this week.

I realize Coffee Lake actually hitting the shelves in a couple months makes buying now kind of a bad time. I wonder what y'all think about your laptop choices and wish lists. I am thinking more about general brand experience than specific models.

We been doin a lot of research the past week or so, and seems HP and Lenovo are leading the pack. As much as I do not care for HP due to bad past experiences (mainly with peripherals), the ZBook looks rather promising. HP seems to have a solution for every requirement including more variety in port configuration than all the others. I don't have any faith in Dell at all, beyond monitors. Also, I find this MS Surface copycat of mac shenanigans completely pathetic :roll:

Anyhow, I appreciate any input.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

toadmanxtro

31 Dec 2017

syncanonymous wrote:I need to buy at least 2 new laptops asap...maybe 3...not necessarily to run Reason...I definitely need to buy a mid spec machine this week.

I realize Coffee Lake actually hitting the shelves in a couple months makes buying now kind of a bad time. I wonder what y'all think about your laptop choices and wish lists. I am thinking more about general brand experience than specific models.

We been doin a lot of research the past week or so, and seems HP and Lenovo are leading the pack. As much as I do not care for HP due to bad past experiences (mainly with peripherals), the ZBook looks rather promising. HP seems to have a solution for every requirement including more variety in port configuration than all the others. I don't have any faith in Dell at all, beyond monitors. Also, I find this MS Surface copycat of mac shenanigans completely pathetic :roll:

Anyhow, I appreciate any input.
When I was looking 4 a laptop a few years back I did my due diligence and subscribed to Consumer Reports for a month to tackle this very dilemma. They reported that all the pcs were basically in the same range - some a little better in one department and some a hair better in other departments but certainly no stand outs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

syncanonymous

01 Jan 2018

toadmanxtro wrote:
31 Dec 2017
When I was looking 4 a laptop a few years back I did my due diligence and subscribed to Consumer Reports for a month to tackle this very dilemma. They reported that all the pcs were basically in the same range - some a little better in one department and some a hair better in other departments but certainly no stand outs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Hmmm...I am amidst my duedil now
Offerings are far and wide....maybe mobos and CPUs are extremely similar, including cooling
But configs of disk drives and port configs and RAM soldered or unsoldered...and dedicated GPU? Keyboard quality? It is all over the place...as is reliability or build quality control

What did you choose after your duedil?

One thing is for sure, I am wrong about Coffee Lake...8th Gen CPUs are all over the place! They are typically supplied highly throttled.

Back to the duedil

HP still leading the way at the mo...We are likely pulling the trigger on a HP Envy 17 inch to start...and/or ZBook
I might hafta change my mind about Dell...the gaming builds are looking like a good possibility...

4filegate

01 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
01 Jan 2018
...the gaming builds are looking like a good possibility...
Heat is the most original element on earth. It's pure physics that more energy will generate more heat. Cooling is therefore a knotty task to tackle with.
FWIW, I have gone with MSI GAMING LAPTOPS, at the time. The performance of the MSI GT72 is powerful and has an excellent cooling system.

Enthusiasts might be now pack 32GB of high-frequency quad-channel 4,000MHz DDR4 alongside Intel’s Core i9™ processors, for up to 36 threads of processing power and massive memory bandwidth, in Mini-ITX small-form-factor PCs. RT-users Kategra and Psuper share their results in Reason General/Reason 9.5 & above CPU Stress Tests (2017, two different songfiles included)

SODIMM DDR4 4x8GB 4,000MHz designed for laptop and notebook PCs sets a new standard for DDR4 SODIMM performance. Just perfect for 3D rendering, Graphical tasks, content creation, large scientific calculation and other professional applications. It’s the conclusive workstation for these tasks. It will be compatible with latest Intel XMP2.0 quad-channel X99 motherboard systems.

syncanonymous

02 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
01 Jan 2018
syncanonymous wrote:
01 Jan 2018
...the gaming builds are looking like a good possibility...
Heat is the most original element on earth. It's pure physics that more energy will generate more heat. Cooling is therefore a knotty task to tackle with.
FWIW, I have gone with MSI GAMING LAPTOPS, at the time. The performance of the MSI GT72 is powerful and has an excellent cooling system.

Enthusiasts might be now pack 32GB of high-frequency quad-channel 4,000MHz DDR4 alongside Intel’s Core i9™ processors, for up to 36 threads of processing power and massive memory bandwidth, in Mini-ITX small-form-factor PCs. RT-users Kategra and Psuper share their results in Reason General/Reason 9.5 & above CPU Stress Tests (2017, two different songfiles included)

SODIMM DDR4 4x8GB 4,000MHz designed for laptop and notebook PCs sets a new standard for DDR4 SODIMM performance. Just perfect for 3D rendering, Graphical tasks, content creation, large scientific calculation and other professional applications. It’s the conclusive workstation for these tasks. It will be compatible with latest Intel XMP2.0 quad-channel X99 motherboard systems.
Noted and great advice.

I been watching these MobileTechReview reviews:

This video shows that MSI is fully considering what appeals to "prosumers":
easy access for maintenance and up/downgrades
cooling as a point of emphasis

We are still have HP at the top for replacing my mother in law's latest VAIO fatality and which needs to happen fast (delivery with 48hrs to the remote countryside). For sub 800 currency units, the HP have a DVD writer, 3 xUSB 3 or 3.1, USB-C, 8th gen quad core CPU, respectable amount of DDR4 RAM, acceptable screens. Build quality of especially keyboard and ability to access CPU/fans, RAM & drives is a big negative and HP is notorious for keeping users out. I got no love for them, but HP are trying to deliver legacy hardware connections and devices. An Envy, Pavillion and ProBook all deliver at sub 1k...great laptops? Uh...I ain't sure...HP has a big presence on the EU market and readily avail.

I am incorrect about my statements regarding Coffee Lake non-launch as many vendors are moving 8th gen Intel machines, HP included. I was cross referencing the big vendors' laptop CPU offerings with the CPU Benchmark site last night and the fastest CPU I found in a laptop was custom config (came to about £2500.00) of a Dell Precision: choice of Xeon E3-1505 v5 2.8GHz coming in at 8,973. Looking a little deeper just now, I find a $4000.00 MSI Titan with an i7-6920HQ @ 2.9GHz, a 9,602 benchmark...which isn't that far beyond the Precision.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT80S-Titan- ... B01974IDWQ

Well, we are gonna order an HP machine before the afternoon is out... :|

4filegate

02 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
02 Jan 2018
Noted and great advice.
Buddy ist waiting on 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor, too. If you can wait a little bit longer (maximum 4/5 months), then I think there will be new notebook-models with HEXA-Core CPU`s and quad-channel ram-support.

syncanonymous

02 Jan 2018

I am buying this first laptop for my mother in law, her old old VAIO hinges are about to break off of the chassis. I think that particular VAIO shipped without the larger hinge screws and after 4 years the chassis top is literally broken in half. She needs something now. This purchase will help inform purchasing other machines. We really need to upgrade. I am using a 2011 i3 that has a lot of life left, but power is low andmy missus is using a 2009 13” VAIO running vista which is holding up really well.

My missus and I were unable to buy from either the HP or Lenovo online shops today. We tried multiple cards, paypal...no joy...Nobody picks up the phone at HP France online shop. We spent about 5 hrs just to checkout online and were unsuccessful :|

I did discover that 8th Gen Intel KabyR or Coffee Lake is not currently available in France. 7th gen in France are more expensive than in other territories. So, I am (sadly) right about the non-launch of Coffee Lake in some territories. The local shops are so out of touch...I mean, we are out in the countryside.

I been planning to go Xeon v2 since Oct for Reason, but I might wait until late May because I will be travelling and working on property renovations in the UK from mid Feb until Apr/May. Possible DDR4 prices will drop by then too.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

4filegate

03 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
02 Jan 2018
My missus and I were unable to buy from either the HP or Lenovo online shops today.
We've got Shopping Apps on portable devices or web browser-based to Compare Prices. In this way, shoppers can compare each retailer's price, service solutions and shipping conditions at checkout. Official Manufacturer Online Shop mostly isn't suitable. That's why you need to figure out what your needs are, to make the right call.

syncanonymous

03 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
03 Jan 2018
We've got Shopping Apps on portable devices or web browser-based to Compare Prices. In this way, shoppers can compare each retailer's price, service solutions and shipping conditions at checkout. Official Manufacturer Online Shop mostly isn't suitable. That's why you need to figure out what your needs are, to make the right call.
Well, woke up this mornin and the power was out. Supply line problem after last night’s tempest. We took the opportunity to drive to “the city” (Le Mans) to see what is on the shelves. It is all pretty bad, France is at least 2 years behind cutting edge. The most expensive laptop I saw was 1500euros. Lucky to find 5th gen intel or anything with 8GB RAM!?! It is shameful for France.

“figure out what I want”?!?
how is that possible? travel to USA? A showroom is required but it don’t exist. The situation is buy to try; our system is broken :thumbs_down:
We been watching YT reviews to get an idea.

well, there is a silver lining from driving into Le Mans today:. Lenovo IdeaPad keyboard is extremely solid which I, personally, equate to higher quality. Maybe ThinkPad is similar build? Sure looks like it online. We were leaning HP, but they are soooo flimsy and sales comms were laughably inept; no thanks. I know Lenovo QC is hit and miss, but the quality is so much higher than the competition. We gonna order Lenovo Thinkpad 570 from UK vendor to deliver to UK and 8th Gen Intel is available at reasonable prices.

For me running Reason, it is time to order Dual Xeon 2680 v2 later this week :-) That said, I see i9 tower selling in UK for just over £2k...hmmmm :-)

4filegate

04 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
03 Jan 2018
our system is broken
Our Broken System

A few years ago I went to a shop [tele]communication-store in Cherbourg for the Internet to Everywhere USB-stick (using technology similar to what your cellphone 3G uses). Oh zut! They burst into a loud laugh when I said Quinéville /Cotentin. I sat down in les Gougins and saw a road sign RAVENOVILLE PLAGE.

syncanonymous

04 Jan 2018

Who burst into a loud laugh? People in a shop?

I would ask for explanation in Francaise, but english is the language ReasonTalk asks us to use....and my written French is awful

4filegate

04 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
04 Jan 2018
sales assistants (Vendeur/Vendeuse dans la vente de Boutique SFR) in case of a bad Internet connection.

rightnow I realized what the road sign has meant ~ Prixmoinscher et Acheter-moins-cher (include) delivery services of products to their place of use.

syncanonymous

04 Jan 2018

Well we just bought a Lenovo ThinkPad E580 from Lenovo Online Shop (configged online; paid over the phone :-)
these are fairly configurable, we chose:
-Intel Core i7-8550U (8th gen)
-Win10 Pro
-8GB DDR4 (single stick, 2 RAM slots on this)
-512GB M.2
-backlit keyboard (previously unavailable on ThinkPads afaiaa)
-warranty (I usually don't buy warranties, £42.00 seems acceptable for lifetime accidental damage)
Optical drives are gone, tho, so we got a Lenovo external DVD writer, an easy compromise for the CPU upgrade and backlit keyboard.
Also MS Office (£80 one time payment option)
With Educational discount was £1155.00
cannot be delivered to France, sent to UK address.

This machine probably won't ever see Reason on it, tho
That's one down :D
My Mrs is very likely going MS Surface Book 2 TB Intel Core i7-8650U which is £2700.00 with Ed Discount. She is sold on the screen painting functions and users clamoring about the great typing. We'll see...I am not so sure..

syncanonymous

04 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
04 Jan 2018
syncanonymous wrote:
04 Jan 2018
sales assistants (Vendeur/Vendeuse dans la vente de Boutique SFR) in case of a bad Internet connection.

rightnow I realized what the road sign has meant ~ Prixmoinscher et Acheter-moins-cher (include) delivery services of products to their place of use.
meaning the best way in France to buy computers is get products delivered to you...I reckon :|
yep, buy to try...this is no way to function...system failure :?

4filegate

04 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
04 Jan 2018
yep, buy to try...this is no way to function...system failure :?
:problem: concept of black box systems "The only conceivable way of unveiling a black box, is to play with it"

Gorgon

04 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
02 Jan 2018
Buddy ist waiting on 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor, too. If you can wait a little bit longer (maximum 4/5 months), then I think there will be new notebook-models with HEXA-Core CPU`s and quad-channel ram-support.
At which point another generation CPU will be around the corner, so if you could then again wait a little longer, you might get a new laptop in 2038.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

4filegate

04 Jan 2018

Gorgon wrote:
04 Jan 2018
4filegate wrote:
02 Jan 2018
At which point another generation CPU will be around the corner, so if you could then again wait a little longer, you might get a new laptop in 2038.
While all recent Core i7 processors had 4 cores and 8 threads, the next-gen chips will include 6 cores and 12 threads. :idea:

Gorgon

04 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
04 Jan 2018
While all recent Core i7 processors had 4 cores and 8 threads, the next-gen chips will include 6 cores and 12 threads. :idea:
Yes, and possibly, future CPU's will feature even more cores with even more threads. In the meantime, you wait for months without a decent computer.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

syncanonymous

04 Jan 2018

Gorgon wrote:
04 Jan 2018
4filegate wrote:
04 Jan 2018
Yes, and possibly, future CPU's will feature even more cores with even more threads. In the meantime, you wait for months without a decent computer.
Gorgon,
funds was the issue for me before xmas. Now funds are much less of a problem. If not here, then where else to talk about this? I am just looking for some others' views. I know you love ASUS mobos. I am now looking for my new Reason build to start immediately. I just was comparing i9 to high end XEONs...looks like there isn't much in it for dual XEON (2687W v4) vrs single i9 (7900x). Some constructive advice would be welcome :-)

EdGrip

05 Jan 2018

I prefer a 17" laptop too - plus they're usually a bit better spec'd for drive bays and connections because there's more room (and a numerical keypad!)

But they're a comparatively rare thing, so I do wonder if it's better to just accept a 15" screen and see if that opens up laptops that are generally better.

All my computers (at least, after a couple of Olivettis back in the DOS Shell era) have been Dells and they've all been indestructible. (Not a deliberate choice - it's just they're what you find in dumpsters after mass office upgrades.) Just adding my Dell experience!

Gorgon

05 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
04 Jan 2018
Gorgon,
funds was the issue for me before xmas. Now funds are much less of a problem. If not here, then where else to talk about this? I am just looking for some others' views. I know you love ASUS mobos. I am now looking for my new Reason build to start immediately. I just was comparing i9 to high end XEONs...looks like there isn't much in it for dual XEON (2687W v4) vrs single i9 (7900x). Some constructive advice would be welcome :-)
Personally I would definitely go for the i9-7900x. The other option is dual cpu, which means a lot more heat inside your system. The i9 is meaner and leaner (and also has a higher CPU mark value). If you get a good board to go with it (hint hint Asus) you could upgrade the CPU even further a year or so from now without having to change anything else in your system. You sell your "old" CPU and buy a new one which is even faster. That's definitely the route I would take.

*edit* I'm assuming we're talking a regular PC and not a laptop here.

syncanonymous

05 Jan 2018

EdGrip wrote:
05 Jan 2018
I prefer a 17" laptop too - plus they're usually a bit better spec'd for drive bays and connections because there's more room (and a numerical keypad!)

But they're a comparatively rare thing, so I do wonder if it's better to just accept a 15" screen and see if that opens up laptops that are generally better.

All my computers (at least, after a couple of Olivettis back in the DOS Shell era) have been Dells and they've all been indestructible. (Not a deliberate choice - it's just they're what you find in dumpsters after mass office upgrades.) Just adding my Dell experience!
thanks, Ed :-)
Last edited by syncanonymous on 05 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

syncanonymous

05 Jan 2018

Gorgon wrote:
05 Jan 2018
Personally I would definitely go for the i9-7900x. The other option is dual cpu, which means a lot more heat inside your system. The i9 is meaner and leaner (and also has a higher CPU mark value). If you get a good board to go with it (hint hint Asus) you could upgrade the CPU even further a year or so from now without having to change anything else in your system. You sell your "old" CPU and buy a new one which is even faster. That's definitely the route I would take.

*edit* I'm assuming we're talking a regular PC and not a laptop here.
I gonna price them up over the weekend. Yes, tower case...the CPUs I mentioned aren’t laptop form factor. You bring up a good point about heat. DDR4 prices are still what they are, too...which I kinda spaced out. I think you can sell on your old Xeon parts...but maybe they aren’t as well known to the market. Typically, I don’t do much selling once I buy something...maybe it’s time to turn over a new leaf.

Thanks for the advice.

4filegate

05 Jan 2018

we are trusted in coffee-ground reader skills http://www.eurocom.com/ec/specs(429)SkyX9C

syncanonymous

06 Jan 2018

4filegate wrote:
05 Jan 2018
we are trusted in coffee-ground reader skills http://www.eurocom.com/ec/specs(429)SkyX9C
Hallelujah! Now, THAT’S what I’m talkin’ ‘bout!
I gotta dig into that site!

Thanks, filegate :D :thumbs_up:

• Information