Audio Interface - General

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
splangie

30 Dec 2017

I have not picked out an audio interface yet but still leaning towards the Tascam US 20x20. My question is regarding the main out from the Reason mix. Can the main out run back through the USB 3 to the Tascam (or any similarly equipped interface) and then from there out the s/pdif? Or do I have to use a digital or analog out from the pc sound card? Now I am just running to the digital out on a Realtek sound card. But I would like to eliminate that all together and never have to worry about any Realtek associated driver issues, etc...

syncanonymous

31 Dec 2017

Hi Splangie
I am not sure you understand your question.
Reason is not multiclient afaiaa. That means it uses one soundcard at a time. When you get your new soundcard, you will want to set Reason to use your new soundcard and no longer use your computer's less capable internal soundcard.

Why do you need spdif out? Do you have digital monitors or other digital equipment you want to feed audio through?

From what I understand about the Tascam 20x20, you should have a lot of routing flexibility, with many ins and outs. Spend some reading the Reason manual about the audio card input/output section.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

splangie

31 Dec 2017

syncanonymous wrote:
31 Dec 2017
Hi Splangie
I am not sure you understand your question.
Reason is not multiclient afaiaa. That means it uses one soundcard at a time. When you get your new soundcard, you will want to set Reason to use your new soundcard and no longer use your computer's less capable internal soundcard.

Why do you need spdif out? Do you have digital monitors or other digital equipment you want to feed audio through?

From what I understand about the Tascam 20x20, you should have a lot of routing flexibility, with many ins and outs. Spend some reading the Reason manual about the audio card input/output section.
Ok, here is the question again in a way maybe it can be better understood with a couple points.

1. I don't want to use a sound card in the pc for anything.
2. Right now I am running the main outs from Reason to the spdif out on the Realtek sound card which runs to an external amp for monitoring.

When I add the audio interface, like the Tascam 20x20, I would like to know if the mix out from Reason runs back through the same USB port the audio interface would be using for input. And is that normally the path for monitoring the mix from a DAW when using a USB interface in order to bypass the PC sound card.

Regarding "Why do you need spdif out?", I don't want to monitor the mix through the sound card. Since I am not using an audio interface yet for input, I am running the mix to the spifs outs and then to an external amp for monitoring. That way I don't have to use the sound cards DA converters. But like I said, I want to eliminate the Realtek card completely. Basically I am just wondering about the mix out path once I add the audio interface and if it goes back to the audio interface to be monitored.

ScornDefeat

01 Jan 2018

splangie wrote:
31 Dec 2017
When I add the audio interface, like the Tascam 20x20, I would like to know if the mix out from Reason runs back through the same USB port the audio interface would be using for input. And is that normally the path for monitoring the mix from a DAW when using a USB interface in order to bypass the PC sound card.
Yes, the audio signal will go from Reason to the Tascam via the USB and then out of which ever outputs you have your monitors connected to. The Tascam should show up as a sound device on your computer along side your current Realtek sound card, which you should be able to disable without issue.

splangie

01 Jan 2018

ScornDefeat wrote:
01 Jan 2018
splangie wrote:
31 Dec 2017
Yes, the audio signal will go from Reason to the Tascam via the USB and then out of which ever outputs you have your monitors connected to. The Tascam should show up as a sound device on your computer along side your current Realtek sound card, which you should be able to disable without issue.
Wonderful. Thank you very much for the info.

• Information