Best 2017 iMac for a Reason 10

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
grizelda

26 Dec 2017

Hi to all and merry Christmas if you celebrate it or happy holidays if you don't :mrgreen:

I am upgrading from my 2011 iMac 27.5 i7 quad core 16gb ram and 1TB hdd.

I am going to get 2017 iMac but due to $$$ I am unsure what spec to get. ideally I would like get top spec 27.5 with 512gb ssd in it and then upgrade ram from 8gb to 32gb, but I also want a new phone and I can't really do both of I go this way.

my question is just about which iMac you guy think will run best with reason. currently I get pops and crackles, slow down glitches on certain projects that a reasonable amount of plug ins/REs.

is it more about ssd and big enough ram than the processor? I see reason 10 sys req is just intel dual core processor..

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch

edit: What I would like for my upgrade is to be able to run more plug ins and RE than currently

thank you for any input and answers

grizel

QVprod

26 Dec 2017

All the Hard drives for these iMac models are the same speed. Processor speed is most important in running REs/plugins. There was also already a very recent thread on this that may answer your questions. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7504718

michael.jaye

26 Dec 2017

I thought Mac OS was no good for Reason? That’s why I just bought a Windows machine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QVprod

26 Dec 2017

michael.jaye wrote:
26 Dec 2017
I thought Mac OS was no good for Reason? That’s why I just bought a Windows machine...

Some people have issues with retina displays (on ElCapitan I think) that's solvable by changing a setting. The Propellerheads themselves use Macs.

teddymcw

26 Dec 2017

QVprod wrote:
26 Dec 2017
michael.jaye wrote:
26 Dec 2017

Some people have issues with retina displays (on ElCapitan I think) that's solvable by changing a setting. The Propellerheads themselves use Macs.
There's also been some issues with speed from updating to the latest OS soon after it's released but eventually props makes the patch. Lesson is to just wait until one is certain their beloved software is compatible with their new OS.

This is so funny bc the OP's old computer is almost identical to the one I've just upgraded myself to and I've got wings now, oh boy! :D

dmcghee

03 Jan 2018

This is my iMac that I purchase last summer.
2017 Model. It is a special configuration iMac from the Apple Factory, special order only not carried in stock at the Apple Store.
It took two weeks before the FedEx truck rolled up
In front of my house.

I have no issues running Rack Extensions or VST Plug-ins.

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display Z0TR
Configuration:

4.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
64GB 2400MHz DDR4 SDRAM - 4x16GB

512GB Flash Storage

Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory

Apple Magic Mouse 2

Apple Magic Keyboard (English) / User's Guide (English)

• Information