high cpu until I change audio devices

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ahuimanu

19 Dec 2017

I have a new motherboard - Rampage VI Extreme (X299). Unfortunately, it is short on USB 2.0 ports. I am using the one USB 2.0 header on the board for the Corsair H115i AIO cooler for the CPU. With this new build, using version 1709, Reason 10 starts at nearly full CPU on all cores, until I change the audio driver source to and from ASIO. My Balance didn't like the USB 3.0 ports so I just moved to a Scarlett 212 2nd Gen and it works. However, when I first have the ASIO driver selected, the CPU goes into extreme overdrive and stays that way unless I change to a different driver mode and move back.

Has anyone experienced Reason 10 using the CPU to a very high level at start? It doesn't eventually "go away" until I make some manual change on my end.

Does this makes sense?

RandyEspoda

19 Dec 2017

My first guess would be a fluke caused by a driver error.
To rule out anything other than soundcard issues, if you can, try another soundcard,
perhaps the onboard SC on ASIO settings and see if it's the same.

Do you have the latest audio drivers for your current audio device installed ?
If not, do so, if so try downloading/installing a previous version to see if it makes a difference ?
Perhaps just reinstalling the device all together ?

Also poke around in the sound card settings, latency settings, and so forth...

ahuimanu

29 Jan 2018

Thanks,

I did a back and forth with Propellerhead with a support ticket. They have no advice for me.

ahuimanu

02 Jun 2018

Okay, months later and it was Propellerheads' advice to users regarding a Max OSX issue that gave me the clue that ultimately solved my issue: https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en-us ... ra-10-13-4

Basically, I turned off the "Use hyper-threading audio rendering" option and suddenly my X299-based Intel i9-7980xe behaves in Reason. I had installed Reaper to make sure it wasn't an incompatibility with my Focusrite 2i2 and Reaper ran fine. I had to check this because there can be issues with USB2.0 devices, like the Focusrite and the Balance I had previously, when you run them on USB 3.x ports. Once I saw this was fine, and that Reaper ran okay, I kept fishing as Propellerheads' support didn't seem to have a precise clue while they were trying to help me. For a while there, I even thought that my issue was related to what is described here for Cubase and Nuendo - https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47640. However, the ASIO options in Reason are not as complete as what you get with Reaper, for instance.

Anyway, if you have an over-the-top number of threads, like the i9-7980xe, then unticking that "Use hyper-threading audio rendering" option would work. I've just completed a tune for the first time in 6 months now that I can run Reason without spikes and pops.

Following up and posting this here in case this happens to anyone else.
Last edited by ahuimanu on 05 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

kuhliloach

02 Jun 2018

I have "Use multi-core audio rendering" and "Use hyper-threading audio rendering" both disabled, for various reasons. I'm curious if anyone uses either feature successfully, since it seems many people here are disabling one or both.

ahuimanu

05 Jun 2018

They seem to both default to on when I install Reason.

• Information