Advice on iMac and audio interface please

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
grueser3

17 Dec 2017

Think I’ve decided on an IMac 27, 32gbs Ram, I7 cpu, 512 gb ssd. First question is which audio interface would you recommend, and should I use USB or thunderbolt? And do some interfaces let you use both? Also what drivers should I be installing, ASIO, or am I to use core audio? My budget is $500 for the interface. and my keyboard controller hardware are Yamaha Tyros 3, and Yamaha MOXF. I did use a MacBook Pro before, but it had bad latency, but I didn’t have and audio interface back then. I’ll be running Reason 10. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as a lot of this is confusing to me. I am barely a novice and primarily use this for my personal pleasure in my home studio.
Thanks

botnotbot

23 Dec 2017

Thunderbolt is definitely lower latency but I'm not sure what you will be able to get inside your budget. The Clarrett 2 in / 2 out is probably inside your budget but then you won't be able to have both of your keyboards plugged in at the same time (unless you go mono for each).

I don't know if Presonus has shrunk their Quantum into smaller units but that is supposedly the lowest latency Thunderbolt on the market.

grueser3

23 Dec 2017

Thanks botnotbot, I’ll check that out, don’t neccesarily use both keyboards at the same time. Thanks for the info

• Information