Windows 10 + Reason 9.5 performance on battery

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fotizimo

06 Dec 2017

Hey all,

I have a couple of questions about Windows 10 performance settings when working with my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 laptop and Reason while on battery, and thought I would see if you all might know where I can start looking.

I recently reformated the laptop and put the latest Win10 Fall Creators Update version of the OS on the laptop and have found that when working on battery, Reason slows down to an almost unbearable crawl, and i can't seem to figure out what setting is so adversely affecting my performance. before I reformated, Reason worked acceptably in battery mode, but for some reason, now it won't. I have tried the CPU/hyperthreading settings in Reason and those seem to have no visible affect as most of my projects consist of single instruments with basic effects chains.

So I am using Reason 9.5 with an i7 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD which, when on power, works really well. When I take the device mobile, I find any project I open, my DSP settings go almost straight to red and I get audio issues. I suspect the issues are in my power settings, but I am not sure where. I have enabled the ability to see the "high performance" and "battery saver" options in the power settings, and am working off a customized version of "balanced", but I can't seem to find the setting that will allow Reason to function while on batteries.

When I use "high performance" settings in power, Reason works well, and for most part I have replicated those settings in my custom setting, but am wondering if anyone might know which setting affects Reasons capabilities while running on battery? At this point, I can't open an empty project and add a single instrument without getting performance issues, and it is driving me crazy.

Maybe I just need to manually set the option to "high performance" whenever I use the laptop on battery.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

jam-s

13 Dec 2017

With most powersave features the CPU will run much slower and try to enter sleep states much more frequent. This pretty much kills your DSP performance (and latency).

• Information