Small Line Mixer suggestions / advice needed for Reason 10...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
audiomidiman

04 Dec 2017

I'm getting kind of confused on what I'm trying to accomplish here so I'll try to explain what I'd like to do with my setup. about 5-6 years ago I was still using my Alesis Studio / 32 mixer for all my gear!!! Since then, I've taken a break, moved, etc... and let everything sit forever. The only external gear I still have is a Kurzweil K2000 and a Frostwave Resonator Filter (MS-20 Filter)... With an occasional microphone... I've pretty much simplified everything and don't ever plan on going crazy with gear again... ha ha... unless it's a Eurorack!!! ha ha...

I have an 27" iMac, Reason 10 and a Steinbert ur22mkii... The ur22mkii goes to my JBL LSR305. Right now, I just have the K2000 hooked up to the two line in's on the ur22mkii and have two channels setup in reason (one panned left and one panned right)... Works Ok for the most part but trying to figure out a better way to set this up... So, I started to look at "small" 8-12 channel USB Mixers... Figured I could just use the mixer as an audio card (selling the ur22mkii)... Or just keep it for recording because I'm assuming the ad/da converters aer better...

I do still have my Alesis but good got it's dirty and hell!!! So, not sure I want to deal with restoring just so I can use a few channels.

So, I'm looking at small Behringer and Mackie's... But, open to "other" clean mixer suggestions. Smaller the better!!! As far as "foot print".

I'm also looking for suggestions on "how and what" would be the best way to hook this up in 2017? I originally had all my gear plugged into my Mixer... the computer / sound card to the mixer then the mixer to the monitors...

Or I could just spend extra $$$$ on a better mixer, ditch the soundcard and use the mixer as the sound card.

Help for any suggestions... No huge rush...

QVprod

04 Dec 2017

There are a few different options but It comes down to what you want. From what I understand you need 2 inputs for your keyboard and 1 input for an occasional microphone. that's a total of 3 inputs you may need plus the possibility to route a mono audio signal from Reason to the Frostwave Resonator and back into Reason. So 4 inputs and more than 2 outputs. That means the minimum physical (not digital) i/o you need is 4x4. That only leaves the question of if you need the midi functionality from the UR22 mkii. If so then the search is for an interface that has at least 4 inputs and outputs and also has midi i/o.

Assuming the above ^ is what you need, You've out grown your UR22, but I would say don't bother with a mixer. Just get an audio interface. Some of them have a double function as a line mixer as well and are self powered instead of bus powered should you want to for instance play your K2000 without turning the computer on. The caveat is those are generally in rackmount form so its not a small footprint, but you can always just place your laptop or computer monitor (which ever one you use) on top of it so space shouldn't be too much of an issue here.

With that in mind you can either get something as cheap as the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404 for $99 USD (for which there's an 8 physical input version as well) or something more like the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 which will give you a bit more routing flexibility with it's built in software controlled mixer that can also be set to be used as a mixer without a computer.

*Side note: Audio tracks in Reason can be setup as stereo. There's no need to have two separate audio tracks.

audiomidiman

04 Dec 2017

QVprod wrote:
04 Dec 2017
*Side note: Audio tracks in Reason can be setup as stereo. There's no need to have two separate audio tracks.
Huh??? I'm so lost in the Reason 8 and now 10!!! ha ha... Thanks... I'll google it. Assuming you can create a stereo audio track and set it up so it grabs "audio in 1" for Left and "audio in 2" for the Right...

Thanks for all the other advice. Might just "hold off" for the moment... Coworker "gave me to try" a USB Peavey but I'm not that keen on Peavey brand for some reason. So, I will probably give it back to him (Plus he's telling me it's worth $100-$135 and I'd rather have a Behringer with FX for $100)... I "really" love just using reason versus tons of external gear!!! My son, who is 12 is an very talented piano player... I just setup the K2000 just "because" I wanted to inspire him to write a little bit with Reason, Garage Band and possibly the Cubase that came free with the audio card. He's been having TONS OF FUN jamming with the K2000 (with the built in sounds) wearing headphones because he doesn't really understand the audio routing in the computer yet...

So, maybe for the moment while I'm trying to figure out my plan of action... I'll grab the Behringer K450-FX PA from my other room (use it for my Moog Theremini) and hook the K2000 to that for him to "jam"... and leave 1/4" cables by the audio card to quickly record "if needed at this time"... :) Figure I could just hook up the K2000, Theremini and the MS-20 Filter to the PA when jamming to avoid blowing the JBL's...

• Information