Battery powered audio interface?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
svenh

03 Dec 2017

I want a mobile rig for recording audio tracks such as vocals.

I thought I could run Live or Reason on my Windows laptop and use my Scarlett 2i2, but the lights on 2i2 are blinking, signaling that there is not enough power in my laptop to drive 2i2.

I guess I need a battery powered USB interface if there is such a thing that works on Windows (I can not afford a new laptop)? It should also be able to deliver phantom power to the mic.

IK Multimedia claims that their iRig Pro can be used on PC, but I have never heard of anyone using it with a PC. Is there anyone who can confirm that it works?

Other suggestions?

Grateful for replies,
Sven

joeyluck

03 Dec 2017

There are the Zoom products, such as the H4n Pro, H5, H6, R8, R16, R24, F4, F8

I use the Zoom H5 for field recording. It has on-board mics (modular) and 2 combo inputs with phantom power. It also doubles as an audio interface. And when doing so, you can choose bus-power or battery power. I know the other handy recorders (H4n and H6) are the same. And I'm guessing the other series offer the same capability.

svenh

03 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017

I use the Zoom H5 for field recording. It has on-board mics (modular) and 2 combo inputs with phantom power. It also doubles as an audio interface. And when doing so, you can choose bus-power or battery power. I know the other handy recorders (H4n and H6) are the same. And I'm guessing the other series offer the same capability.
Wow, that was a quick reply! :o Thanks! That may be an interesting option!

A couple of months ago, I was considering using something like H5 only, for vocal recording on the go. Since it is a multi track recorder, I thought I could create a backing track on my computer, transfer it to H5, then record the vocals with this backing track.

I know that it is possible to record a backing track first in H5 and then record a vocal track on top of that. I couldn't get anyone to confirm, however, that I can transfer my own backing track produced as a wav-file in my computer to use in H5. Do *you* know if that would work?

joeyluck

03 Dec 2017

svenh wrote:
03 Dec 2017
joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017

Wow, that was a quick reply! :o Thanks! That may be an interesting option!

A couple of months ago, I was considering using something like H5 only, for vocal recording on the go. Since it is a multi track recorder, I thought I could create a backing track on my computer, transfer it to H5, then record the vocals with this backing track.

I know that it is possible to record a backing track first in H5 and then record a vocal track on top of that. I couldn't get anyone to confirm, however, that I can transfer my own backing track produced as a wav-file in my computer to use in H5. Do *you* know if that would work?
You can do both. Recording on the H5 saves to SD card which you can then insert the SD card into your laptop if it has a reader or you can use the H5 as a reader (when you boot it up while plugged into your computer, it will ask if you want to use it as an interface or an SD card reader).

joeyluck

03 Dec 2017

But if you are near your laptop and working with your laptop, I would prefer to do all of that on the laptop instead.

svenh

03 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017
You can do both. Recording on the H5 saves to SD card which you can then insert the SD card into your laptop if it has a reader or you can use the H5 as a reader (when you boot it up while plugged into your computer, it will ask if you want to use it as an interface or an SD card reader).

There seems to be a lot of menu diving. Do you find it intuitive to use or would it be difficult for me if I do this every three months or so?

joeyluck

03 Dec 2017

svenh wrote:
03 Dec 2017
joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017
There seems to be a lot of menu diving. Do you find it intuitive to use or would it be difficult for me if I do this every three months or so?
I don't use it for the overdubbing feature. I just use it for field recording and as an interface. So I'm not jumping through any menus for what I'm doing with it. You might want to consider the R series instead? If multitrack recording would be your main use on the unit...

svenh

03 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017
I don't use it for the overdubbing feature. I just use it for field recording and as an interface. So I'm not jumping through any menus for what I'm doing with it. You might want to consider the R series instead? If multitrack recording would be your main use on the unit...
Well, it's probably easier to use something like the H5 as an interface for a laptop... I will have to think about this. Thanks a lot for your help!

O1B

03 Dec 2017

I have an H6. Using it today. I NeVER hook it to the computer.

Why?? The computer is too noisy. Any of them - during recording (vocals)
Recording straight from the H6. The room is quiet quiet quiet.

I turn it on.
A (soon to be dual) SM58 (for 4 mic recording), is plugged in to channel 3(/4.)
I adjust the volume pots, VU check, and hit record.
No menu diving whatsoever. Dunno about the H5.
If you do want to mess with settings, the menu and arrow buttons are all you need: filter, pad, etc....

The LP-12 is a winner also. Not as portable as an h6, but it's portable mixing capabilities are quite useful.

svenh wrote:
03 Dec 2017
joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017
Well, it's probably easier to use something like the H5 as an interface for a laptop... I will have to think about this. Thanks a lot for your help!
Last edited by O1B on 04 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Ostermilk

03 Dec 2017

Another alternative to a portable recorder maybe an external power pack to run your USB device from.

Some examples to fuel your thoughts;

https://www.lifewire.com/best-portable- ... ry-4050506

svenh

03 Dec 2017

O1B wrote:
03 Dec 2017
I have an H6. Using it today. I NeVER hook it to the computer.

Why?? The computer is too noisy. Any of them - during recording (vocals)
Recording straight from the H6. The room is quiet quiet quiet.

I turn it on.
A (soon to be dual) SM58 (for 4 mic recording), is plugged in to channel 3(/4.)
I adjust the volume pots, VU check, and hit record.
No menu diving whatsoever. Dunno about the H6.
If you do want to mess with settings, the menu and arrow buttons are all you need: filter, pad, etc....
It does indeed look very nice! But can you transfer your own wav-files to H6 and use them as backing track for the vocalist?

svenh

03 Dec 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
03 Dec 2017
Another alternative to a portable recorder maybe an external power pack to run your USB device from.

Thanks for the tip, that may be another option. But then again, that's another gadget to keep track of...

O1B

04 Dec 2017

COPY AUDIO TRACKS TO THE ZOOM H6

http://www.filklore.com/wordpress/2016/ ... e-zoom-h6/
"Take my current project – I have a stereo backing track, recorded elsewhere, that I want to lay further tracks against. I could do this easily using Audacity on my PC or Tablet, with the Zoom H6 just as an audio interface. But the main track I am recording is going to be vocal, and I don’t want faff about with a computer or tablet while I am trying to sing. Aside from the possible fan and disk noise from the computer, .... "

svenh wrote:
03 Dec 2017
Ostermilk wrote:
03 Dec 2017

Thanks for the tip, that may be another option. But then again, that's another gadget to keep track of...

O1B

04 Dec 2017

O1B wrote:
04 Dec 2017

"Take my current project – I have a stereo backing track, recorded elsewhere, that I want to lay further tracks against. I could do this easily using Audacity on my PC or Tablet, with the Zoom H6 just as an audio interface. But the main track I am recording is going to be vocal, and I don’t want faff about with a computer or tablet while I am trying to sing. Aside from the possible fan and disk noise from the computer, .... "

For backing tracks , id use an L12. But i typically record the vocals ONLY.
svenh wrote:
03 Dec 2017

normen

04 Dec 2017

By the way you could also use a USB hub in combination with a power pack (for changing phones) to avoid the power issue and still be wireless.

svenh

04 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017

Have you used it as audio interface on a PC? If so, did you get decent latency with it?

joeyluck

04 Dec 2017

svenh wrote:
04 Dec 2017
joeyluck wrote:
03 Dec 2017

Have you used it as audio interface on a PC? If so, did you get decent latency with it?
I use it with my MacBook Air and there is no noticeable latency.

tumar

04 Dec 2017

Roland Duo Capture runs on batteries:

https://www.roland.com/us/products/duo-capture_ex/

Check also interfaces with iPad compatibility - most of them can run on usb powerbank.

O1B

04 Dec 2017

BIngo! Good one. Can't remember my I'm waiting for MK2...

Oh,
- $300 more than the L-12
- without dedicated mixing capabilities - even just a one band eq per track.
- I needed a portable mixer and not so much 16 channels of recording. the H6 is plenty.
But, it is an efficient Audio Interface. Recording and Mixing with outboard gear.\

if you need 16 Channels, Roland Capture; if you only need 6, hard to beat the Zoom H6 (dunno how many H5 is..)

tumar wrote:
04 Dec 2017
Roland Duo Capture runs on batteries:

https://www.roland.com/us/products/duo-capture_ex/

Check also interfaces with iPad compatibility - most of them can run on usb powerbank.

svenh

04 Dec 2017

O1B wrote:
04 Dec 2017
O1B wrote:
04 Dec 2017

For backing tracks , id use an L12. But i typically record the vocals ONLY.
What is an L12?

Instead of the somewhat cumbersome workaround on the page you linked to, to transfer a backing track wav-file from the computer to the H6, would it be possible to connect a cable like this

from the my headphone jack on my stationary computer sound card to input 1/2 on H6, to record the background track directly? Then I can record the vocals on channel 3 or 4? (Maybe this won't work, I am not good at signal levels...)

• Information