MaschineR, PusheR? Any users here? Looking for opinions.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ZDPhoenix

27 Nov 2017

I absolutely hate that every. single. post. about trying to get NI, or Ableton hardware to work with Reason goes to (what I feel is) an overpriced LUA script; that has tons of mixed opinions on their own YouTube comments.

I have a Push 1 and a Maschine Studio. I can use both in well... everything else I touch but Reason, straight out the box. All roads lead back to Retouch Control's "MaschineR/PusheR" scripts.

Anyone in these forums use either of these? Desperately looking for some honest opinions here. The high price tag has kept me away from it for months, but I'm getting to the point where I may just spend $50 on a cheap used MPD, letting my Studio and Push gather dust, while I work with Reason.
Last edited by ZDPhoenix on 28 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

ebbhead

28 Nov 2017

Push2 / PusheR2 user...works for me - no issues whatsoever - easy install and if you're using Live and Reason together the ability to flip the hardware between the two is ace. Not tried the Maschine / Maschine combo - I have a Maschine Mk2 but the Push2 covers all the bases as far as Reason goes.

$35 doesn't feel (to me at least) too much of a stretch when I think about the added 'hands on' benefits I get...just my opinion.

Gorgon

29 Nov 2017

ZDPhoenix wrote:
27 Nov 2017
I absolutely hate that every. single. post. about trying to get NI, or Ableton hardware to work with Reason goes to (what I feel is) an overpriced LUA script; that has tons of mixed opinions on their own YouTube comments.
If you want some advice, this isn't the way to go about it. Starting with "I hate" doesn't really invite people into sharing their opinion with you.

That being said, PusheR is fantastic. Well worth the price. Nothing "overpriced" or "larcenous" about it. Also, the support is great. If you have problems, you just mail them and they'll help you right away.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

ZDPhoenix

29 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
29 Nov 2017
If you want some advice, this isn't the way to go about it. Starting with "I hate" doesn't really invite people into sharing their opinion with you.

That being said, PusheR is fantastic. Well worth the price. Nothing "overpriced" or "larcenous" about it. Also, the support is great. If you have problems, you just mail them and they'll help you right away.
I would rather have advice on what I wrote, instead of how I wrote it; but admittedly, I get what you're saying.

I wrote the original post pretty lividly after realizing a used midi pad from a big box music store was cheaper than PusheR or MaschineR (which I decided to buy, while I further investigate these).

I posted this to a few Facebook Groups as well; and it seems like the YT comments on Retouch's own videos, claiming there's no support or "this doesn't work!", are unfounded. The only people that seemed to have issues were with MaschineR and not PusheR. Most of this was from after R10's release.

Since PusheR had very little in the way of complaints, that's what I'm likely going to try first, after a little more research.

Gorgon

30 Nov 2017

ZDPhoenix wrote:
29 Nov 2017
I would rather have advice on what I wrote, instead of how I wrote it; but admittedly, I get what you're saying.

I wrote the original post pretty lividly after realizing a used midi pad from a big box music store was cheaper than PusheR or MaschineR (which I decided to buy, while I further investigate these).

I posted this to a few Facebook Groups as well; and it seems like the YT comments on Retouch's own videos, claiming there's no support or "this doesn't work!", are unfounded. The only people that seemed to have issues were with MaschineR and not PusheR. Most of this was from after R10's release.

Since PusheR had very little in the way of complaints, that's what I'm likely going to try first, after a little more research.
I'll see if I can find the time to make a little video so I can show you how it works.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

dana

30 Nov 2017

Both of these require you run an application to interface between reason and the device.

Its not just a simple lua script.

I wouldn't expect to get the same experience as you would with the software that is intended for the device, whether maschine studio or ableton push 2, what you get is a hack that works to allow a few features using these devices.

Don't expect reason to magically become maschine or ableton with push.

Its an elaborate, yet impressive hack.
One thing that does bug me is the start/stop buttons on maschinR don't work in the same way as maschine.
It can also be cumbersome to access parameters, expect to learn the maschinR way of doing things.
Don't expect the same fancy on-screen graphics etc.

I can't really remember much about using pusheR, but thats down to me not liking the rigidity of the rotaries on the hardware itself.

demt

30 Nov 2017

check out grid 64 g and grid 64n if you havent allready they are speciffically designed to run with pushr and maschine in reason

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... sequencer/
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

demt

30 Nov 2017

Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

ejanuska

01 Dec 2017

I bought maschineR and used it on MK1 and MK2 controllers. I didn't care for it and I don't use it.
I hardly use Maschine anymore either. Wish I would have waited and just bought a novation mini and that RE that works with it, 64g or whatever.

• Information