Studio Monitors De-Emphasis Question

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
chrischrischris

21 Nov 2017

Hi,

Is anybody here familiar with De-Emphasis On Studio Monitors? I have an issue that I'd like to get resolved where I can here it clicking On And Off when The Music is either starting or stopping.

Thanks in advance

Chris

normen

21 Nov 2017

Huh? I don't know what de-emphasis has to do with monitors? De-emphasis is what you do for vinyl for example. You lower the bass before you cut it so the groove hasn't such a high amplitude and then when you play it back you add that bass again.

What you describe rather sounds like a power saving feature of your monitors?

chrischrischris

21 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Huh? I don't know what de-emphasis has to do with monitors? De-emphasis is what you do for vinyl for example. You lower the bass before you cut it so the groove hasn't such a high amplitude and then when you play it back you add that bass again.

What you describe rather sounds like a power saving feature of your monitors?
Hi,

Yeah it sort of is that yeah.

These I have just bought

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 8fb6cf7c6/

but have been using these

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... fications/

without complaints for years but the lacking low end was worth a punt for Me.

Basically when The Music starts HF Noise is added and when The Music is stopped The HF Noise is stopped and there is a little click (OFF Noise).

The DS-5's have De-Emphasis set to off, The DS-90A's have De-Emphasis set to ON Or OFF which makes sense for the noise and click but it's un bearable.

Thanks in advance

Chris

normen

21 Nov 2017

I doubt you have any material that requires de-emphasis. Maybe you got used to that setting which most probably cuts the highs. So if its turned on and the monitor DSP turns on de-emphasis when the music is played it doesn't cut the highs anymore -> you hear the noise that is always there.

selig
RE Developer

22 Nov 2017

From what I can tell, de-emphasis is for the SPDIF input only, and you would only hear any effects of this if using that input. And the results would be static, not turning on/off AFAIK.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information