R.I.P. Cakewalk.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Social Exodus

22 Nov 2017

My "other" (and now apparently former) DAW is kaput.

Thing is, I paid for so-called "Lifetime Subscription" which was supposed to entitle me to endless updates. That lasted 17 months. I was a fan of their subscription model at the time but now I see that they took everyone's money knowing the ship was sinking while also (by license) preventing SONAR users from selling their licenses.

So I guess I've learned a few things:
  • Never trust a "Lifetime" anything offer. It's likely bullshit.
  • Propellerheads (the company) isn't as bad as all the complaints (in some quarters) about them seem to indicate. At least not yet.
  • The idea of a stand alone dedicated machine DAW is looking better and better for a non-professional engineer like me.
  • I'll touch a Gibson (the owners of Cakewalk and the perps in our story) guitar when Satan has icicles in his beard. Henceforth, they are Fibson to me.
  • The "Music Industry" is far more "industry" than "music" now.
  • Lester Bangs was right; “The first mistake of art is to assume that it's serious.”
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

jlgrimes

22 Nov 2017

Social Exodus wrote:
22 Nov 2017

Thing is, I paid for so-called "Lifetime Subscription" which was supposed to entitle me to endless updates. That lasted 17 months. I was a fan of their subscription model at the time but now I see that they took everyone's money knowing the ship was sinking while also (by license) preventing SONAR users from selling their licenses.

• Propellerheads (the company) isn't as bad as all the complaints (in some quarters) about them seem to indicate. At least not yet.
  • The idea of a stand alone dedicated machine DAW is looking better and better for a non-professional engineer like me.
  • I'll touch a Gibson (the owners of Cakewalk and the perps in our story) guitar when Satan has icicles in his beard. Henceforth, they are Fibson to me.
  • Lester Bangs was right; “The first mistake of art is to assume that it's serious.”
I used to use Sonar almost exclusively but stopped about 7 years or so ago.

The main DAW that got me off of Sonar (for audio) was Reaper. It did most of what Sonar could do and only for $60 (even though Reaper didn't do that well with midi). Reaper is also surprisingly stable where Sonar tended to be buggy especially during a major release.

It really sealed the deal when Sonar released X1. On paper it seemed like it would be badass. I bought the upgrade and tried to use it in a project. It was the most buggy experience I've had with software to date. I stopped using Sonar after that. That said I have alot of old Sonar projects I probably will have a hard time trying to open. Sonar actually had some great audio functions, I think they released a little too many buggy releases. I went over to a Reaper forum and realized a great chunk of those users were former Sonar users.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2017

Flavolous wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Grumbleweed wrote:
22 Nov 2017

AudioDeluxe.

Grum
What coupon code did you use ?
It automatically put in FALL2017 and took another $11 off of the $99 I thought I was buying it for.
Sweet :D

Grum.

Social Exodus

22 Nov 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Social Exodus wrote:
22 Nov 2017

I used to use Sonar almost exclusively but stopped about 7 years or so ago.

The main DAW that got me off of Sonar (for audio) was Reaper. It did most of what Sonar could do and only for $60 (even though Reaper didn't do that well with midi). Reaper is also surprisingly stable where Sonar tended to be buggy especially during a major release.

It really sealed the deal when Sonar released X1. On paper it seemed like it would be badass. I bought the upgrade and tried to use it in a project. It was the most buggy experience I've had with software to date. I stopped using Sonar after that. That said I have alot of old Sonar projects I probably will have a hard time trying to open. Sonar actually had some great audio functions, I think they released a little too many buggy releases. I went over to a Reaper forum and realized a great chunk of those users were former Sonar users.
I have a Reaper license as well that is STILL giving me dot upgrades 3 years later for $60. In that world, it will be my new DAW of choice for guitar recording using TH3 (assuming my Cakewalk "upgrade" is still legit). I haven't used it much, but that will change more than likely as the details of Cakewalk's shutdown by Fibson become clearer. I like Reaper mostly because of it's development and ownership model really since no large (greedy) corporation owns them. As soon as I figure out which of my purchases that were piggy backed off Cakewalk SONAR Platinum will work outside of SONAR, I'll know what and where to go next -- if anywhere at all.

Reason has come a long way in terms of guitar capabilities as well, especially now that my Line 6 POD Farm Platinum works in Reason with the addition of VST support. From where I sit, I prefer Reason's native Rack Extensions for everything else though as they are simply more stable, provide proper undo/redo support and are "rack centric". I can see myself as a Reason only guy having invested a large sum of disposable income here (as well as SONAR) on rack extensions already and needing no others in the foreseeable future.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

EnochLight

22 Nov 2017

@MattiasHG:

Propellerhead needs to jump on this ASAP, and offer cross-grade discounts for Sonar refuges. All someone should need to do is provide their Sonar registration proof, and then Props should offer them a massive discount to come over to the full version of Reason - like 40%-50% off of MSRP.

PreSonus did a crossgrade promo for Studio One at one time, and I picked up a license just because of that.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

22 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
@MattiasHG:

Propellerhead needs to jump on this ASAP, and offer cross-grade discounts for Sonar refuges. All someone should need to do is provide their Sonar registration proof, and then Props should offer them a massive discount to come over to the full version of Reason - like 40%-50% off of MSRP.

PreSonus did a crossgrade promo for Studio One at one time, and I picked up a license just because of that.
Great idea :thumbs_up:

If you really want to get someone's attention and tag someone here, the best way to do it is to "quote" them, with an empty quote. They'll still get a notification. Or pull the most relevant quote from another thread and use it here.

swamptooth

22 Nov 2017

That's sad. I started with Sonar about 8 years ago when I got back into making music. It was/is a great DAW. They made great synths as well until the last couple of years. I picked up Reason and Cubase for collaborations in the last 3-4 years and didn't use Sonar as much because honestly I just couldn't have so many project files to keep track of. Cakewalk was very innovative in a lot of areas (the ProChannel modules more recently) and the UI was very clean and fun to work with. It's a shame...

EnochLight

22 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
22 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
@MattiasHG:

If you really want to get someone's attention and tag someone here, the best way to do it is to "quote" them, with an empty quote. They'll still get a notification. Or pull the most relevant quote from another thread and use it here.
I PM'd him here; hopefully he'll get it. That said, as the Product Manager of Reason, I'm hoping he's savvy enough to keep up with what's going on with the competition. Not sure if Props wanna' play ball, but it would be a poor choice not to. PreSonus will definitely offer a crossgrade.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

22 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
22 Nov 2017

I PM'd him here; hopefully he'll get it. That said, as the Product Manager of Reason, I'm hoping he's savvy enough to keep up with what's going on with the competition. Not sure if Props wanna' play ball, but it would be a poor choice not to. PreSonus will definitely offer a crossgrade.
Cool. I was just mostly just passing along the tip as I've seen many other members here in other threads use the @address approach.

EnochLight

22 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Cool. I was just mostly just passing along the tip as I've seen many other members here in other threads use the @address approach.
:thumbs_up: :cool:

etyrnal

22 Nov 2017

pjeudy wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
21 Nov 2017
As long as Propellerhead exists, sure :puf_wink:
I was just going to post something to that effect.

This is a reminder that all that investment we are making on these plugins/DAW depends on the life of the company. Propellerhead isn't invincible...they can, and have made mistakes so Propellerheads better not let down there guard..

I will try to keep an eye on this cakewalk thing to see how they handle it in the long run. Let's see if they they are no longer developing/maintaining software plugins if they will allow user a free authorization code license or something?

Sad news for the employees but this is a real world teachable moment, we will see....
All of this is entirely the reason why I do not deal with products that require subscriptions. I prefer to own my software out right. And I really really despise the idea that in order to keep using your software your software has to be dependent on something that only they provide.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

etyrnal

22 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I hope all Cakewalk products will be released as open source. Make the world a better place.

See https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/cakewal ... maybe-not/
Open source is usually only a good idea if the underlying software and technology is already a great technology. I hate to see an open source Community build upon a bad platform. Things can only get uglier in that situation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

stratatonic

22 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
@MattiasHG:

I think all DAW companies would be thinking of crossover promotions to increase their user base. Another DAW company is going to be the next casualty eventually. Probably sooner rather than later.

stratatonic

22 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
22 Nov 2017
I hope all Cakewalk products will be released as open source. Make the world a better place.

Not sure the rest of the DAW companies would like that too much...

stratatonic

22 Nov 2017

sdst wrote:
21 Nov 2017
I was not a big fan of Sonar interface, but the RE2A is a top of best
So, who gets the 70% cut of each sale of RE2A going forward?

QVprod

22 Nov 2017

stratatonic wrote:
22 Nov 2017

So, who gets the 70% cut of each sale of RE2A going forward?

Probably Gibson. As of now though, technically Cakewalk still exists in name. There's just no more product development.

Marco Raaphorst

23 Nov 2017

stratatonic wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
22 Nov 2017
I hope all Cakewalk products will be released as open source. Make the world a better place.

Not sure the rest of the DAW companies would like that too much...
They all need to be aware that open source is the future :D

Wickline

23 Nov 2017

Gorgon wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Nov 2017
I bought Sonar many years ago. Wasn't able to finish one track on it. Crashed such a lot. I know some people who were successful with that program but not me.

Must say I LOVE the RE-2A.
What I remember most is that Cakewalk was used a lot by non-tech savvy musicians who were just learning to make music on the PC. Never heard them complain about crashes though.
Probably because they had various versions that came free with EVERYTHING. I mean at the music stores I went to in JH / HS probably 3/4 of anything that could connect to a computer came with some form of a cakewalk daw. I had a few different versions that came with gear I got. I didn’t really like any of them but This was back around Reason 1-2. Ended up using a Roland 1680 to record on and later Cubase and Live til Record finally came out. Lots of memories on that Roland unit but I do not miss virtual tracks one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

plaamook

23 Nov 2017

Every time I pay for a Reason upgrade I hope I'm staving off the collapse of Props. Gives me the fear to think about it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

WongoTheSane

23 Nov 2017

Just a heads-up: several threads have been created on the unfortunate demise of Cakewalk, we (mods) are merging them to help centralize info.

Fotu

23 Nov 2017

Alas, another gone. I enjoyed using Cakewalk in the 90s, including for backing tracks during live play. Back then it seemed utterly amazing coming from DOS-based Textures in the 80s!

Oquasec

23 Nov 2017

Upgrading Reason is 129$ or 40$ a month. So the same price as videogames.
Will be doing my part to keep Reason afloat since it's the Steinberg of CV & Gate and nothing is as widespread as this daw for that niche yet.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Social Exodus

23 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
22 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
@MattiasHG:

I agree, great idea. An opportunity to pick up some new customers is at hand.

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

scratchnsnifff

24 Nov 2017

Isn’t there a cake walk compressor in the shop? Does that mean it will disappear?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information