R.I.P. Cakewalk.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Gorgon

24 Nov 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
22 Nov 2017

AudioDeluxe.

Grum
75 Euro. Now THAT is interesting.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2017

It turns out that Reason 10 isn't everything (though I have no complaints) so I'm also using the Cubase 9.5 crossgrade offer (their dangling carrot to owners of other, possibly extinct, DAWs) to get Cubase.
It's weird as a few days before Cakewalk died I started looking at other DAWs anyway - I considered Live but it just doesn't work for me. Hopefully Cubase will be the one.

Grum.

Oquasec

24 Nov 2017

Yep, if a daw dies it will only be reliable and not too buggy on the version it died on and below
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pjeudy

26 Nov 2017

Oquasec wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Upgrading Reason is 129$ or 40$ a month. So the same price as videogames.
Will be doing my part to keep Reason afloat since it's the Steinberg of CV & Gate and nothing is as widespread as this daw for that niche yet.
Mmm. My take is ...it's not my job to keep REASON afloat.That's Propellerheads CEO,developers and Marketing team job. One might find that some people work best when they get a dose of reality that they to can find themselves doing the Cakewalk!

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Resonator

26 Nov 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Nov 2017
Isn’t there a cake walk compressor in the shop? Does that mean it will disappear?
I'm not sure if it'll disappear. But it should always be available to download for anyone that bought it

joeyluck

26 Nov 2017

Resonator wrote:
26 Nov 2017
scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Nov 2017
Isn’t there a cake walk compressor in the shop? Does that mean it will disappear?
I'm not sure if it'll disappear. But it should always be available to download for anyone that bought it
Yup. And a point I made earlier in this thread is that while Cakewalk will keep servers running so people can download the VST (who knows for how long), they will no longer support it and update it. So as DAWs and operating systems are updated, it can become buggy and may not work... Whereas with the RE, it will continue to work in Reason regardless the OS changes.

EdGrip

27 Nov 2017

As I go about the internet, I still see ads from shops trying to sell me Sonar. Which is pretty fucking cheeky, if you ask me.

Ostermilk

27 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
22 Nov 2017
I hope all Cakewalk products will be released as open source. Make the world a better place.

See https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/cakewal ... maybe-not/
A hard nosed commercial business like Gibson isn't likely to turn it's assets over for free. When it aqcuired Cakewalk from Roland I don't think it was for free and I can't see presently they are interested in selling the brand so the remaindered assets are likely to be intellectual property rights and any talent from Cakewalk they can use in Gibson/Philips future hardware products.

As someone else mentioned earlier it does seem to be historically Gibson's MO to favour those kind of assets. I know Craig Anderton got fired rather than leaving which would indicate that any further marketing efforts toward the Cakewalk brand have ended as well as any further Sonar development.

I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for a buyer to appear, much less Gibson turning that stuff over to the open source community.

I'm still running Sonar 8.5 as I didn't like any of the later offerings and it still works as well as it ever did, so newer users shouldn't be too worried because what they bought (barring 'Lifetime' updates of course) will continue to work for a long time to come.

Just my 2 pennies worth of course.

EdGrip

27 Nov 2017

I think if anyone knowingly hands over actual money to buy orphaned software from a company that no longer exists, they are an idiot. And when an OS update renders their software useless, they deserve nothing less.

My real worry is retailers cynically trying to flog the software licenses they've got sitting on the shelf to green (often young) newcomers who don't know Cakewalk no longer exists. That's simply a dick move.

kitekrazy

27 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
@MattiasHG:

Propellerhead needs to jump on this ASAP, and offer cross-grade discounts for Sonar refuges. All someone should need to do is provide their Sonar registration proof, and then Props should offer them a massive discount to come over to the full version of Reason - like 40%-50% off of MSRP.

PreSonus did a crossgrade promo for Studio One at one time, and I picked up a license just because of that.
It's a different user base. I've had Sonar since 2 and did orchestra type work. When I got into dance genres I started messing with FL, Live, and Reason. There are quite a few over at the Sonar forums have Reason. For those who don't Reason is not the ideal replacement DAW. Studio One is an easier transition. Some are jumping on the Cubase crossgrade. Not me I have enough DAWs,

kitekrazy

27 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
22 Nov 2017

Great idea :thumbs_up:

If you really want to get someone's attention and tag someone here, the best way to do it is to "quote" them, with an empty quote. They'll still get a notification. Or pull the most relevant quote from another thread and use it here.
I PM'd him here; hopefully he'll get it. That said, as the Product Manager of Reason, I'm hoping he's savvy enough to keep up with what's going on with the competition. Not sure if Props wanna' play ball, but it would be a poor choice not to. PreSonus will definitely offer a crossgrade.
Presonus has always been aggressive in sales. It was nice to see a sale on R10 upgrade. I got mine for $84.

kitekrazy

27 Nov 2017

plaamook wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Every time I pay for a Reason upgrade I hope I'm staving off the collapse of Props. Gives me the fear to think about it.
I started worrying about that in R8. VST support gave them more life. R10 upgrade is more of an add on. Never has Props ever had a sale on an upgrade. I think they are becoming more flexible.

Besides I can slap Reason on every machine in the house. I tend to support developers with friendly authorization. That's why I'll probably avoid Cubase.

O1B

29 Nov 2017

I recall a pay what you want round R6/6.5 time.... Sounds like a sale on an upgrade to me.
Maybe, you're new.
kitekrazy wrote:
27 Nov 2017
plaamook wrote:
23 Nov 2017
Every time I pay for a Reason upgrade I hope I'm staving off the collapse of Props. Gives me the fear to think about it.
I started worrying about that in R8. VST support gave them more life. R10 upgrade is more of an add on. Never has Props ever had a sale on an upgrade. I think they are becoming more flexible.

Besides I can slap Reason on every machine in the house. I tend to support developers with friendly authorization. That's why I'll probably avoid Cubase.

kitekrazy

29 Nov 2017

O1B wrote:
29 Nov 2017
I recall a pay what you want round R6/6.5 time.... Sounds like a sale on an upgrade to me.
Maybe, you're new.
kitekrazy wrote:
27 Nov 2017

You recalled wrong. There was Reason and there was Record. Since they were doing away with Record, Props was totally screwing those with a Record license. It was big news about Props unfairness. Pay what you want was only for Record users. I sure didn't get my R6 license that way. I paid upgrade price. Now you wont sound like you have no clue.

O1B

30 Nov 2017

KiteKrazy, do you remember when Pulverizer was released? Make an effort to answer. 6? 6.5? hmmmm?

Hi, KiteKra- well, there's the problem right there. This is a Reason 6 Upgrade. The problem you 'describe' was your OWN.

There was Reason and there was Record, ma'am. Yes. Yes, there was.

Ma'a'm. Please see:
Owners of Propellerhead’s Record-Reason Duo for a limited time will be able to choose what to pay for their Reason 6 upgrade

https://www.propellerheads.se/press/116 ... o-reason-6
Pay What You Want for Propellerhead Duo Owners to Upgrade to Reason 6
OOOOOOOOPPPPPS!!!!

Ma'a,m, Please see: Pay What You Want for Propellerhead Duo Owners to Upgrade to Reason 6

Props was totally screwing---- oh! a 'whine with cheese type' here... have at it.
Ok, bye bye, KiteKra... oh, that's right.
kitekrazy wrote:
29 Nov 2017
O1B wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Maybe, you're new.
You recalled wrong. There was Reason and there was Record. Since they were doing away with Record, Props was totally screwing those with a Record license. It was big news about Props unfairness. Pay what you want was only for Record users. I sure didn't get my R6 license that way. I paid upgrade price. Now you wont sound like you have no clue.

EdGrip

30 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2017
The RE-2A has left the shop
I do hope it doesn't leave my rack.

EnochLight

30 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
30 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2017
It won’t. Unless you purposely delete it from Authorizer and never do a “Sync All” ever again.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

O1B

30 Nov 2017

Awesome RE. Up there with Softtube's Amp Hiss-type Power.
Never got the CrossGrade VST, I don't think - but, I prefer REs - amazingly.
Choice.

And, a choice compressor.
EdGrip wrote:
30 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2017

sublunar

30 Nov 2017

joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2017
This causes me concern. RE-2A was one of the bigger reasons I bought the mix and mastering rig. I've been saying for a while they really need to update those rigs. Surely they aren't going to charge the same price for the same rig, minus RE-2A, now?

EnochLight

30 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
30 Nov 2017
joeyluck wrote:
30 Nov 2017
This causes me concern. RE-2A was one of the bigger reasons I bought the mix and mastering rig. I've been saying for a while they really need to update those rigs. Surely they aren't going to charge the same price for the same rig, minus RE-2A, now?
What does it matter? If you already bought the rig and own RE-2A, you still have it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sublunar

30 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
30 Nov 2017
sublunar wrote:
30 Nov 2017

What does it matter? If you already bought the rig and own RE-2A, you still have it.
Because my mind goes into worst case scenario mode. Imagine a crappy Line 6 version of the 2A compressor and imagine it replacing the RE-2A while being demonstrably different. Everyone still complains about softube amp replacing the line 6 amp in Reason. I never liked Line 6 anything so I never tried their amp when I had it, but the softube amp is definitely not great.

EnochLight

30 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
30 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
30 Nov 2017

Because my mind goes into worst case scenario mode. Imagine a crappy Line 6 version of the 2A compressor and imagine it replacing the RE-2A while being demonstrably different. Everyone still complains about softube amp replacing the line 6 amp in Reason. I never liked Line 6 anything so I never tried their amp when I had it, but the softube amp is definitely not great.
Your worst case scenario isn't a good analogy, though, since Line6 (not an RE) has absolutely nothing to do with RE's being removed from the shop. A better analogy is this: Pontiac goes bust and no longer exists as an auto manufacturer, but everyone that bought a Pontiac doesn't lose their purchased cars. It's theirs to keep. Forever.

Same with RE's. Nothing to worry about, man.

sublunar

30 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
30 Nov 2017
sublunar wrote:
30 Nov 2017

Your worst case scenario isn't a good analogy, though, since Line6 (not an RE) has absolutely nothing to do with RE's being removed from the shop. A better analogy is this: Pontiac goes bust and no longer exists as an auto manufacturer, but everyone that bought a Pontiac doesn't lose their purchased cars. It's theirs to keep. Forever.

No idea why we're arguing now. Maybe this forum just makes people want to argue. IDK.

Can you still use your line 6 amp in Reason? That's the point I was getting at. Sorry for ever commenting.

joeyluck

30 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
30 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
30 Nov 2017

No idea why we're arguing now. Maybe this forum just makes people want to argue. IDK.

Can you still use your line 6 amp in Reason? That's the point I was getting at. Sorry for ever commenting.
I think there is some confusion here. No, we can't use Line 6 devices in Reason 9+ (the Reason devices that is).
But I can use my RE-2A that I own as a RE and it's not leaving anybody's account.

If you are implying that the Rig Bundle won't be as good of an offer to future customers, and maybe it will be supplemented with something else... I don't think current customers care as much because they have and will keep what they bought. What you bought with your Rig Bundle is not going to change. When and if the Rig Bundle is updated it will not change what you have in your account (unless it adds). So bringing up Line 6 isn't relevant here because RE-2A stays in your account/rack.

• Information