PCI-e interface choice for GL 4000

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Faxxer

18 Nov 2017

Hi guys,

Our studio recently acquired a beast of a beauty, the GL 4000...Hello Analog!!!

Well we're setup with Protools and a digital mixer currently, but want to be able to offer the other mixer as an option, but we're really having a time choosing an interface...there are a BILLION opinions, choices, different thoughts, etc.....

Anybody using a PCI-e card for windows 10 that can get say 16 channels (We'd take all 48, but if a good interface only does 16 we'll be happy to start there...but hopefully one that is modular and can be added onto as time goes forward)

We're in new waters here and need some Obi Wan Kenobi help

Last bit of info.... We have both Reason and Protools as our DAW choices in house.

~ike
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

Faxxer

20 Nov 2017

47 views, no comments. I figured someone else uses a large analog mixer somewhere
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

QVprod

20 Nov 2017

Definitely more of a Gearslutz question. I'd wager most users here work ITB.

That aside though, and to sort of answer your question, PCI-e interfaces pretty much barely exist nowadays unless you're buying used. The only kind of exception to this is going the Pro Tools HD route. The current options for running an analog setup are either Ethernet, USB, or Thunderbolt like these for example;

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RedNetA16R
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/16A
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Apollo16Bk

The downside here is that digital input interfaces cost much less for more channels and of course the more analog inputs you need, the more you're gonna have to spend to chain multiple units to reach the desired channel count.

Faxxer

21 Nov 2017

These are some great leads! Thank you!

dana

22 Nov 2017

I have a GL3300 48 channel board they are great mixers.

Motu PCIe-424 allows you to connect up to 4 of the motu 2408 devices (either mk2 or mk3)

Plus the behringer ada8200s which have midas preamps are nice - you can use two of these using adat i/o with each 2408.
Each box gives a total of 8 i/o.

That will give you up to 64 channels I/O in Reason, some other daws can support more.

You can support up to 96 channels i/o with this setup of 4x 2408 mk2/3 ( do not buy mk1!) with 8xADA8200

normen

22 Nov 2017

The desk isn't really the important part here, right? I'd get a RME MADI card and a MADI converter box, that way you can go all the way up to 128 channels (64 channels with one MADI connection). It seems extremely suspicious to me that you're investing into an analog desk for your "studio" while you haven't even figured out your audio interface which is arguably the center piece of your whole studios performance though.

Faxxer

22 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
22 Nov 2017
It seems extremely suspicious to me that you're investing into an analog desk for your "studio" while you haven't even figured out your audio interface which is arguably the center piece of your whole studios performance though.

edited, Misunderstood meaning.
Last edited by Faxxer on 23 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Faxxer

22 Nov 2017

Hi Dana,

I was checking out the Motu 16A and really like what I see in that device.

But I'd like to use the ultra low latency offered with Thunderbolt, ...as a result, since we're talking about a PC here with windows 10 I'd like to know of a thunderbolt card (PCI-e) that someone else has used and finds reliable...any suggestions?

ty, Ike

normen

22 Nov 2017

Faxxer wrote:
22 Nov 2017
I'm so suspicious!!!! you are the reason we have a "check your ego at the door" poster.
I‘m not sure what thats supposed to mean but in any case you seem to get me wrong. I suggest not picking on words when dealing with non-native speakers :)

What I say is that you shouldn‘t try to find the audio interface for your desk but the audio interface for your studio. If you can connect all channels of your desk should be secondary.

Edit: e.g. if you can easily connect to your other studio would be more interesting, right?

Faxxer

23 Nov 2017

I apologize Normen for misunderstanding. Thank you for clarifying, and I agree, though there are many options and choices that make it a difficult choice

• Information