Friesenrack - Complete band setup in a rack

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
normen

15 Nov 2017

Hey.

As some of you might know I am playing guitar in a hobby band. We're almost famous on my 20.000 people island here playing rock covers ;)
Heres a quick look if you're not only interested in the rack itself:

Anyway I quickly got frustrated with the technical side of things playing in bars and small venues. Obviously its a very mixed bag in terms of monitoring, PA, technician etc. etc. Most of the time I ended up doing everything as I was of course the only actual audio engineer.. So I wanted to have something that we can easily use at any venue and that we can also use in the same way in the rehearsal room.

Lo and behold...

The Friesenrack

What is it?
Its a Rack containing the whole Band setup including:
- X32 Rack Mixer
- In-Ear Transmitters
- Guitar Receivers for bass and two guitars
- Guitar Amp Simulators (Eleven Rack / Boss GT3)
- A Mac Mini for Guitar-to-MIDI and playing instruments
- A MINIX Mini PC for WiFi and Bluetooth connections to the MIDI pedals

What does it mean?
The band can play with the same setup at any venue. In small clubs we can connect directly to a PA and mix with an iPad. In larger venues we can send out separate signals for the mixer but still keep our own monitoring the way we're used to.

We can control our monitoring through our phones by connecting to the integrated WiFi and controlling the X32. To switch between patches we're using bluetooth pedals. So that also means that the guitarists are completely wireless. With guitar transmitters, in-ear receivers and bluetooth pedals we basically just need to take the stuff out of our bags and go.

Drum mics and the singers FX pedal are still connected by wire.

As a special addition one of the guitars can play MIDI instruments coming from MainStage on the integrated MacMini as well. It even has a little 1024x600 touch screen.

How does it work? (For Nerds)
The X32 Rack takes care of all the "traditional" routing and mixing for our monitor mixes and the PA, with its nice apps for phone (only monitors) and pads (full mixer) its just fantastic to work with.

The guitar effects are taken care of by an Avid Eleven Rack and an old Boss GT-3 multi FX. As the Eleven Rack is also an audio/MIDI interface it was pretty easy to connect a Mac Mini and use the clean guitar signal for the awesome "MIDI Guitar" software which converts a normal guitar signal to polyphonic MIDI. MainStage then takes care of the rest and allows me to play any instrument and create patches. And yes, I played a lot with guitar-to-MIDI hardware - this is better.

Connecting the MIDI bluetooth pedals was actually the trickiest thing. As I wanted a robust connection that works without pressing any on-screen buttons when a pedal gets disconnected or anything like that I resorted to writing my own little software to take care of the blueteooth-to-midi conversion.
As I needed plain old actual MIDI DIN signals I used a "MINIX" Windows mini-PC which is barely larger than a typical WiFi router and connected two USB-to-MIDI cables. I then ran my software on it to connect the bluetooth pedals and convert their signal to USB MIDI with the right channels etc. that I needed for my setup.

The small bluetooth pedals (theres two, only one is in the image) are called "BlueBoard" from IK Multimedia. The large one is a modified Behringer FCB-1010 with a Yamaha MDBT-01 MIDI-to-Bluetooth adapter inserted. These adapters are pretty awesome, they run off the power of the MIDI data signal alone, without any special MIDI power or external power needed.

As the MINIX also had a nice big WiFi antenna I thought I should use it to create a WiFi base station to connect to the X32 Rack which only has an Ethernet connection. After some back and forth that also worked out nicely and now I can run the MINIX just like some router type device, without monitor, keyboard or anything. With its flash-based storage it boots up in less than 30 seconds.

Why do I tell you this?
Because I thought there might be some people interested in this but mostly because I'm PROUD AS FUCK about this :) The details really took some time to get to work - I could tell some even more nerdy stories ;) Plus some things I found actually pretty mind blowing.

Things I really kind of had to wrap my mind around how awesome they are include:
- Literally only one rack that can easily be transported by two people (or one hefty one) contains EVERYTHING from mixer to guitar amps.
- Everything is completely wireless, except for the drummer who sits in place anyway and the singer who likes his cable for the mic.
- Even the pedals are wireless! :)
- Even the MIDI Guitar is wireless!!!oneeleven This is the biggest mind blow for me, using a normal AKG wireless transmitter.
- Complete in-ear monitoring. Nothing exactly new but awesome that it becomes affordable enough.
- The whole thing uses only about 120 Watts with everything running.

Cheers,
Normen
Last edited by normen on 16 Nov 2017, edited 5 times in total.

Dante

15 Nov 2017

Awesome ! This is the sort of thing I would think about if I was doing live. In fact I once had an all in one rack for rehearsal and recording but lo-tech 90th compared to now.

Dante

26 Nov 2017

What software runs on the iPad and what interface ?

normen

27 Nov 2017

The iPad really only runs the X-32 remote software to remote control the X-32 Rack mixer, no audio or MIDI there.

The screen on the picture is the touch screen for the MacMini running my MIDI guitar synths and will probably not be necessary on stage. Its more for programming sounds, switching happens through the Behringer pedal.

Dante

27 Nov 2017

Ok so the iPad connects to the mixer via WiFi ?

Quiloc Lim

27 Nov 2017

Wow..! That is really cool. Congrats on figuring all that out. After DJing in lots of odd ball places & dealing with loads of dodgy mixers & surly sound guys.... I feel your pain. Djing is way less of a pain in the ass than micing up & mixing a full band, so I'm really impressed with your set up. Great work. Two thumbs up.

normen

28 Nov 2017

Dante wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Ok so the iPad connects to the mixer via WiFi ?
Yes, the one that the MINIX PC creates :)

Thanks @Quiloc - yeah, it just gets annoying at some point so you just fix it for them...

WongoTheSane

28 Nov 2017

Awe-inspiring. I didn't know half of these things even existed. Suddenly realizing that the next generation will probably not know what a cable is, much like the current one has never seen a VHS...

normen

29 Nov 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Nov 2017
Awe-inspiring. I didn't know half of these things even existed. Suddenly realizing that the next generation will probably not know what a cable is, much like the current one has never seen a VHS...
Yeah, definitely :) Bluetooth MIDI is really a big step ahead. No latency like WiFi MIDI or OSC..

But yeah, I have already seen many people fail trying to use their bluetooth headsets and iPhone amp sims / synths together. It's not quite there because of latency etc. but as soon as it is you'll be seeing people whipping out of their pockets what I have in a 12-HU rack :)

AttenuationHz

29 Nov 2017

How much does that blue board retail at? I was looking to use a sustain pedal to open the plug-in windows of VST's on my master that might be just the thing. Currently have a sustain pedal opening an analyser window that is connected to my master keyboard. The only bother with that is when you select another device the VST window loses focus I'd say if it was on a separate keyboard or midi device it would not lose focus.

Is there anything similar that would retail for cheaper (usb) that you use a sustain pedal to switch between. I seen button ones but I'm not sure if they have midi and they would be killer when shoeless plus noisy!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

normen

29 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
29 Nov 2017
How much does that blue board retail at? I was looking to use a sustain pedal to open the plug-in windows of VST's on my master that might be just the thing. Currently have a sustain pedal opening an analyser window that is connected to my master keyboard. The only bother with that is when you select another device the VST window loses focus I'd say if it was on a separate keyboard or midi device it would not lose focus.

Is there anything similar that would retail for cheaper (usb) that you use a sustain pedal to switch between. I seen button ones but I'm not sure if they have midi and they would be killer when shoeless plus noisy!
It was about 85€, they also have a "BlueTurn" with only two buttons. What MIDI messages it puts out isn't very configurable though, so make sure you have a flexible destination. Basically its only Note On/Offs or Controllers at 0/127 on pressing / releasing.

Otherwise I don't know if theres USB MIDI devices with only one button on it - I guess it would make more sense to see if any of your existing MIDI devices have a foot switch input that you could use.

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

Really nice minimalistic and functionally setup. I love your approach to get rid of all the Kabelsalat.

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

How much money did you have to pay your band members to give up their favorite amp and effects?

normen

29 Nov 2017

Noplan wrote:
29 Nov 2017
How much money did you have to pay your band members to give up their favorite amp and effects?
None of us are really esoteric about gear. If it gets us there it gets us there :) That said I'd say in general the sound is better than with the typical small venue bands where the Marshall cab kills the ears of people standing right in front of it and sounds like mud for the others.

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Noplan wrote:
29 Nov 2017
None of us are really esoteric about gear. If it gets us there it gets us there :) That said I'd say in general the sound is better than with the typical small venue bands where the Marshall cab kills the ears of people standing right in front of it and sounds like mud for the others.
Lucky you! I play in a band full of esoteric gearjunkies. It goes so far that they can not accept my minimalism and force me to buy more miraculous gear.

normen

29 Nov 2017

Noplan wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Lucky you! I play in a band full of esoteric gearjunkies. It goes so far that they can not accept my minimalism and force me to buy more miraculous gear.
Mhm, its hard, I know - I usually am in the position where I have to deal with that on the other side... "Uhm, you done tweaking the knobs that end up in the same place anyway? Can we soundcheck?" ;)

But fewer and fewer pros give a hoot these days if its analog or not. They realize theres not much difference and they know its much less hassle. I guess thats why they try and peddle all that gear to consumers these days.. A friend who works for a bunch of german metal bands was backstage at a Megadeth gig and basically everything is done with an AxeFX (I think they switched to Kemper now). In general the whole show is pre-programmed, including the switching of guitar sounds, lights - EVERYTHING :)

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Noplan wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Mhm, its hard, I know - I usually am in the position where I have to deal with that on the other side... "Uhm, you done tweaking the knobs that end up in the same place anyway? Can we soundcheck?" ;)

But fewer and fewer pros give a hoot these days if its analog or not. They realize theres not much difference and they know its much less hassle. I guess thats why they try and peddle all that gear to consumers these days.. A friend who works for a bunch of german metal bands was backstage at a Megadeth gig and basically everything is done with an AxeFX (I think they switched to Kemper now). In general the whole show is pre-programmed, including the switching of guitar sounds, lights - EVERYTHING :)
The amp simulations are great these days. We have a Kemper, but I could not convince my guitarist to use it for gigs. He bought an Orange amp with money that he does not have. He does not even have the strength to carry it alone. :D And I don*t need to tell you about the Tretminen he has.

The only simplifying thing that happend in my band was the Roland TD-50KV V-Drum, but it seems that my drummer wants to switch to real drums again. :D

selig
RE Developer

29 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
Noplan wrote:
29 Nov 2017
Mhm, its hard, I know - I usually am in the position where I have to deal with that on the other side... "Uhm, you done tweaking the knobs that end up in the same place anyway? Can we soundcheck?" [emoji6]

But in the studio they still use amps. The reason to use stuff like Kemper live is for repeatability and reliability. Tube amps on the road are not the most reliable, even if you LOVE them in the studio! Tubes like to wiggle out of their sockets on the road… ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

29 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
29 Nov 2017
But in the studio they still use amps. The reason to use stuff like Kemper live is for repeatability and reliability. Tube amps on the road are not the most reliable, even if you LOVE them in the studio! Tubes like to wiggle out of their sockets on the road… ;)
In the studio they sometimes also route it through a hamster and the kitchen sink ;)

But even there I know about at least one story where a veteran metal guitarist tried to get a sound in the studio with all his gear he piled up over decades and just couldn't get what he wanted. Then somebody opened up Guitar Rig, dialed around a bit and with a cringe on his face the guitarist just went "oh well fuck it - this is it then".

I mean not that they re-recorded everything with Guitar Rig, just that part. But most people realize by now it's not really about "quality" with actual amps. You use it because you know what you get, you use it because it inspires you more to twiddle knobs than to move a mouse, you use it because you love that the 4x12 is LOUD and gives you feedback.. You don't NEED it to get some "magical sound".

AttenuationHz

29 Nov 2017

normen wrote:
29 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
29 Nov 2017

It was about 85€, they also have a "BlueTurn" with only two buttons. What MIDI messages it puts out isn't very configurable though, so make sure you have a flexible destination. Basically its only Note On/Offs or Controllers at 0/127 on pressing / releasing.

Otherwise I don't know if theres USB MIDI devices with only one button on it - I guess it would make more sense to see if any of your existing MIDI devices have a foot switch input that you could use.

Are the buttons separated? If a sustain pedal switches between each button and there is midi via bluetooth I's say it could be configured to switch between windows/midi CC#
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

selig
RE Developer

29 Nov 2017

BTW, impressive rack (tee hee). ;)

The X32 is an impressive mixer, I must say. I've only used the full version but spec'ed out a similar setup for a friend who wanted to play live "solo", with looping and FX. They never followed through, but the X32 rack version was the only mixer that came close to being able to handle this sort of setup IMO. We used the mixer similarly, playing live and mixing from the stage (sometimes it's the only way to go), and also needing rehearsals and gigs to use the same exact setup.

Hate to give props to Behringer, as they have not impressed me much in the past - but they absolutely nailed this one!
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

29 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
29 Nov 2017

The X32 is an impressive mixer, I must say. I've only used the full version but spec'ed out a similar setup for a friend who wanted to play live "solo", with looping and FX. They never followed through, but the X32 rack version was the only mixer that came close to being able to handle this sort of setup IMO. We used the mixer similarly, playing live and mixing from the stage (sometimes it's the only way to go), and also needing rehearsals and gigs to use the same exact setup.

Hate to give props to Behringer, as they have not impressed me much in the past - but they absolutely nailed this one!
Totally, I am using the Midas M32 every day, its basically the same software. The reverb emulations are awesome, the built-in multiple channels of transient designers is a gift for live drums, the compressor sounds really nice in auto mode. It really makes work quick and easy.

Noplan
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
29 Nov 2017

Yep, Behringer nailed it. Even the X Air Series are awesome and affordable with the same technologie as the X32. We use the XR18 and what i like about it is that you use it as a small ultralight stagebox and mixer. A must-have for bands that can manage 18 channels.

WongoTheSane

30 Nov 2017

If anyone is interested in discussing strict emulations, would you mind creating a specific thread for this? This one is to discuss the Friesenrack, not guitar amps that aren't in it. Thank you!

Edit: topic split.

Ostermilk

02 Dec 2017

This is fantastic.

I'm sure half of my aches and pains these days are due to sleeping in the back of a manky LWB Ford Transit van and trying to make enough space among the backline gear to get a comfortable night.

• Information