Computer Component Rising Prices

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
syncanonymous

27 Jan 2018

Well...I don't know exactly right now...probably around £2500/ $3550us (sterling is UP!!!) as a guess...with no monitor and the UPS...
I'll link the pcpartpicker once I modify that to match my changes
also, I expedited some deliveries which upped the cost...
for instance, the case...I wanted Titanium, but there was a 3 week wait.
plus, I got more to say about the build :-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

EnochLight

27 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Well...I don't know exactly right now...probably around £2500/ $3550us (sterling is UP!!!) as a guess...with no monitor and the UPS...
I'll link the pcpartpicker once I modify that to match my changes
also, I expedited some deliveries which upped the cost...
for instance, the case...I wanted Titanium, but there was a 3 week wait.
plus, I got more to say about the build :-)
I'm blown away you were able to find a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti at a decent price. Everyone seems to be out of them since all of the cyrpto-currency miners dried up the market.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

27 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Jan 2018
So, in the end, I chose Z370 i7 8700K. I am typing on it now...on a Gateway 2000 PS2 keyboard that's been shuffled around, unused since 2003 :roll:
After all the research I did, I went to pcpartpicker and started config-ing. That took about a 2 weeks to decide between x299 and Z370 builds, weighing up the various options.

It took about a week to for me to put all the parts together and my main stumbling block was case fan knowledge. If I was gonna start again today, I could probably put it all together in about 5-6 hrs.

I went all Noctua NF-A14 PWM after first ordering and installing NF-P14 FLX and the vendor is fine to exchange them. I have to say, my set up is FAR from silent with these Noctua fans all on their lowest settings (~500 RPM). As much as I wanted to go Xeon, the power consumption is pretty high and my house power is iffy as of now.

Because of the iffy power, I also purchase an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500. I went waaaay overboard on Seasonic Prime Platinum 850 power supply. I bring this up because I wanted to build a SILENT computer and the last thing I wanted was a noisy UPS & APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 is absolutely silent as far as I can tell and I am very sensitive.

The rest:
ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming
64 Corsair Vengeance LED 3000MHz (blue, it was the least expensive)
Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Kalmx (passive/ no fans)
Noctua NH-D15s cpu cooler
Cooler Master Mastergel Maker thermal paste
Samsung 960 Pro 500GB system drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB storage
Fractal Design R5 Black w/window
StarTech FW card (I have a bunch of FW stuff, particularly PreSonus FSM audio interface)
Win 10 Pro

Some notes about my green-ness.

The R5 case is really over kill, I could have gone with something much smaller. I suppose I was still in Xeon planning mode.
The case and PSU manufacturers have to have all the bases covered. Frankly, it is pretty amazing how the case manufacturer supplies that much well laid out tapped holes and fixings...more later...
Sync, some notes since I know you were going in a similar direction I took. Might help as you build since you can swap things now before you're stuck with them.

I didn't add any graphics card as I'm going pure DAW and didn't want the additional fan noise. I initially specced a GT 1030 2GB heatsink-only Video Card (most silent you can get with no worry for overheating) in case the on-board graphics weren't up to the 4k task, and once it was built and tested knew I wouldn't need it. Which worked out for the best since I wanted to keep the PCIe slot open for my 1616m (just in case!) or future updates.

Noctua fans are heavily reviewed as "Silent" however I've had ones in the past and the its pure marketing spin (though I almost did get another one to try). There may be good ones, however they have a much higher SPL at their lowest spin speeds, they just don't increase much as they spin more. I went with the lowest SPL I could find at minimal speed, and a side-mount to keep the minimal air flow consistent in the tower. Meaning I intended to keep most fans off, and want the air flow following in one direction inside so it could be maintained at the lowest speed.

Which is why I went with the mini atx in a mid tower -- for the intended air flow options. With more space inside, you have more room for any heat to dissipate around the components instead of having the steel right up close - its like your face in a tent vs your face with a blanket on top.

I went with the SFX power supply due to the lowest SPL at low to med load, and since its an SFX the thermal values are insanely low compared to any typical PSU. I ended up purchasing a longer 24pin cable as the one I had worked but was too tight if I ever did want to use the PCIe slot.

If you need any help or advice feel free to hit me up, I've done a few of these in my time. This build definitely tested my ability - there was nothing to go on but my experience for the most part. And it ended up far beyond my expectations thankfully.

On a side note, why was it so expensive? Mine ran about $1400. I know sometimes the Euro peeps get hit up for more but yours is 2x in equivalent currency. I lived in England for 4 years in the Air Force, I ended up paying about 1.5x more in equivalent for stuff over there.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

syncanonymous

27 Jan 2018

RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

EnochLight

27 Jan 2018

Serious question: What the shit are you doing that requires 64 GB of RAM??!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

syncanonymous

28 Jan 2018

bucketz of samples
I want HEADROOM

I will be doing some required architectural modelling too, hence the GFX card.
I also do film projects with all regions in preloaded in RAM.
I can afford it right now, so I maxed the machine :-)

I can experiment with cooling, too
so I may do a fanless build as well
I really enjoyed putting the components together, so I will probably carry on tinkering
I need to teach myself how to solder...which is next on the docket

EnochLight

28 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
28 Jan 2018
bucketz of samples
I want HEADROOM

I will be doing some required architectural modelling too, hence the GFX card.
I also do film projects with all regions in preloaded in RAM.
I can afford it right now, so I maxed the machine :-)

I can experiment with cooling, too
so I may do a fanless build as well
I really enjoyed putting the components together, so I will probably carry on tinkering
I need to teach myself how to solder...which is next on the docket
Gotcha. Doing that sort of work, I'm surprised you didn't go for the i9-7900X since budget wasn't an issue, especially with all of the architectural modelling (and video you likely do).

compare.jpg
compare.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 4987 times

syncanonymous

28 Jan 2018

I seriously severely vacillated over these two x299 and Z370 chipsets. Then I decided 350 currency units is almost disposable considering Z370 i9 will come down in price in the future and I wanted to go with the new chipset architecture because the coffee lake performance increase is fairly extreme.

Looking at single thread performance in your comparison; i7 8700 comes out on top and my main mixing DAW, Saw Studio is a single thread based design. The dev is currently porting to 64 bit....maybe he employs some HT, too. I didn't know about the i9 quad channel RAM, before I bought the i7 8700K, altho I doubt that would have changed my mind. Frankly, I wanted 128GB of RAM and that was another factor steering me at x299. I don't remember finding any usb-c ports on x299 mobos...and the Z370 Fatal1ty has a rear port and thunderbolt header.

Hot doggit! there is a lot to understand when spec-ing these computers! I have learned a heckuva lot.

The other MAJOR factor for me is the power supply to my house is flaky with common outages and throttled for our current tariff. We have electrical issues that will be corrected in the very near future...but for now I'd rather have less draw...plus lower power for heat/cooling reasons cuz I want a quiet machine.

The real big time overkill in my part list is the PSU...850 is well beyond my needs on this build. Research I did pointed me at really over-specing the PSU.

Seriously, I have a lot more to say about my build experience...I can't write it up just now tho :-)

EnochLight

28 Jan 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I seriously severely vacillated over these two x299 and Z370 chipsets. Then I decided 350 currency units is almost disposable considering Z370 i9 will come down in price in the future and I wanted to go with the new chipset architecture because the coffee lake performance increase is fairly extreme.

Looking at single thread performance in your comparison; i7 8700 comes out on top and my main mixing DAW, Saw Studio is a single thread based design. The dev is currently porting to 64 bit....maybe he employs some HT, too. I didn't know about the i9 quad channel RAM, before I bought the i7 8700K, altho I doubt that would have changed my mind. Frankly, I wanted 128GB of RAM and that was another factor steering me at x299. I don't remember finding any usb-c ports on x299 mobos...and the Z370 Fatal1ty has a rear port and thunderbolt header.

Hot doggit! there is a lot to understand when spec-ing these computers! I have learned a heckuva lot.

The other MAJOR factor for me is the power supply to my house is flaky with common outages and throttled for our current tariff. We have electrical issues that will be corrected in the very near future...but for now I'd rather have less draw...plus lower power for heat/cooling reasons cuz I want a quiet machine.

The real big time overkill in my part list is the PSU...850 is well beyond my needs on this build. Research I did pointed me at really over-specing the PSU.

Seriously, I have a lot more to say about my build experience...I can't write it up just now tho :-)
Cool. I'd be curious what your 850 PSU draws off the grid when it's idle. Did you check out the specs for that? Regardless, I'm sure that 8700K will treat you well.

syncanonymous

28 Jan 2018

well, I got the new box set up now at my workstation today.
Ya know, I spent a fair amount of time on cable management inside the box...but outside the box things aren’t nearly as pretty. I gotta test if the case noise is going to truly bother me...it is highly likely to send me off on a silent build...time will tell.

Anyhow, the APC Back-UPS 1500 will display the wattage, so I had a look. With no load on the new PC and a single Dell 24” monitor plugged into the UPS it was displaying between 100-130 watts. That APC 1500 number is misleading; it is rated at 865watts max IINM. So, possibly I can run many more devices than the minimum.

miscend

28 Jan 2018

Bitcoin mining has raised GPU prices and I’m in the market for an SSD and a GPU. I was thinking of getting either the GTX 1060 or 1070.

The prices are driving me to consider buying used on eBay.

syncanonymous

28 Jan 2018

So, I will continue on with some of my build ramblings in the event it helps someone.

What I actually spent was €3000\£2650\$3700US
now, that is a lot of money...BUT it is waaaaaaay below my £3500 budget. And I did by a full RSN 10 license on top of the build cost. I plan on running RSN on 2 computers at once at times. I’ll probably have to double up on some REs :-|

so, some foibles after the build in case it helps someone else.

I am proud to say that watched A LOT of Linus Tech Tips YT vids, and learned an immense amout. I couldn’t have done it without YT. I could have figured out how to put the parts together successfully...but I would have struggled to choose the parts in the first place. There is just so much to know that is changing fast.

1) The Seasonic Platinum PSU is treat of packaging. They include so much stuff: all the cables you’ll need, nice velcro ties, multiple high quality bags; the PSU is shipped in a velveteen branded bag! It is sheer class. BUT the 8 pin ATX power cable is too short for my liking for this build with the Fractal R5. It does work, but it is tight. Also, the 24 pin ATX main cable bundle’s shrink wrap is right where you need to bend the cable. That, and the USB 3 loom which doesn’t seat in the mobo very convincingly is in the R5 means it is very hard to use the R5 access holes for these 2 cable runs. It either is stressing the wires at the connector or the shrink wrap is blocking air. I’m not that concerned with looks, so I removed the middle drive bay chassis, ran the cables through a huge hole and velcro’d to the bottom of the top non-removable drive bays and it removes all the stress and ensures a quality mobo connection. I see the value in custom cabling and maybe some custom high end kits would sort this out.

2) locking the CPU in the mobo. I thought the mobo was gonna split! It really felt like I was doing something wrong. I quintuple checked. PC’s been running for about 5 days straight...temps at about 24 celsius.

3) Thermal Paste. I bought some Cooler Master stuff that I chose based on a video. The Noctua CPU cooler comes with high end paste included. Probly Wasted 10 currency units, there.

4) Rookie Stuff: I put everything together, put my new build in ready to go...and monitor wouldn’t come on. Back to the work table then :? To track the issue down, I read all kinds of internet suggestions. Forget that...once you have CPU cooler and RAM installed and a keyboard and monitor connected, start POSTing....add one component at a time...POST and check BIOS.

5) In my case, the Fatal1ty mobo LED code readout was a blessing and a curse. I think the ASRock documentation could be better. It took me a while to realize that the mobo LED readout was telling me the STATUS of the POST. At first I thought the codes shown were ERROR codes. The documentation is not clear.

6) the reason my integrated gfx wasn’t displaying was a mobo BIOS setting. Neither hdmi port was sending any signal. Only by putting the components in one at a time did I track down the issue. It was the video card.

7) Windows 10 Pro USB. I specifically purchased this because of my incredibly slow internet connection. No way did I want to wait 3 days with Windows OS DLing! Well, blow me down, there was no avoiding the 72hrs of Windows 10 internet hog. AND what a mess, dialog boxes on top of dialog boxes giving conflicting info about what updates need to happen when. To top it all off, I unwhittingly bought a French version (English version was about 3 times more expensive and much longer to be delivered). The OS version on the USB key was much more like Win Home than Pro. That said, now that all the updates are current, there are a lot more features.

so, I hope I helped someone with that novel :-)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2018

Nice feedback and I hope you enjoy your new system..

I'm still looking but not in a rush which is a nice position to be in :)

syncanonymous

29 Jan 2018

Psuper wrote:
27 Jan 2018
Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Kalmx (passive/ no fans)
I didn't add any graphics card as I'm going pure DAW and didn't want the additional fan noise. I initially specced a GT 1030 2GB heatsink-only Video Card (most silent you can get with no worry for overheating) in case the on-board graphics weren't up to the 4k task, and once it was built and tested knew I wouldn't need it. Which worked out for the best since I wanted to keep the PCIe slot open for my 1616m (just in case!) or future updates.

Noctua fans are heavily reviewed as "Silent" however I've had ones in the past and the its pure marketing spin (though I almost did get another one to try). There may be good ones, however they have a much higher SPL at their lowest spin speeds, they just don't increase much as they spin more. I went with the lowest SPL I could find at minimal speed, and a side-mount to keep the minimal air flow consistent in the tower. Meaning I intended to keep most fans off, and want the air flow following in one direction inside so it could be maintained at the lowest speed.

Which is why I went with the mini atx in a mid tower -- for the intended air flow options. With more space inside, you have more room for any heat to dissipate around the components instead of having the steel right up close - its like your face in a tent vs your face with a blanket on top.

I went with the SFX power supply due to the lowest SPL at low to med load, and since its an SFX the thermal values are insanely low compared to any typical PSU. I ended up purchasing a longer 24pin cable as the one I had worked but was too tight if I ever did want to use the PCIe slot.

If you need any help or advice feel free to hit me up, I've done a few of these in my time. This build definitely tested my ability - there was nothing to go on but my experience for the most part. And it ended up far beyond my expectations thankfully.

On a side note, why was it so expensive? Mine ran about $1400. I know sometimes the Euro peeps get hit up for more but yours is 2x in equivalent currency. I lived in England for 4 years in the Air Force, I ended up paying about 1.5x more in equivalent for stuff over there.
[/quote]

Hey PSuper,
When I was spec-ing I checked beck here and saw your build. I had pretty much decided on the same parts as you did before I read what you had built. All the research I did said to 8700K and I wanted an ASRock mobo.

Also, like you, I wanted silent as poss, so I looked for fanless GPU. The Palit 1050 Ti Kalmx was said to be the highest spec GPU w/o fans 2 weeks ago, so that’s what I got. So far, this box is running pretty cool. W/O OC, CPU temp is a pretty steady 24 degrees celsius. I have yet to really load it, tho.

RE: noise, it is pretty quiet. Today was the first day I spent any real time with it under my workstation desk and my old laptop is louder...and I have that laptop running quiet!

I have a full day on it tomorrow, getting drivers and tweaks and software ready for work. So far my soundcard card drivers aren’t behaving. I plugged it in before installing drivers...that mighta been a mistake...troubleshooting...oh boy

Expensive, yeah...it’s France! Have a look at my pcpartpicker. The RAM wasn’t too bad...the Samsung 960 Pro M.2 drive was pretty steep...and I bought a UPS.

Thanks for insights...I been lookin at Antelope, too...I wouldn’t know about them without you posting here. :thumbs_up:

syncanonymous

30 Jan 2018

OK, I just finished my first day with my new i7 8700K DAW and my first day with Reason 10. All I can say is WOW...complete freedom compared to where I was the past few years. Europa and Grain are killer and bucketz of new to me sounds. I haven’t tried any VSTs yet...

My top CPU temp was 38 celsius and I never got over 50% CPU load. GPU, too, is heaven...it isn’t much load, but navigation throughout is smooth and effortless. No clicks or pops or chugging...just lots of headroom. It is so inspirational to just freely use all the tools in the toolbox :mrgreen:

I am really happy I bought the UPS, too. In the middle of tracking today, we had like a 3 sec power outage and the PC stayed solid right thru as everything else in the house had a hiccup.

I can also confirm that I had my wifi on all day and I heard not a single click or pop. I am running PreSonus Firestudio Mobile at 128 samples with zero clovks and pops...I certainly couldn’t do that before...previously I didn’t dare go lower than 512.

I suppose I should go gush over on the General forum. Loving it!

Psuper

30 Jan 2018

Good Job Sync, yes jumping right in is the best, sometimes it can be a right pain even when you've built dozens of custom boxes if a component doesn't behave or something isn't set correctly. Definitely helps this day and age where info is right at your fingertips via videos review sites and forums for overall tips - few reservations should be had by anyone considering starting building their own. Once you get everything humming and know you're rocking a killer system you customized for 1/3 of the cost any "pro" company would charge - feels great.

miscend

31 Jan 2018

Are you guys using the stock intel cooler for your builds?

EnochLight

31 Jan 2018

miscend wrote:
31 Jan 2018
Not on my (ancient) build. Picked up a Enermax ETS-T40-TB. I'd never be able to air-cool and overclock on the stock Intel cooler...

If I were to build an i9 system today, I'd absolutely have to get a 3rd party cooling solution, and likely sealed water based. The thermal plate lid that covers the core of the i9 series has crappy thermal paste that doesn't create an efficient cooling surface. Many people have been de-lidding their CPU (which voids the warranty and risks destroying your chip) just to replace the thermal paste with something higher quality.

I don't think the OP's chip suffers from this, though.

Psuper

31 Jan 2018

miscend wrote:
31 Jan 2018
I used the Thermalright true spirit 140 cooler with thermal grizzly Kryonaut paste. Almost any paste is fine however, it matters far more how its applied.

syncanonymous

31 Jan 2018

I went all Noctua air and heat sink: NH-D15S. I believe good thermal paste is worth it too.

So far, this new machine is pretty quiet with mobo bios settings for fans on “silent” (approx 500 rpm). as I said before, my new build isn’t silent.

Also, I can probably run my whole editing rig off of the APC UPS...I will keep experimenting...so far it is drawing less than 200 watts with PC, 2 x 24in monitors, audio interface, cdrw (ugh, I know...spent all that coin and didn’t buy a dvd drive...I gonna remedy that)

EnochLight

01 Feb 2018

syncanonymous wrote:
31 Jan 2018
(ugh, I know...spent all that coin and didn’t buy a dvd drive...I gonna remedy that)
DVD drive? This isn’t 2002 - pick up a Blu-Ray drive instead - they’re super cheap!

syncanonymous

01 Feb 2018

hey man, the firewire Lacie CDRW I currently have connected is from 2002!
blu ray? I really don't need it for my purposes at the mo; They are not super cheap in France afaiaa...around 120euros without software.
I REQUIRE IMMEDIATELY a multi-region blu-ray player for my lounge/salon/living room projector...cheapest one I can find is 1000euros!
Region 2 Blu-Ray players are rampant here in France for around 80euros for the cheap ones...we do want multi region...at least region 1 and 2
I have seen lots of hacks on the avforums...but I don't really like the hack idea

Oquasec

01 Feb 2018

Yep. other areas are selling stuff higher than the actual manufacturer website these days cuz they can say it's all about convenience for pc parts.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

01 Feb 2018

Oquasec wrote:
01 Feb 2018
Yep. other areas are selling stuff higher than the actual manufacturer website these days cuz they can say it's all about convenience for pc parts.
Talking about region-free Blu-Ray players, it might be more regional licensing BS. I can pick up a region-free Blu-Ray player on Amazon, shipped in 2 days to my doorstep, for just $179 USD (which is about 143 Euro).

If that same deck is going for 1000 Euros in France, there's definitely some shady stuff going on!

syncanonymous

02 Feb 2018

Surely, I am just looking wrong
we are so caught up in buying cars XC70 being delivered today :-)
and getting the new DAW PC vsts working

• Information