Ableton Live 10

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Vince-Noir-99

02 Nov 2017

Coming soon... https://www.ableton.com/en/live/
New devices
M4L is now a part of Live
New interface...
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.09.06.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.09.06.jpg (623.31 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.12.08.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.12.08.jpg (450.68 KiB) Viewed 6721 times

Emian

02 Nov 2017

new devices AND workflow enhancements.....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

parma

02 Nov 2017

To be fair, the new devices and sound content are only in Suite. M4L might now be "integrated" but it's still Suite-only.
Standard Live only gets the UI/workflow stuff.
Suite retails for $749, Reason for $399.

EdGrip

02 Nov 2017

Tbf, they've had five years to make this update. For comparison, since Live 9 was released, Propellerheads released Reason 7, 8, 9 and 10. I'm just sayin' - don't get me wrong, I'm as excited about any new DAW version announcement as the next dork.

Tumble

02 Nov 2017

parma wrote:
02 Nov 2017
To be fair, the new devices and sound content are only in Suite. M4L might now be "integrated" but it's still Suite-only.
Standard Live only gets the UI/workflow stuff.
Suite retails for $749, Reason for $399.
That Max devices are now actually fully integrated is a big deal.

I considered them less viable than VSTs before, but it looks like they now might be on par with REs in terms of stability.

Will have to beta test this (RIP their servers - getting 500 KB/s with a 300/300 connection)

sdst
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2017

the groups within groups, and Edit multiple MIDI clips

I was waiting for something like that

Ahornberg

02 Nov 2017

sdst wrote:
02 Nov 2017
the groups within groups, and Edit multiple MIDI clips

I was waiting for something like that
perhaps they did a look at Bitwig

Marco Raaphorst

02 Nov 2017

Wondering what M4L integrated means. M4L came with Suite, at least in R9 but maybe even longer.

I am a Suite user.

There's not much about the GUI that could be improved imo. Live has the best workflow I know of for editing audio.

esselfortium

02 Nov 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
02 Nov 2017
There's not much about the GUI that could be improved imo. Live has the best workflow I know of for editing audio.
Is it possible to change the color scheme? I haven't used Live in some years now and I can't remember how customizable its UI is, but looking at that default black-on-dark-gray is really hard on the eyes.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Marco Raaphorst

02 Nov 2017

esselfortium wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Is it possible to change the color scheme? I haven't used Live in some years now and I can't remember how customizable its UI is, but looking at that default black-on-dark-gray is really hard on the eyes.
yes totally. works great.

Ahornberg

02 Nov 2017

Regardless the color scheme...Live it looks like Lego.

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2017

Please, no more excuses for Propellerhead.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

miscend

02 Nov 2017

How does the new Wavetable synth compare to Europa?

I’m no Live user but a lot of this new stuff sounds like things that Bitwig already does.

Ahornberg

02 Nov 2017

I took a look at the new Push features and they look similar to NI Maschine MK3. Both controllers are so integrated into their software that's really amazing.

"Capture" is also an innovative feature.

jp8080

02 Nov 2017

Lol, does this sound familiar or what? From KVR:

"Funny, I was thinking that this was an underwhelming update for the big 10. There is a lot of 'stuff' there, but I was realty expecting more DAW features rather than new instruments (as fun as that wavetable synth looks, I have Serum, Avenger, Falcon etc), maybe I have just skim read it and there is a lot more I am missing...but I don't see any new 'killer' feature or workflow, just more stuff."

- AND -

"I would have preferred they focused on basic functionality improvements rather than adding a load of new plugins I already have covered 10 times over."

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=493817

sdst
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2017

jp8080 wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Lol, does this sound familiar or what? From KVR

is because most of users prefer improvements in the DAW

at this point everyone has vst synth and effects

I prefer to be able to hide mixer channels than a new synth

Exowildebeest

02 Nov 2017

Finally an Ableton update. Took them how many years?
Automate with greater control using grid snapping and other improved breakpoint interactions.
Finally. This was one of my major annoyances. Now if only you could move clips and automation clips around seperately and non-destructively...

All in all seems like a good update, I might be getting it, even if I use Ableton less and less (mostly for mastering, as Reason makes the project files too damn big to save multiple versions without worry).

MarkTarlton

02 Nov 2017

lots of new features!

the capture one is at the top...ever jam on an idea and forget to hit record and than once you do you forget it? not anymore! this feature will save lots of ideas from the ether :)

collection, drum buss, echo with very cool m/s option, pedal(super cool fuzz!), and new automation and multi editing!!!

I am now spending much more time in this software :)

Tumble

02 Nov 2017

miscend wrote:
02 Nov 2017

I’m no Live user but a lot of this new stuff sounds like things that Bitwig already does.

Oscillator effects - 3 morph modes with 2 modulators in each (FM: amount and tuning, Modern: Warp and fold, Classic: PW and sync)
A lot of wavetables - can't load your own, though.
Dual filters with serial, parallel and split routing
6 unison modes - Classic, Shimmer, Noise, Phase Sync, Position Spread and Random Note
8 voices (...)
2 envelopes and 2 LFOs

Good, but hardly revolutionary. Europa is arguably more interesting due to the MSEGs, modulators, spectral filter and pre-routed mod knobs (such a simple, yet powerful thing).

EdGrip

02 Nov 2017

Still, it's lovely that arguably the two most EDM DAWs now come with a good wavetable synth built in (although admittedly with Suite at a higher price point).

Tumble

02 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Tbf, they've had five years to make this update. For comparison, since Live 9 was released, Propellerheads released Reason 7, 8, 9 and 10. I'm just sayin' - don't get me wrong, I'm as excited about any new DAW version announcement as the next dork.
It does put things in perspective regarding Reason, for sure. Don't get me wrong, this is a good update; They've adressed some important things, but they've also chosen to add filler (a Space Echo and a drumgoodizer? zZzzz....) where there could have been interesting, more forward-thinking stuff instead.

EdGrip

02 Nov 2017

I like the new non-italic font.

miscend

02 Nov 2017

Tumble wrote:
02 Nov 2017
miscend wrote:
02 Nov 2017

Oscillator effects - 3 morph modes with 2 modulators in each (FM: amount and tuning, Modern: Warp and fold, Classic: PW and sync)
A lot of wavetables - can't load your own, though.
Dual filters with serial, parallel and split routing
6 unison modes - Classic, Shimmer, Noise, Phase Sync, Position Spread and Random Note
8 voices (...)
2 envelopes and 2 LFOs

Good, but hardly revolutionary. Europa is arguably more interesting due to the MSEGs, modulators, spectral filter and pre-routed mod knobs (such a simple, yet powerful thing).
Seen. It seems a theme with both Bitwig and Ableton, the stock synths are serviceable but unremarkable. You don’t buy Ableton for the synths.

miscend

02 Nov 2017

EdGrip wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Reason has had a lot more new features in 5 years. But don’t forget you’ve had to pay more than 5x the amount in upgrade fees. Whereas Live had free point updates and Push had two versions.

jlgrimes

03 Nov 2017

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Coming soon... https://www.ableton.com/en/live/
New devices
M4L is now a part of Live
New interface...

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.09.06.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 14.12.08.jpg
Seems like a good update. They made alot of improvements GUI, feature, and device wise. It seems like they tried to please a pretty wide user base and seems like they are pleasing many.

I doubt their new synth is as good as Europa but I'm happy that Ableton made improvements to the many aspects of the program (Sequencing, GUI, Browser, Sounds/Instruments, ArrangeView, Audio).

Only gripe is that there is no comping but they still seemed to add enough in other areas to make a decent upgrade.

Now upgrade is more expensive than Reason's (for suite) and it took them awhile but at the same time Ableton made a lot of nice improvements during the minor releases of 9 (fixed PDC, better filters in the samplers, synths, effects)

• Information