What Video Software you'd recommend?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
deepndark

18 Oct 2017

I have a Pinnacle Studio 14, but might consider another one. So is there anything, that feels the same as Reason for music? I want something that is versatile, easy to use, with lots of effects maybe? It doesn't need to be an industry standard, like Pro Tools is in music app world. I'd rather use something I want to learn and use. Thanks!

tt_lab

18 Oct 2017

What do you need it for?
If you need a sequencer Premier would be a good choice.
If you want to do VJ motion dive .tokyo is a good one.
If you need a composition software, After fx or Nuke are great softwares
Of course there are alternatives to these.

QVprod

18 Oct 2017

DaVinci resolve is getting a lot of positive reviews. There's well featured free version too.

sublunar

18 Oct 2017

Totally depends what you're going for.

Premiere for industry standard video editing.
Sony Vegas for a much easier to use video editing software that does everything you'd need it to do.

If I was to say there was a Reason of the video world, it might be:
Resolume.

I took a class in video editing with Premiere. But I prefer to use Vegas for most things because Premiere is a pain in the ass.

If i had more free time and cash, I'd be doing some weird stuff with Resolume.

deepndark

21 Oct 2017

Thanks everyone. Vegas would be cool, but it's a bit pricey for now. I need to demo out these suggestions. :thumbs_up:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2017

I use powerdirector and VideoStudio.

PowerderDirector I find very quick to produce things.

VideoStudio is very good with effects mainly because of Boris FX.

These are not pro video tools, but I'm help with the results for the price.

deepndark

24 Oct 2017

Well, I tried few of the suggested apps, Resolve was saying something about not having CUDA GPU, Resolume had an installation error and my Pinnacle is piece of shit, as it is impossible to use it for lots of reasons. I ended up going to cnet download and see what they have, because I needed something to build up a video for PH-Reason 10 challenge. I tried NCH VideoPad Professional and it was actuallly so good for making videos that I bought it off. I haven't tried Vegas yet, but of course, I will demo it at some point. But yeah, VideoPad is awesome for it's logical behaviour.

EdGrip

24 Oct 2017

I got quite fluent on Lightworks for straight-up editing, and it's very nice to use for that - but its support and development is a bit vague and it's getting hard to have confidence in the developers.

I'm learning Resolve instead now. It's scoring high on the "can I do X without having to look it up in the manual" usability test.

I tried both Premiere and Vegas in years gone by, and didn't get on with them at the time. I'm sure both have changed beyond recognition. I'm still in a "Boycott Adobe" mood.

My instinct would be to avoid any video editing software that doesn't have its sights set squarely on professional use - lower tier "movie maker" apps for home videos.
I feel if I can learn the pro software, I should just do that - especially when it's free! I don't want to suddenly find I need to do something that's beyond the scope or capabilities of the software I'm using, meaning I have to start learning the software I should have just learned in the first place.
I'd rather be barely scratching the surface of some very capable software, than bumping into limitations of less capable software. I don't mind a learning curve.

I know PowerDirector is well regarded, but I enjoy the confidence that knowing the potential of a piece of software gives, if that makes sense?

As with any software - learn the keyboard commands! :D

VDJ stuff, I've no idea!

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2017

I've been using Blender for a while, it has a node editor that looks like logic.
But if you think Premiere is a pain, double that for blender...

Aosta

24 Oct 2017

I used Sony Vegas for years. It is a very good program but the thing that let me down most with it was it's lack of any good stabilization tool and export options. Haven't used it since V11 so things might have changed?
Tend the flame

sublunar

24 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
18 Oct 2017
DaVinci resolve is getting a lot of positive reviews. There's well featured free version too.
I totally missed this. Davinci Resolve has a free version. That would be amazing. It's confusing trying to find out the limitations of the free version though. Anyone here have experience using it?

EdGrip

24 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
24 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
18 Oct 2017
I totally missed this. Davinci Resolve has a free version. That would be amazing. It's confusing trying to find out the limitations of the free version though. Anyone here have experience using it?
As far as I can tell, the differences are mainly to do with live collaborative work features and 3D. There are no limits on output formats or anything like that. Resolve used to be a purely colour grading program, and was and is the industry standard for that. The editing features are a comparatively new addition, but they mean business. Their intent is to sell lots of editing and colour-grading console hardware to professional editors. Giving the software out for free is part of that plan.

sublunar

24 Oct 2017

Yeah that's why I overlooked them initially, I thought they were just color grading software. I'm seriously interested in switching to them. Free video editing software from blackmagic? Hell yeah, I'll bite.

However.. I installed it on my work laptop and it won't load. Keeps crashing. I'll try on my personal laptop and see if I have any better luck.

kuhliloach

24 Oct 2017

fyi HitFilm Express 2017 is free with registration

• Information