UAD-2 Octo PCIe Card

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Faxxer

15 Oct 2017

Hello friends....

I looked / searched the forum search threads for an answer to this but didn't see one. I'm hoping I can get some good answers here about this...

Questions:
1. Does the UAD-2 PCI card take ALL DSP onto itself or just SHARE the load with the cpu? Is it a setting?

2. Does the UAD-2 PCIe card work with Reason and show actual improvement on the DSP bar?

3. I've seen "hints" that the UAD card ONLY works with UAD plugins....THAT would be totally lame and useless for Reason users correct? (I mean how many UAD plugins are there compared to RE's?)

I guess i'm trying to find ways to boost DSP vs upgrade computer. I'm looking for RAW Dsp power to throw reason at, ya know?

~ike
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

normen

15 Oct 2017

Yes, UAD accelerators only „accelerate“ their own plugins. Its not like the DSP chips „magically“ can process the audio. Whats happening behind the scenes is pretty much exactly the same as you routing the audio through an audio interface into some analog hardware and then back into the DAW, just that the „analog hardware“ is DSPs in this case.

Ignore the „offload from your CPU“ nonsense. DSPs are NOT faster than CPUs, they‘re just lower latency. For the UAD ecosystem the DSP thing is mainly a copy protection, except for the Apollo interfaces where the low latency actually makes sense and can be used.

• Information