Rewire Tips/Tricks (Ableton)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
w1pl0c

10 Oct 2017

This is my first post, but I would like a place to post/collect how people use rewire with reason and ableton.

I send reason's master out into rewire channels 1/2 and resample in ableton to capture loop clips.

I feel like it gives me the best of both DAWs, because I love arranging/cv/routing possibilities/combinators in reason and I also love clips/effects racks/instrument racks.

There are a million things that can be done with rewire, but it can get mucky and I would just like a place where people can post useful tips/tricks.

Also I have a few I would like to share....

w1pl0c

25 Jul 2018

Ableton + Reason in Tandem (No Rewire)

Cool way to send loops back and forth between applications.
(Have to Open Reason first, then Ableton)

Benefits: lite on CPU usage. Able to focus on one application at a time. Just export the loops to same folder from both programs. Quick way to generate tooooooooons of content. Tip: Hot key for exporting loops.

I run on mac and have ableton on one desktop and reason on another.

It REALLY maximizes Ableton Clips. And APC 40.

Tips:
1. Make sure to pause playback of the other program not in use.
2. Set Reason sync mode to 'Ableton Link'. It's a way to sync tempo, but you can always stretch the audio afterwards.
3. Bonus points for loopback audio interfaces ;)

SEND IT!

bik44

26 Jul 2018

w1pl0c wrote:Ableton + Reason in Tandem (No Rewire)

You can set -ReWireMasterOff in Ableton’s Options.txt and open applications in whatever order you want.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

w1pl0c

26 Jul 2018

bik44 wrote:
26 Jul 2018
w1pl0c wrote:Ableton + Reason in Tandem (No Rewire)

You can set -ReWireMasterOff in Ableton’s Options.txt and open applications in whatever order you want.

Thanks for the tip!

primitiveworker

27 Jul 2018

My needs are kind of specific: live performance with live arranging. If I were arranging in the sequencer I wouldn't use Ableton at all.

I also use Reason + Ableton (no rewire) with Link. But I don't use any audio in Ableton, I only use Ableton as a midi sequencer to drive the Reason rack. Love the Reason mixer.

I use a Novation LaunchPadPro attached to Ableton so it feels kind of like a hardware midi sequencer and I never even look at the Ableton screen.

I'm evaluating DAW controllers and I'm very likely going to add a Behringer X-Touch plus Extender so I'll never have to look at Reason (when performing) either.

bik44

27 Jul 2018

primitiveworker wrote:My needs are kind of specific: live performance with live arranging.
From my experience nothing is better for this than Ableton with Push and Reason ReWired if needed.
But.... since two week I have Octatrack and Analog Four and I have to say this is next level of playing live, improvise, arranging etc.
Now I’m experimenting with Reason as unlimited effects box and sound source sequenced and controlled remotely from Octatrack. Reason syncing nicely as a slave.

• Information