Reason 10 "upgrade" vs Studio One 3 Artist. Other potential line-ups?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Psuper

08 Oct 2017

Since I'm in the "What other options are there for my $130", I think I discovered my best option 'upgrade path' after much consideration of options. Might be something for many of you who are in a similar boat, and I'm interested in your thoughts.

Currently my plan is purchasing Studio One 3 Artist for $99, saving $30 and getting far far more for the money. Reason 9.5 goes pure native (no vst within it), and slave in my new DAW (like it was for years, seems it's heading back).

I've tried my best to work strictly within reason, it's just not worth it anymore; constantly playing musical chairs with windows and sizing, it's just a chore for most resolutions and is insanely tiny on the 4k road ahead. Not even taking into consideration other workflow and performance options many of us expected by now by Propellerhead. If Reason 10 includes the interface update it's been needing for 10 years, I may reconsider but this path is looking MIGHTY sweet right now with what I'm getting from S1. And if I enjoy it enough, I'll upgrade to s1 pro which seems likely.

I've worked with PT, Sonar, Reaper, FL, have keyboards going back to the CZ1 M1 days, had 4 track recorders, hardware racks, midi controllers, drum machines, gig'd, you name it. I make MIDI and Vocal recordings, everything else (designing sounds, sampling, etc) is just for my personal fun.

Seems to me this might be hard to beat. Anyone else have some alternate "upgrade paths" that have merit for similar needs?

Background in case you missed it: I use Reason because it's genuinely fun to tinker with: It's enjoyable building sounds and effects. However 95% of my *real* music is piano and voice, something most people never would choose Reason for. I've always liked Reason since it stood out from the pack and brought a conventional hardware experience to software. I've had my fair share of hardware, some I still use (most not), so I'm biased and want to make Reason work for everything I'd need.

Hoewever, UI is #1, and Performance #2. That's what I personally care to see with any new updates. Reason has one of the worst UIs possible for smooth unhindered workflow, always has been their worst aspect in my book, too large before, too small now. I've used a ton of DAWs, and Reason is by far the most fun when just tinkering and messing around with the racks, but the worst when getting serious about making music.

I'm to the point I might just head another DAW direction with pure performance and workflow in mind, thinking the Props may never address the elephant in the room for the last 10 years. I haven't begun looking around, but I may after I see this update roll out and I know what we're getting or not.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

xylyx

08 Oct 2017

Just be aware that the Artist version of Studio One does not include VST support without the purchase of an add-on...

stratatonic

08 Oct 2017

Psuper wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Currently my plan is purchasing Studio One 3 Artist for $99, saving $30 and getting far far more for the money. Reason 9.5 goes pure native (no vst within it), and slave in my new DAW (like it was for years, seems it's heading back).
xylyx wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Just be aware that the Artist version of Studio One does not include VST support without the purchase of an add-on...
Well, there goes that great "plan"...

It's on sale here though, but now you're paying $50 more instead of saving $30 to get "far far more for the money"
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1VSTRewireExp

If you wait until Black Friday, Presonus will likely have it all on sale. Then you can go back to doing it "like it was for years".

And you don't have to "upgrade" or buy anything at all.

Psuper

08 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Psuper wrote:
08 Oct 2017
xylyx wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Well, there goes that great "plan"...

It's on sale here though, but now you're paying $50 more instead of saving $30 to get "far far more for the money"
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1VSTRewireExp

If you wait until Black Friday, Presonus will likely have it all on sale. Then you can go back to doing it "like it was for years".

And you don't have to "upgrade" or buy anything at all.
xylyx wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Appreciate the info, xylyx, I've been primarily eying S1 Pro so never finalized what I'd need with Artist, only that the interface, midi editing, workflow and performance is top notch and what I'm looking for. Regardless, I've used midiloopback for years which makes it a non issue, still do. VSTs run like crap in Reason and far better running them via a port, and I only use Pianoteq in that regard.

As for not having to 'upgrade', Strat, you're completely wrong there. Propellerhead Reasons interface is a juggling nightmare at all resolutions, and a spec at 4k. Not many apps these days exist that can claim their interface sucked for 10 iterations and still lives to tell the tale, too large for years, too small today.

I need to 'upgrade' to a DAW interface that helps, not hinders. I just didn't realize how badly I wanted to until I saw R10 with new synths and sounds I don't need. Again I'm waiting until I see what R10 brings, however it seems pretty clear it's not the improved workflow, interface, editing, or performance people have been asking for.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2017

Maybe give mu.lab a look as well. I used to use its predecessor Muzys back in the day.

Ahornberg

08 Oct 2017

I don't understand why a UI that fitted your needs for 10 years now doesn't do it any more. What do you mean by an interface that helps, not hinders?

Psuper

08 Oct 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
08 Oct 2017
I don't understand why a UI that fitted your needs for 10 years now doesn't do it any more. What do you mean by an interface that helps, not hinders?
It never fit my needs, it fit my moods. It wasn't even considered a DAW until it got native 'audio' recording, then it became my task to use it more as a DAW and less as an instrument/effects chain. Then it came out with native VST, yet Reason runs VST's horribly -- we get better performance using the midiloopback workaround that's kept Reason on my PC to begin with for the last few years.

I've used many DAWS over the years, I simply enjoy Reason due to the aforementioned reasons in my OP. It's always been fun to play with. However it needs an interface that scales well with monitor resolution, and has needed one since the beginning. It needs an update that includes performance, workflow, GUI and editing improvements, and needed it yesterday.

Psuper

08 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
08 Oct 2017
Maybe give mu.lab a look as well. I used to use its predecessor Muzys back in the day.
Thanks Ava , Not sure what to make of it. Instantly gave me the KX Project vibe of the Soundblaster days. I like modular stuff.

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

So good luck with Studio One.

Ostermilk

09 Oct 2017

I don't even have to think about stuff like this until S1 v4 appears as I get updates until then. The Reason 10 update looks appealing to warrant the £99 and I'll be happy.

QVprod

09 Oct 2017

There actually is an option to buy vst support for Studio One Artist. It's $74 though. Much more than you'll pay for the Reason upgrade. Studio One Artist by itself won't compare to Reason.

That said. I own Studio One 3 Pro and still make most of my music in Reason. I mainly use S1 for recording/mixing.

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I own Studio One 3 Pro and still make most of my music in Reason.
Yes, so true! And there's a lot of optimizing potential in Reason's VST performance (when it comes to VST performance Ableton seems to be the best of all DAWs I know so far).

QVprod

09 Oct 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I own Studio One 3 Pro and still make most of my music in Reason.
Yes, so true! And there's a lot of optimizing potential in Reason's VST performance (when it comes to VST performance Ableton seems to be the best of all DAWs I know so far).
Ableton's vst performance is quite good. I hate the sequencer though. I considered it as a Mainstage alternative once. I run Ableton every now and then go running tracks live.

EdGrip

09 Oct 2017

Presonus offer a crossgrade discount if you already own another DAW, including Reason. You might have to search for it.

If it were me, mainly recording voice and (live acoustic) piano, I'd download Studio One Prime, learn it, and see how you get on with it for audio - I find it better than Reason for pure audio editing, and I keep it on the computer for that.
I wouldn't bother with Studio One Artist, I'd just get the full program when it's on sale.
I had some weird problems during the trial period, and was put off.

Psuper

09 Oct 2017

Hmm that didn't even cross my mind Ed, thanks for the heads up. I've tried S1 Prime seems about right, may go back to reaper though as I used it for a long time, just didn't like the midi editing in it, was hoping to get one package to do it all smoothly.

Much prefer Reason to get with it on their Interface of course, but that's not my call.

LiberalTugboat

11 Oct 2017

Don't forget, Studio One Artist is included with most PreSonus Audio Interfaces. You can buy a Refurb Audiobox iOne, which includes Studio One Artist, direct from PresSonus for $70 bucks. Either from their shop or Ebay Store:
https://shop.presonus.com/products/hard ... e-Platinum
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PreSonus-AudioB ... 2615334641
That will save you $30 bucks and throw in a free audio interface. Hope this helps.

Oquasec

11 Oct 2017

Decided to stick with reaper for composing and all the little customizable things it has for it's daw.
Then decided to stop using Reason as a main composing tool, and now a giant modular rack with an mpc built into it.

Studio one was also a very great daw, you would not go wrong with a pro license if you planned on switching.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Psuper

12 Oct 2017

LiberalTugboat wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Don't forget, Studio One Artist is included with most PreSonus Audio Interfaces. You can buy a Refurb Audiobox iOne, which includes Studio One Artist, direct from PresSonus for $70 bucks. Either from their shop or Ebay Store:
https://shop.presonus.com/products/hard ... e-Platinum
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PreSonus-AudioB ... 2615334641
That will save you $30 bucks and throw in a free audio interface. Hope this helps.
Nice I wasn't aware, great tip mate appreciate it!

xylyx

13 Oct 2017

There are also a number of people selling S1 Pro on KvR for around $170, so that is always another option...

• Information