Bluetooth MIDI: Sounds fine during recording, but notes are offset in MIDI lane after

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

22 Sep 2017

So I'm using a Roli Seaboard Block.
It is connected via Bluetooth and the latency I hear before and during recording is fine: very minimal.

However, during playback, it's completely off; missing the first bit and everything else is offset.
This is with a single instance of anything.

Everything during recording is fine. The notes play as I play them (both audibly and via note indicator on the Kong). So why the different results at playback?

[EDIT] I can see the notes recorded into the sequencer late as I play them when recording. As in, they are appearing a little bit behind the playhead. Again however, the notes while recording sound fine and the note indicator on the devices look fine.

normen

22 Sep 2017

Thats funny. Just to check that it's not something else - did you try the same project with a normal MIDI controller?

normen

22 Sep 2017

Generally I suppose you know that DAWs record "what you hear" including the latency - meaning that if you play with software monitoring and are dead on (physically on the keyboard) the recording will be late by your systems latency. Maybe try turning off software monitoring to see if thats the issue. Maybe with all the latency compensation stuffs Reason had some bug where its calculated latency for the audio device is off.

joeyluck

22 Sep 2017

normen wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Thats funny. Just to check that it's not something else - did you try the same project with a normal MIDI controller?
Thanks for the suggestion. I did check. Just hooked up my Korg MicroKey and had no issues. I also checked the Seaboard Block via USB and no issues either. But just weird that the results I hear during recording would be so different from what it actually records. I'm new to Bluetooth MIDI.

I added a note above that I can see the notes recorded into the sequencer late as I play them when recording. As in, they are appearing a little bit behind the playhead. Again however, the notes while recording sound fine and the note indicator on the devices look fine.

joeyluck

22 Sep 2017

Ok. So now I'm getting this error message:

MIDI input about to overflow! Your computer isn’t fast enough to handle MIDI input at this high rate.

Perhaps this is part of the issue? I'm still only working with single instances of instruments.

I'm not having any issues at all in Garageband when recording. I have MPE on the Seaboard turned off and it is in 'piano' mode. So it's not sending a ton of MIDI information aside from notes. I also have disabled automation recording for that lane.

normen

23 Sep 2017

Could it be that theres some loopback in your setup? Maybe an unused MIDI device in your Reason settings hijacked the Seaboard port?

miah8000

19 Sep 2018

I just had the exact same thing happen while using an Akai LPD8 via bluetooth. I'd hit a note, and the position indicator would be 1/2-2 bars ahead of where the note would appear. Also The note would be held for a full bar, then when released, it would shorten to a quarter or half. During playback, it would be completely out of time. After this, I also got the Midi Overflow message. I've never seen this with any USB connected devices.

I ended up restarting Audio Midi setup (mac), Reason, and the controller several times and then, magically, it would work properly again.

Troublemecca

18 Jan 2019

tbh a selling point of the seaboard block was that it was wireless... I got a Mac, so I could use it wirelessly... here I am using a wire because I get some stupid computer too slow message (which I managed to defeat by constantly going back to the Dashboard app so that it would hold onto the single channel profile I selected) but there is this ridiculous latency I hear upon listening to a recording (which is so weird because it's fine during recording)... like seconds of latency...

300$ and I'm stuck taking up a USB port anyway...

joeyluck

18 Jan 2019

Troublemecca wrote:
18 Jan 2019
tbh a selling point of the seaboard block was that it was wireless... I got a Mac, so I could use it wirelessly... here I am using a wire because I get some stupid computer too slow message (which I managed to defeat by constantly going back to the Dashboard app so that it would hold onto the single channel profile I selected) but there is this ridiculous latency I hear upon listening to a recording (which is so weird because it's fine during recording)... like seconds of latency...

I wonder if there's something wrong with the way Reason is handling Bluetooth MIDI. I never got the issue resolved with Reason. Bluetooth MIDI works fine with all other software including GarageBand.

Troublemecca

21 Jan 2019

joeyluck wrote:
Troublemecca wrote:
18 Jan 2019

I wonder if there's something wrong with the way Reason is handling Bluetooth MIDI. I never got the issue resolved with Reason. Bluetooth MIDI works fine with all other software including GarageBand.
Good to know... Logic might be on the menu

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

joeyluck

21 Jan 2019

Troublemecca wrote:
21 Jan 2019
joeyluck wrote:
Good to know... Logic might be on the menu

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Not to mention it has MPE support, which you also get with GarageBand...

• Information