Scratch Disk Advise

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pushedbutton

17 Sep 2017

I've been working on a track that has a lot of audio and the blue light comes up to tell me my disk is too slow to access all the tracks and I start to get dropouts.
Originally i had my HDD storage drive set up as my scratch disk and I thought using my SSD would be better, it was for one session than I came back to it today and I'm getting the same problem plus 'save and optimise' just sits there doing nothing until I cancel it.
So logically I'm thinking a third drive, another SSD would probably be a sensible purchase so I look into it and the advice on line is that using an SSD as a scratch disk is likely to kill it pretty quickly.
So what do I look for?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Gorgon

18 Sep 2017

If you'd use a dedicated regular HDD as a scratch drive, it should work pretty well, considering it will start out as empty.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

O1B

18 Sep 2017

HDD. SSD. but what kinds/speeds?... old/new? Computer SATA speeds.. ??

Old SSDs have "storage limitations," write/rewrite issues, - and die.
When I used the HDD/SSD setup - the HDD as the scratch was the way to go. [for DELETE-ing] -
saving those awesome Read/Write SSD Speeds for the DAW.

But, one by one the old SSDs died. Using another V1/2 SSD only prolongs the agony a little longer.

These days, a proper single SSD system has none of these issues.
Consider: 1-300 R/W speeds to 2-3000 solves a lot of issues.

And, stop wasting $$ on broken AMPs.

A third drive? A second SSD? How old is your computer.
Those SSDs will start to add up to a new one.

I owned this one's older brother... Hope they make the cheaper ones better these days for you:
pushedbutton wrote:
17 Sep 2017
I've been working on a track that has a lot of audio and the blue light comes up to tell me my disk is too slow to access all the tracks and I start to get dropouts.
Originally i had my HDD storage drive set up as my scratch disk and I thought using my SSD would be better, it was for one session than I came back to it today and I'm getting the same problem plus 'save and optimise' just sits there doing nothing until I cancel it.
So logically I'm thinking a third drive, another SSD would probably be a sensible purchase so I look into it and the advice on line is that using an SSD as a scratch disk is likely to kill it pretty quickly.
So what do I look for?

pushedbutton

18 Sep 2017

Well it looks like I can fit an M.2 drive straight to my motherboard... I'll do that then.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

Gorgon

19 Sep 2017

pushedbutton wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Well it looks like I can fit an M.2 drive straight to my motherboard... I'll do that then.
That would be the fastest drive. A bit silly to use that as scratch.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

pushedbutton

19 Sep 2017

yeah but it would also be the smallest. it'll come in handy for rendering videos too.

Oquasec

19 Sep 2017

I'll wait till I can get a 2Tb ssd for 100$.
Till then Ima stick to saving up for a 4Tb hdd at 100$.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

O1B

19 Sep 2017

Sounds like the usual plan round these 'parts'
Oquasec wrote:
19 Sep 2017
I'll wait till I can get a 2Tb ssd for 100$.
Till then Ima stick to saving up for a 4Tb hdd at 100$.

• Information