VCV Rack, an open-source virtual Eurorack

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
fieldframe
RE Developer

11 Sep 2017

https://vcvrack.com

Just released at KnobCon, with a pretty decent starting library of free modules. I wonder how this will compare to Reaktor Blocks... Reaktor is definitely much further along in terms of advanced modules (Kodiak blocks, some of the more exotic user-created ones), and Reaktor's structure view is both more powerful and less intuitive than VCV's pure Eurorack front-patching.

Trefor

12 Sep 2017

It looks really interesting. I've just downloaded it and intend trying it out in the next couple of days. Funny, I was looking at Euroracks just the other day and thought it might be fun to play around with them, now I get the opportunity to try them out in a virtual way.

Loque

17 Sep 2017

Pretty cool thing. Bad thing is, there are rare tutorials and no documentation, but i get it going and it produces cool sounds, especially with FM. For a simple synth setup it may get complicated. And it took me 5 mind to find a bug and i needed to restart it. But well, it's free.
Reason12, Win10

fotizimo

17 Sep 2017

Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2017
Pretty cool thing. Bad thing is, there are rare tutorials and no documentation, but i get it going and it produces cool sounds, especially with FM. For a simple synth setup it may get complicated. And it took me 5 mind to find a bug and i needed to restart it. But well, it's free.
I can't use it at all as it pegs my CPU, and gets the fans running without a single module inserted. Completely useless for me.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Oquasec

17 Sep 2017

Lookin mighty legit for an open source project I tell ya.
Might bother to dig into it at some point just because. :post:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Bumbum

18 Sep 2017

Has anyone tried this yet ?
seems really cool,really reason-like eurorack simulation for win,mac and linux!

https://vcvrack.com/
VCV Rack is the engine powering VCV modules. Add modules, connect cables, edit parameters, and save/load patches. Create generative patches with your mouse, perform with your MIDI keyboard controller, or connect it to your favorite DAW using the Rack Bridge VST/AU plugin (coming soon). In Rack, control voltages and audio signals are equivalent, so you can modulate parameters with sonic-range VCOs to create customizable FM synths or chaotic wave-shaping oscillators. If you already own a modular synthesizer, you can enhance your setup with an audio interface supporting CV signals or a CV-MIDI-CV interface module with Rack's CV Interface (coming soon).
few tutorials:

Loque

18 Sep 2017

Bumbum wrote:
18 Sep 2017
Has anyone tried this yet ?
seems really cool,really reason-like eurorack simulation for win,mac and linux!
Yep, i gave it go. Good sounds, but it may get complicated. Didnt figured out how to setup a poly rack. But i wish, i had all those stuff in Reason, or to be more precise the modulation possibilities. Due i can build this stuff already in Reason, i just miss audio-rate modulation for FM and so on. Only VK-2 can do this atm and most synths dont have direct access to their oscillators or modulation possibilities for them.

I was surprised how much stuff you need, to get a simple lead going and how our synths hide all these stuff :lol:
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

21 Sep 2017

Should be getting a VST wrapper soon? If so that'll greatly reduce my appetite for using Blocks in Reaktor. Cool as they are, I just can't be dealing without front panel patching!

chimp_spanner

02 Oct 2017

Just in case you missed it, a minor update to 0.3.2. Also some great free plugins are starting to become available for it now. Really excited for this to get a VST shell and *crosses fingers* automation support. That + Reason. Woooooooooooooo boy.

AttenuationHz

13 Oct 2017

Yeah was looking to see if it supports VST this thing would be the business in reason! No LFO's yet!? Had a little mess with it there its pretty cool. I've not messed with any sort of modular hardware ever so pretty much lost when it comes to proper routing. Managed to get some sounds out of it though!

If your ears are able..... No clue what I was doing! :mrgreen: :lol:

Wow messing with it after looking at the proper wow to route and 2 hours past, thing is amazing! Turning the knobs is really satisfying.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

This got another update. Good few devices added but most importantly 2 LFO's.

The Midi devices seem to crash it though.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz

16 Oct 2017

If only I could get the stuff I was messing with close to sounding like this beast of a track.

Loque

17 Oct 2017

Just realized, there are several other 3rd party plugins available: https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack/wiki/List-of-plugins
Reason12, Win10

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

:thumbs_up:

Was looking for a list. That must have been just recently added don't remember seeing it yesterday.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

Does LoopMIDI work properly routed into VCV from reason using an EMI device. Don't know if its the program, midi device in VCV, or Reason causing issues for me does not keep time.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

Some of those plugins from that list don't work for me.

Loque

17 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Didnt checked them on my machine, but i saw from the version number, that they differe from actual 0.4 version. This might the reason.
Reason12, Win10

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Didnt checked them on my machine, but i saw from the version number, that they differe from actual 0.4 version. This might the reason.
Think it has something to do with the name of the folder. Meh not bothered looking into a fix wait till the names get resolved.

Check this tut out thought it would be more difficult getting a kick drum from the normal modules. Has my attention atm:

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

Here's what is happening with the EMI into VCV for me is it the same for anyone else? Also does Ableton lite have a similar device to EMI just to test if its a reason or midi module bug?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Does LoopMIDI work properly routed into VCV from reason using an EMI device. Don't know if its the program, midi device in VCV, or Reason causing issues for me does not keep time.
I have not played with VCV yet however I use EMI and LoopMidi a lot to other programs and I have not had any issues with it.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
I have not played with VCV yet however I use EMI and LoopMidi a lot to other programs and I have not had any issues with it.
Good to know I'd say it might be the module in VCV alright

AttenuationHz

18 Oct 2017

Ah found the problem. The audio driver in reason was set to ASIO and in VCV set to MME using the same driver in both :exclamation: fixed the issue

Connect an LFO to EMI pitch bend and into VCV :ugeek:

decoder

19 Oct 2017

http://www.switchedonrack.com/

For anyone interested in this software... Enjoy!

• Information